TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 22, 2015, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
This all seems very odd.

If PH was not in for Jolley as he says, why did he not say so days ago when the speculation began? He must have known that many supporters were being misled by all the links yet he said nothing about it until last night.

Apart from being a slight to fans who are genuinely interested in who the next signing would be, what motive could the manager have? Hurst was the one who started the ball rolling remember with his 'L2 player who didn't know he could go' lark.

So, is it a blind while he looks for someone else?
Is it a lie and Jolley was the one all along?
Is it just that the manager couldn't care less what the fans think or speculate about?

Over to you, Sherlock.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
horsforthmariner
January 22, 2015, 11:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Suspect it was Jolley, who Hurst probably thought was on his way. His agent probably did a ring round and found out there was more interest and that he could probably command a higher wage and thus he's mulling his options.

May still end up here but Hurst is hedging his bets.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
ginnywings
January 22, 2015, 11:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
As i understand it, we have enquired about Jolley before and i can't imagine PH has not sussed the situation regarding him, despite what he said last night. With all the Gateshead to-ing and fro-ing, he probably hasn't had much time to sort anything with himself and JF going up and down the A1 all week.

Mr Hurst is very inscrutable and i think Jolley is the target. Whether we get him remains to be seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
BIGChris
January 22, 2015, 11:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
All I can recall Hurst saying was about the League two player who didnt know he was available. That description doesnt sound like Jolley because he has been available most of the season on loan, and prior to Hursts comments, for transfer.

I am quite happy that nothing much is given away until deals are completed. yes, all fans like to speculate  but do your business under the radar and announce when complete.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
jonnyboy82
January 22, 2015, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
makes it more odd when BBC humberside tweeted that jolley was set to sign for us !

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
grimsby pete
January 22, 2015, 12:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I have said it before and I will say it again,

I hate it when managers come out and say we are looking at or after x y or z,

I would rather the manager just says,

WE HAVE SIGNED HIM.!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
pontoonlew
January 22, 2015, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
After the whole 'hairs on the back of the neck' rubbish from the summer, I would've hoped the club had learnt their lesson not to build up fans hopes. Not exactly great for fan morale when yet again it starts to look like we're missing out on yet another forward.

Don't say anything, until the signing is complete.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
chaos33
January 22, 2015, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,869
Gold Stars: 353
I understand the point BC, but the club don't help themselves in some of their statements (or leaks) implying that exciting signings are imminent, and the nothing materialises. As you say, perhaps they should keep quiet, do the business discretely and then announce details when deals are done.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 22, 2015, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chaos33
I understand the point BC, but the club don't help themselves in some of their statements (or leaks) implying that exciting signings are imminent, and the nothing materialises. As you say, perhaps they should keep quiet, do the business discretely and then announce details when deals are done.

I think that's the main point. The club initiated the business in the first place, not the supporters. So the club was trying to gee up the fans. Then while the fans are busy playing 'guess the striker' the whole thing goes pear shaped and not for the first time.

It would be far better if as far as possible we went back to the days when a player was signed and then it was made public. That will never work 100% but it beats this up and down speculating prompted by leaks and statements by the club.

For us fans I would repeat what I said on another thread - don't believe a word about a signing until you see the player sitting on the bench.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
BPMariner
January 22, 2015, 12:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: -61
Gold Stars: 6
Why is it curious? Radio Humberside built it up and got us all excited but they need to hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. Why do supporters think that it is written on stone when they come out with these ridiculous rumors? Paul Hurst had 'made a bid' for a League 2 player and the offer was accepted by his club. If it was Jolley then why would Newport, after they had received a money offer for him, decide to pay up his contract?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Curious Case Of Mr Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.