This thread currently has 5,783 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
January 18, 2015, 6:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
There as been quite a bit of bad mouthing on here about him but yesterday credit to him he got it absolutely RIGHT. Ollie Palmer may just well be a master stroke he not only scored a lovely goal but made another and on another day could have had a hat trick. The fans and the players have taken a instant liking to the guy who seems to be a talisman.

Still early days but if Palmer can be the catalyst and lead the front line this gives our defence more time to become a tighter unit and become more attack minded. With the imminent signings of one or two further players this sounds like good intent by Hurst I for one am willing to give him a chance.

Still all to play for bring em on.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
AlanPoutonsTackle
January 18, 2015, 7:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Hurst makes a habit getting it right against teams at the top end. I need to see us put some smaller teams to bed. You look at the league table we are a couple of wins from mid table and look at how many points we have thrown against strugglers. Get the tactics right against those teams and we will start to look like a promotion team. Although credit where its due well done PH and lads now lets kick on from here.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
TAGG
January 18, 2015, 9:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Give him and the players great credit for yesterday, got the tactics right, played our own game at a fast tempo, for once didnt give a excrement about how the opposition went about there game and we attacked from the off.
Having said that it will take more than one game to change my mind about Hurst.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
denni266
January 18, 2015, 9:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
Proud to be a town fan this morning.. .It  seemed a different team yesterday with a different  manager and game plan,  one game wont change my mind about  Hurst either. but it was big step in the right direction yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
BIGChris
January 18, 2015, 9:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Fair play to TAGG & denni for their posts. I too hope this isnt a one off.

Seems Martin Allen was taken by surprise as he expected us to play  narrow as he had seen us v Gateshead last week
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 18, 2015, 9:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It was nice to see Hurst more relaxed in interview after the game. I don't know if anyone noticed but his pre-match Telewag interview was much more upbeat than his normal as well. Seemed to me that the side reflected this positivity.

But the proof of the pudding will be in the next league game when the fans need to see the same disrespect for the opposition. We saw Town steamroller Barnet and that is the way to play to get out of this league. As a team performance it was better than the Gateshead and Alfreton matches where the scores owed a fair bit to bad defending. Barnet were pressured from start to finish and Town's constant chasing and pressure would have deserved at least 2 more goals.

I hope the manager realises from this game that worrying about the opposition is the road to failure. Just get our own game right.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
January 18, 2015, 10:18am
Guest User
More consistent performances like yesterday at home and we will be right up there come May. Our home form is the problem, only Braintree, Wrexham and Altringham have lost more games at home in the top 18 this season. Lets hope Paul focuses on our strengths instead of the oppositions weaknesses.
Reply: 6 - 34
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 18, 2015, 10:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,504
Gold Stars: 64
Agree with all the above and we have been here before, remember last year when we went to Cambridge and won, but we all hope this is the going to be the norm and not the exception!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
maxfox44
January 18, 2015, 11:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Love the way all of goals were scored with Hurst sat in the stand.  Diog was giving like a dutch windmill, when he was on his own in the dugout.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
Sussexmariner
January 18, 2015, 11:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Like most fans here I was blown away by the performance yesterday, well done the Town players and well done Hurst.

The one thing that all successful teams have is the players "playing for their manager" I have never doubted Hursts ability to get players to play for him, he shows tremendous loyalty to his team (too much sometimes in my opinion) but it's just this inconsistency thing that has plagued his time here. Yesterday's performance was full of pace, power and commitment for 90 minutes and even after going behind on 5 minutes you could see it just made the players more focused on making sure that this was a game they were going to win!

Because of this one performance all the gloom has lifted off The fishy which can only be a good thing but as someone said earlier "we've been her before" The Barnet game is now a benchmark for the rest of the season, I'm not saying we should win all the remaining games but if we can have that sort of performance and commitment till the end of the season, we could have a chance of getting out of this God forsaken League!!

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PAUL HURST

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.