1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 17, 2015, 2:50pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
I don't subscribe to Mariners Player but i like this idea -

http://www.harriers.co.uk/news/article/news-harriers-player-statement-2276702.aspx?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chrisblor
February 17, 2015, 3:27pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,808
Gold Stars: 234
I'd be absolutely delighted if Town followed this example. Can't see it happening though since they probably make a bit of money off the subscriptions.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
arryarryarry
February 17, 2015, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
I would suspect that Kidderminster's subscription list is much smaller than Town's. My understanding is that Town's is in to 4 figures and at £40.00 p.a. that's a fair wedge.

I appreciate that it all doesn't go back to Town but it is still a good contribution to the coffers, so whether the club would be happy to give up that sort of income, who knows.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
moosey_club
February 18, 2015, 8:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Interesting though that Kiddy appear happy to opt out of updating the Player site, when complaints about quality have been raised on here regards the Player then the answer from the those in the know has been,

"we are tied in to a contract and nothing can be done"

Personally i like the player as it gives an opportunity to see highlights of most games we play and currently that is our only option whilst non league. Rarely use it for anything else, the odd commentary if i am working away and out of Humberside range but as for player interviews and other features then no.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
diehardmariner
February 18, 2015, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,608
Gold Stars: 538
I would be interested to see what sort of income we generate from Mariners Player, I suspect it's jaff all.

Going down the YouTube root, Kidderminster are opening their videos up to everyone who has access to the internet be it via a laptop, smartphone, tablet, SmartTV etc, with that comes far greater viewing figures than those willing to pay £40 a year for the privilege.

I believe, I do stand to be corrected on this, YouTube advertising rates are based on per view of the advert - not per click - but require the whole of the advert to be watched.  

Regardless of the financial benefits, anything that opens up your product to a new audience for free is a good move.  Kidderminster are in complete control of the videos they're putting out, which effectively is a massive advert for their product.  In theory they could edit their match highlights to such a creative extent that their games look so exciting the viewer is drawn into going down to Aggborough.

I like the forward thinking from them.  Bravo.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
moosey_club
February 18, 2015, 10:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from diehardmariner
  In theory they could edit their match highlights to such a creative extent that their games look so exciting the viewer is drawn into going down to Aggborough.

To do that they would be better off just videoing the catering, forget about the football  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
ska face
February 18, 2015, 10:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Put it this way - what impact would the John Lewis advert, or the "We Are Town" video had if they were confined to Mariners Player?

Bring on YouTube.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
psgmariner
February 18, 2015, 11:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We already have a youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_NcjRUfJhoJbCPJn4Wy2A

The only thing not on there is the regular highlights. Would this cause a massive upsurge in traffic and therefore enough to give up the player subscriptions? Not sure.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
LH
February 18, 2015, 11:10am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
They could put highlights on MP for 24hrs for exclusivity before putting them on Youtube if they didn't want to urine off subscribers.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Chrisblor
February 18, 2015, 11:59am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,808
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from LH
They could put highlights on MP for 24hrs for exclusivity before putting them on Youtube if they didn't want to urine off subscribers.

I'd probably cancel my subscription if they did this. I only really use it for highlights (which I'd be happy to wait a bit longer to see for free), and commentary when I can't get it through Humberside (e.g. when I'm outside the UK or Tunein isn't working)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Player

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.