Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Qatar World Cup to be in winter.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 282 Guests

Qatar World Cup to be in winter.

This thread currently has 3,862 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 23, 2015, 9:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/

This change just highlights one of the many reasons it shouldn't have been awarded to them in the first place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Caesar
February 23, 2015, 10:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Indeed it was such a joke them having it at all, luckily I don't care about national football anymore excpt as a summer distraction while I wait for the real footie to begin.  

I have one question with moving it though is what will happen to lower league footie?  I know all the focus is on the Euorpean leagues needing to move a break to allow for the world cup, but presumably it would only be the top flight or the top 2 at worst or would they adjust the league structure of the whole league, does anyone know any proposed answer to this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
HackneyHaddock
February 23, 2015, 11:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
The World Cup lasts a month, so presumably we can just start the season a few weeks early and start it a few weeks late?  There are a few seasons to prepare so they can gradually shift the schedules.  

There's no reason why the lower leagues can't just carry on as normal.  It would be great to go see Town on a Saturday afternoon and then settle down to a World Cup game that night, possibly in the "Mariners Trust Sports Bar and Grill" at the recently-opened Fentydome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Maringer
February 24, 2015, 8:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Could affect the top two divisions, (I'm sure that some of the bigger Championship clubs will have the odd international who may be playing), but shouldn't make any difference for us.

Of course, I suppose that there is a chance we will be back in the top two tiers by 2022!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Perkins
February 24, 2015, 8:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Latest seems to be that the final will probably be played on the day before Xmas Eve.
Happy Christmas Mr Blatter. Idiot.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
DocTower
February 24, 2015, 9:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Splatter had this in mind from the very start ,  by then he won't be on the scene so it won't  be his fault.  We might not be bothered either if can't  qualify.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
gary_elton
February 24, 2015, 10:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
The prem and championship... sorry... Divisions one and two would have to close down for 6 weeks.... I presume
that our league  ( div 3 or 4 ) will be allowed to continue...  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
grimsby pete
February 24, 2015, 11:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
The World Cup lasts a month, so presumably we can just start the season a few weeks early and start it a few weeks late?  There are a few seasons to prepare so they can gradually shift the schedules.  

There's no reason why the lower leagues can't just carry on as normal.  It would be great to go see Town on a Saturday afternoon and then settle down to a World Cup game that night, possibly in the "Mariners Trust Sports Bar and Grill" at the recently-opened Fentydome.

Town might not be playing because by 2022 we might be in the Premiere League with 10 internationals playing in the World Cup,

Then again

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
MeanwoodMariner
February 24, 2015, 12:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I was working in Qatar during the time of the 2010 world cup and it was totally inconceivable to hold a tournament there at that time of year. Not just very difficult -totally impossible. They will have known all along that it would be moved to winter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Maringer
February 24, 2015, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I was working in Qatar during the time of the 2010 world cup and it was totally inconceivable to hold a tournament there at that time of year. Not just very difficult -totally impossible. They will have known all along that it would be moved to winter.

I do hope that you aren't suggesting that the whole selection process was a rigged, dishonest, crooked sham. The chaps at FIFA are reknowned for their moral fibre and integrity, doncha know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Qatar World Cup to be in winter.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.