This thread currently has 3,904 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
February 16, 2015, 6:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I despair at times when I see the Town look as if they're going to finally get back into the Football League, only to blow it repeatedly.

The top three seem clear now, and we are looking at one of the other two places to secure another play off place. A scenario that we have had twice before and not one any of the four games played. It will come though, if not this season then another one, because we are too big a club to be languishing where we are currently. Ditto Oxford United, Luton, Carlisle and others who have been there before.

I sincerely hope we do it in my lifetime as I want to be able to to have that genuine excitement again at the possibility of further promotions, of cup runs, and even to suffer the drama and disappointment of more relegations - because you can't have one (promotion) without the other.

I want younger fans to be able to experience what I have over the years, the excitement of being an 11 year old schoolboy and seeing Town hold West Ham, the European Cup winners the previous season, to a highly commendable 2-2 draw at BP, including Moore, Hurst and Peters.

I want them to enjoy the likes of the 4-0 thrashing of Sheffield United on the last day of the 79-80 season to go back up into the 2nd Division (as was then)after 17 seasons away from it. We became an established 2nd Division side in those days and regularly beat the top clubs in that division including the Chelseas and Manchester Citys of this world. I want them to enjoy being part of a huge travelling army of fans like we did at Coventry in 72-3 and Liverpool 79-80 when we took over 20,000 each time.

I want them to enjoy us beating the likes of Everton in 79-80 2-1 in the League Cup, and then away in 84-5 when we were the only club to win at Goodison that season, and the only club to stop them scoring at home because they were the 1st Division Champions that year.

I could go on,but you get my drift, I just want present and future Town fans to have the same wonderful experiences I've had - and it will come again, make no doubt about that. Whether we get it under the current structure and set up is a debate for another posting, but keep the faith, it will come again.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
February 16, 2015, 6:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I agree with John's op,

At the moment I would love to see Town play Rochdale, Accrington and Burton in the league.

I never ever thought I would say that when we played Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool in the league.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
chicaneuk
February 16, 2015, 8:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
I really only got into following town properly the season we we got relegated to the conference - so frankly have never known 'glory' as a town fan. We've only ever been the bridesmaids, never the bride - a couple of trips to Wembley over the years where we lost both times have reaffirmed that.

I really, really want something to cheer about - something to be proud about. At least I can say I was following at the worst of times if we ever do pick ourselves up and get back into proper league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
realist
February 16, 2015, 8:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,680
Gold Stars: 41
I share your pain.  My worry is that we have found our new level and this is our future.
It wasn't so bad when we were a 4th division side. Re-election always saved us from the drop, and there was the occasional cup run or promotion challenge to make a really good season.
Now we are just poor in an abysmal league, and worst of all without hope. I hope I'm wrong but just can't see anything changing for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
AdamHaddock
February 16, 2015, 9:04pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Agree with the above posts. A Tuesday night JPT tie at Morecambe sounds friggin delightful

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
arryarryarry
February 16, 2015, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
I would suggest that many fans of league clubs now view us as "non league" in much the same way I thought that York, Newport were along with the likes of Kettering, Southport etc rather than a club that should be in the Football League.

My fear is that under the present regime we are destined to be here for many seasons to come.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
lukeo
February 17, 2015, 8:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I want us to get promoted so i can see every goal we score through the season! (football league show)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
Caesar
February 17, 2015, 9:22am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
I wass lucky enough to start supporting Town after Buckleys 2 consecutive promotions, experienced many a great day, the Wembley double season etc.  and some great cup runs, so always feel sorry for Town fans like chicaneuk.  However other things in my life and moving meant that while following Town I would only go to a couple of games a season.  I therefore missed some of the worst seasons of the consecutive relegations, knew the result and was dissapointed but didn't really follow the games closely enough to be devestated.  

Alan Buckleys second spell in charge got me back to being a fulltime supporter again, almost feel that the past few seasons have been punishment for me losing interest a little bit during earlier lean years.

As a result of the playoff semi defeats and the weeks of dashed hopes like the past fortnight make me realise one thing.  For all the great experiences I have had as a Town fan getting out of this league will top them all. I just hope its soon that I can celebrae like others about hostingleague football again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Rick12
February 17, 2015, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
For me if we wont don't get promotion this season I would change the manager.Nice guy and I like him but lacks something for me in order to take this club forward and be where it should be.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 17, 2015, 10:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
When we get back into the Football League the priority is to stay there and never be in this situation again.

But, if the club continues to be run like a village flower shop it will become a perpetual struggle to avoid sliding back into the Conference.

There is only one way to be certain future generations of Mariners supporters will be able to see League football and that is to have a long term financial plan aiming to establish us as a League 1 club again. Shoestring soccer is dead and buried. Winging it on a season to season basis doesn't work. Clubs that do that, fail.

The only long term plan we ever hear from the club and the majority shareholder is to move out of BP. Not once have I heard him talk about a long term plan for the playing side of the club. Not once have I heard him say what the club is going to do in the event that we get promoted. Until he does and until we have a manager who clearly shares a long term ambition to see the club back where it belongs (i.e. higher than L2), getting promoted is unlikely. But, if we did, it could even do more harm than good.

Sitting in the boardroom waiting for a mate to cough up a few bob in sponsorship or a kind lottery winner to help out is no way forward. Arguing that nobody comes up with an offer for the club is no excuse. The club needs substantial financial injections as a matter of urgency regardless of the ground issues. The hard truth is that even the euphoria of promotion could rapidly become deep depression again without it. Nothing the fans can do about that so over to you Mr Majority Shareholder.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When we get back in the Football League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.