Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2015, 9:03pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/

This change just highlights one of the many reasons it shouldn't have been awarded to them in the first place.
Posted by: Caesar, February 23, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 1
Indeed it was such a joke them having it at all, luckily I don't care about national football anymore excpt as a summer distraction while I wait for the real footie to begin.  

I have one question with moving it though is what will happen to lower league footie?  I know all the focus is on the Euorpean leagues needing to move a break to allow for the world cup, but presumably it would only be the top flight or the top 2 at worst or would they adjust the league structure of the whole league, does anyone know any proposed answer to this?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, February 23, 2015, 11:49pm; Reply: 2
The World Cup lasts a month, so presumably we can just start the season a few weeks early and start it a few weeks late?  There are a few seasons to prepare so they can gradually shift the schedules.  

There's no reason why the lower leagues can't just carry on as normal.  It would be great to go see Town on a Saturday afternoon and then settle down to a World Cup game that night, possibly in the "Mariners Trust Sports Bar and Grill" at the recently-opened Fentydome.
Posted by: Maringer, February 24, 2015, 8:23am; Reply: 3
Could affect the top two divisions, (I'm sure that some of the bigger Championship clubs will have the odd international who may be playing), but shouldn't make any difference for us.

Of course, I suppose that there is a chance we will be back in the top two tiers by 2022!  ;)
Posted by: Perkins, February 24, 2015, 8:40am; Reply: 4
Latest seems to be that the final will probably be played on the day before Xmas Eve.
Happy Christmas Mr Blatter. Idiot.
Posted by: DocTower, February 24, 2015, 9:22am; Reply: 5
Splatter had this in mind from the very start ,  by then he won't be on the scene so it won't  be his fault.  We might not be bothered either if can't  qualify.
Posted by: gary_elton, February 24, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 6
The prem and championship... sorry... Divisions one and two would have to close down for 6 weeks.... I presume
that our league  ( div 3 or 4 ) will be allowed to continue...   ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 24, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 7
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
The World Cup lasts a month, so presumably we can just start the season a few weeks early and start it a few weeks late?  There are a few seasons to prepare so they can gradually shift the schedules.  

There's no reason why the lower leagues can't just carry on as normal.  It would be great to go see Town on a Saturday afternoon and then settle down to a World Cup game that night, possibly in the "Mariners Trust Sports Bar and Grill" at the recently-opened Fentydome.

Town might not be playing because by 2022 we might be in the Premiere League with 10 internationals playing in the World Cup,

Then again :B
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 24, 2015, 12:17pm; Reply: 8
I was working in Qatar during the time of the 2010 world cup and it was totally inconceivable to hold a tournament there at that time of year. Not just very difficult -totally impossible. They will have known all along that it would be moved to winter.
Posted by: Maringer, February 24, 2015, 1:06pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I was working in Qatar during the time of the 2010 world cup and it was totally inconceivable to hold a tournament there at that time of year. Not just very difficult -totally impossible. They will have known all along that it would be moved to winter.

I do hope that you aren't suggesting that the whole selection process was a rigged, dishonest, crooked sham. The chaps at FIFA are reknowned for their moral fibre and integrity, doncha know.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 24, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 10
All  being well we'll be a League 1 or 2 club by then so this world cup could affect league cup dates, maybe with the early rounds being played earlier in quick succession? Who knows
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, February 24, 2015, 2:13pm; Reply: 11
1200 workers dead so far apparantly, the worst part is the various world football associations silence, not a single one even threatened to pull out have they?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2015, 5:11pm; Reply: 12
They are now talking about making the tournament shorter. What a fooking shambles and as pointed out above, the safety record there is totally unacceptable and no-one seems to give a toss. It's not like they can't afford proper safety procedures for the workforce. Would be quite happy if we pulled out in protest but it won't happen.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 24, 2015, 6:01pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
They are now talking about making the tournament shorter. What a fooking shambles and as pointed out above, the safety record there is totally unacceptable and no-one seems to give a toss. It's not like they can't afford proper safety procedures for the workforce. Would be quite happy if we pulled out in protest but it won't happen.

We will be up all night watching 4 or 5 games a day. ;D

I hope the European teams say stuff it, we will miss this one,

AND

Play an extra European one in June instead.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 24, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 14
Amazing what you can do when you have plenty of black gold.
Posted by: LH, February 25, 2015, 7:47am; Reply: 15
Everyone's favourite excrement pundit Phil Neville says this is England's best chance to win a World Cup in years because our players will be fresh after not playing at a million miles an hour in the best league in the world for the previous 9 months.

Yes, Phil - but if the PL clubs continue to buy foreign players so will every other countries players!

Personally I wouldn't be too disappointed if we "failed" to qualify for this one.
Posted by: blundellpork, February 25, 2015, 7:47pm; Reply: 16
They should re-run the bidding process for this World Cup as you can't award it to a country based upon one time of the year and then promptly change it. Only way to be fair on the other bidders is to have a re-vote.

Porky
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, February 25, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 17
There have been many damning articles that have appeared down the years that have shown what a corrupt organisation FIFA is.

This is one of the most damning examples and shows Blatter and his self serving cronies are quite simply crooks looking to line their pockets. male masturbator.

There is no logical reason to award Qatar the World Cup except for £££.

FIFA definately knew it would be near impossible to play a summer World Cup in that region. And that is what makes the whole episode a disgrace.

The voting was based on a Summer World Cup. Not a Winter World Cup.

Once it became obvious it would not be practical to play in the Summer( which by the way was almost immediatley after the vote. FIFA themselves as soon as the vote was confirmed came out with the idea of switching the tournament) the vote should have been declared null and void. Then a new vote based on a Qatar 'winter' bid up against other bids be them summer or winter.

Any credible organisation would have done that. But Blatter & FIFA had already taken the money. And no way does Qatar win the bid based on what we know now.

The dwarf Blatter orchestrated the whole thing. It would not surprise me if he knew from the very beginning a Summer World Cup in Qatar was a no go but was so keen to pocket the money lied. Pushed through the vote on a summer tournament (because a winter one would be a much tougher sell) with the full intention of changing it afterwards.

The whole thing stinks. Football needs to look at itself. The European Clubs & FA's in particular (who are the most powerful) should break away from FIFA and set up a new organisation to replace it
Posted by: gytone, February 25, 2015, 9:09pm; Reply: 18
All European clubs should get together and boycott the whole thing, instead off sitting on the fence and doing nothing !
Posted by: psgmariner, February 25, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 19
I'd like the premier league to just carry on without the missing players like they do for AFCON etc.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 25, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
There have been many damning articles that have appeared down the years that have shown what a corrupt organisation FIFA is.

This is one of the most damning examples and shows Blatter and his self serving cronies are quite simply crooks looking to line their pockets. male masturbator.

There is no logical reason to award Qatar the World Cup except for £££.

FIFA definately knew it would be near impossible to play a summer World Cup in that region. And that is what makes the whole episode a disgrace.

The voting was based on a Summer World Cup. Not a Winter World Cup.

Once it became obvious it would not be practical to play in the Summer( which by the way was almost immediatley after the vote. FIFA themselves as soon as the vote was confirmed came out with the idea of switching the tournament) the vote should have been declared null and void. Then a new vote based on a Qatar 'winter' bid up against other bids be them summer or winter.

Any credible organisation would have done that. But Blatter & FIFA had already taken the money. And no way does Qatar win the bid based on what we know now.

The dwarf Blatter orchestrated the whole thing. It would not surprise me if he knew from the very beginning a Summer World Cup in Qatar was a no go but was so keen to pocket the money lied. Pushed through the vote on a summer tournament (because a winter one would be a much tougher sell) with the full intention of changing it afterwards.

The whole thing stinks. Football needs to look at itself. The European Clubs & FA's in particular (who are the most powerful) should break away from FIFA and set up a new organisation to replace it

I know he is a male private but blatter actually voted for Australia.
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 28, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 21
1200 workers dead so far apparantly, the worst part is the various world football associations silence, not a single one even threatened to pull out have they?

This. What annoys me about the "playing it in Winter" debate is it ise seen as the biggest issue: what about the thousands that will have died from what is little better than slave labour before a ball is kicked?

The tournament should be pulled or teams refuse to play based on that: never mind getting to the stage where we are talknig about the months in which it is played. It seems a sad indictment on priorities when our Premier League managers and directors are talking about the potential clashes with their season, rather than the horrific human rights abuses that are taking place.
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 28, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 22
Quoted from gytone
All European clubs should get together and boycott the whole thing, instead off sitting on the fence and doing nothing !

this. but they won't, however fans could. not just not travelling, but not watching it on TV (viewing figures = sponsor money).

it's a shame that fans aren't more organised. i'm not sure that anyone of any political leaning or whatever would not be opposed to thousands dying to hold what is the international tournament of the game we all love, after all.

couple of fan protests and banners at premier league matches wouldn't hurt. maybe nearer the time it'll happen.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:39am