This thread currently has 3,412 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 24, 2015, 7:49am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Gainsborough Trinity have approached Grimsby Town with a view to taking Hamish Watson on loan.
Paul Hurst says he would be happy for the frontman to get games with Steve Housham's side.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....48-detail/story.html

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
February 24, 2015, 8:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Can we actually loan him ?  I didnt think we had any kind of long term contract with him?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Doctor Sanchez
February 24, 2015, 9:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
I find that frustrating that Paul Hurst says he can't justify playing Hamish ahead of the other strikers because he's not proven at this level.  Liam Hearn wasn't proven at this level and was still given ten games without a goal before he turned into the best goal scorer I've seen at this club.  None of our current strikers have proven anything near that at this level.  It's probably too late in the season now but it's so annoying Hamish wasn't given a fair chance, especially in the FA Trophy games.  I hope he gets to finally play some games, if that's at Gainsborough then so be it.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
oldun
February 24, 2015, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
If he goes there I hope he gets a bag full of goals. You cannot polish a turd but a rough diamond can become a sparkler. I hope he stays and proves himself to be a real find. I had tipped him to get his first goal for town tonight, so I hope he is on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Maringer
February 24, 2015, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
I find that frustrating that Paul Hurst says he can't justify playing Hamish ahead of the other strikers because he's not proven at this level.  Liam Hearn wasn't proven at this level and was still given ten games without a goal before he turned into the best goal scorer I've seen at this club.  None of our current strikers have proven anything near that at this level.  It's probably too late in the season now but it's so annoying Hamish wasn't given a fair chance, especially in the FA Trophy games.  I hope he gets to finally play some games, if that's at Gainsborough then so be it.

Hearn had scored a hatful of goals just one division below us (semi-pro level) before joining. Watson has scored goals at semi-pro level in New Zealand, but don't forget that this is a country currently ranked 136th in the world! That's below such footballing heavyweights as Aruba, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Lesotho, St. Kitts and Nevis to name but a few. Would we be crying out for a relatively inexperienced player from any of these countries to be chucked into the team?

I don't disagree that it would have been nice if Watson had been given a bit more game time in the Trophy matches but, as it stands, it is understandable why he hasn't played too much for us yet. Hopefully the proposed loan move to Gainsborough would be a good one for him - get some game time, perhaps score a few goals and learn more about British football. It seems to me that they are still thinking about him as a future prospect for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
grimsby pete
February 24, 2015, 11:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from moosey_club
Can we actually loan him ?  I didnt think we had any kind of long term contract with him?

We have got him on an undetermined contract, whatever that means,

I think we can keep him as long as we want him,

So he is available for a loan,

Lets hope he goes and scores a bag full in a month ,

Then comes back to us for the final few games.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
moosey_club
February 24, 2015, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
I hope he gets a chance somewhere, having heard him interviewed he has travelled a long way and taken himself away from his home to try and prove himself, the big frustration for us and i can only imagine even greater for him is that while Hurst praises his ability and keeps him on a rolling short term contract of sorts ,he wont actually play him!!!
If he gets some time out on loan and gets match sharp then hopefully he will become an option for us but as it is i dont think he will ever jump ahead of the strikers we have in Hursts mind.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
Doctor Sanchez
February 24, 2015, 11:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

Hearn had scored a hatful of goals just one division below us (semi-pro level) before joining. Watson has scored goals at semi-pro level in New Zealand, but don't forget that this is a country currently ranked 136th in the world! That's below such footballing heavyweights as Aruba, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Lesotho, St. Kitts and Nevis to name but a few. Would we be crying out for a relatively inexperienced player from any of these countries to be chucked into the team?

I don't disagree that it would have been nice if Watson had been given a bit more game time in the Trophy matches but, as it stands, it is understandable why he hasn't played too much for us yet. Hopefully the proposed loan move to Gainsborough would be a good one for him - get some game time, perhaps score a few goals and learn more about British football. It seems to me that they are still thinking about him as a future prospect for us.

I'd say England's world ranking wouldn't be too great if the national team was made up of amateur players as well.  On the evidence I've seen he certainly hasn't looked out of his depth when he's come on to play.  Plus if he goes to Gainsborough and does well, he will still not be proven at this level so will Hurst still not pick him ahead of the others if that's his reason.  Anyways I'm hoping to see him get some game time tonight.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
biggles9999
February 24, 2015, 12:00pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez

I'd say England's world ranking wouldn't be too great if the national team was made up of amateur players as well.  On the evidence I've seen he certainly hasn't looked out of his depth when he's come on to play.  Plus if he goes to Gainsborough and does well, he will still not be proven at this level so will Hurst still not pick him ahead of the others if that's his reason.  Anyways I'm hoping to see him get some game time tonight.

A fair proportion of New Zealands players arent amateur though.

But either way your comment really just proves what Maringer has said. Watson scored goals in a semi pro league in New Zealand, when most if not all of the New Zealanders at International level are professional and playing in stronger leagues.

We have no idea if the Conference South is equivalent to the league that Watson has scored in - or even if it is far far below that level.

Watson has more to prove than Hearn did and I think its right that he goes out game time to see how he does competitively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
ginnywings
February 24, 2015, 5:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Makes perfect sense to me. See what he can do given a run of games. I don't think he is ready to be chucked into a promotion hunt with only a dozen games left to secure a play off spot. He's well down the pecking order for me and rightly so. We have Palmer, Lewis, Pittman, Hannah and Jolley ahead of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kiwi could go to Gainsborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.