Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
WappingMariner
January 14, 2015, 8:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
Having read the article in full, I don't see why the club has opted to do this. They've taken one idea and completely blurred it with something else. Does Nick Dale not realise that the sole purpose of wanting fans in the Osmond was to create a better atmosphere. Now, if I'm not mistaken, only those who buy a family ticket will be allowed into the Osmond. First of all, I can't see many families opting to move from the Main Stand or Smiths to sit in a stand where the view is obviously nowhere as good. Secondly, I don't envisage them, or expect them, to create an atmosphere similar to that which a core group of Town fans regularly do away from home.

Dale's idea that if those fans (more than likely from Lower Smiths end closest to the Osmond or the group in the top left of the Pontoon) are allowed in the Osmond it will result in disorder is dangerous. He's meant to be the stadium manager. One of the key responsibilities of his job should be customer satisfaction. What really annoys me about him is that, similar to Fenty, he likes to think his status is somewhat higher than the supporters, some of whom will have spent a lot of money watching Town over a very, very long time.

As a fellow Town supporter pointed out to me this afternoon, if the new arrangement fails (which the club probably wants it to) then the chance of it happening again will be gone because the club will argue it tried to "meet the demands of the supporters before". I would also not be surprised that when the new stadium arrives it'll be without safe-standing despite Fenty himself saying that "it is being considered".

Again, I would to share with you this article from the Evening Standard last Friday about Crystal Palace and the Holmesdale Fanatics. http://www.standard.co.uk/spor.....anatics-9967795.html

It explains how the Holmesdale Fanatics worked with the club to ensure they could be given an area in the ground, despite the reservations of stewards, police etc. It's obvious the effect it's had at Selhurst Park and many former players who are now pundits have commented on how the atmosphere has never been as boisterous as it is now.

We all saw how much noise the Lincoln fans made on December 28th. Out all of their fans, there must have been a core group of 100/200? who sang near enough all the way through the match. And they were loud. All it would take is to have a similar number of Town fans in the Osmond to create the same atmosphere. Now, Dale suggests that if certain members of Town's following who create the most noise were allowed in the Osmond there would be a heightened risk of disorder. If so, and if he is going to make such a pithy argument, then how about a cap of the number of home fans in the Osmond. I wouldn't agree with it but if it meant that the Trust could offer a compromise at least it'd demonstrate that they tried to negotiate an alternative. I'm glad we have such a progressive, forward-thinking Trust who are prepared to push for change.

I also feel the Telegraph could be doing more to support the Trust's cause. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's anything like a column from Terry, for example? He should be given a platform. I'd much rather read what he is saying than any of the drivel that appears in the paper.

Returning to the issue of what the Telegraph could have done here. Instead of publishing stories such as "When's Sports Personality of the Year?" and other SEO friendly rubbish, they could've easily published a poll on the website about the Osmond. If people answered, which I'm sure many would, they could've printed a back page or at least a page lead with the headline 'Town fans want to move to the Osmond', for example. It's dead simple stuff and it'd given some proper traction to the idea. But you know what? It won't happen because the paper is petrified of upsetting Fenty. They'll use the excuse, we rely on the club to provide us with stories so that we can still operate. That is absolute nonsense.

Mr Fenty and Mr Dale I'd love to hear your views on the above.

Yours,

Wapping Mariner

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Biccys
January 14, 2015, 8:21pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
John has always been approachable by email, send this to him. I'm sure he'll reply. Great post BTW.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 44
January 14, 2015, 8:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from WappingMariner
Having read the article in full, I don't see why the club has opted to do this. They've taken one idea and completely blurred it with something else. Does Nick Dale not realise that the sole purpose of wanting fans in the Osmond was to create a better atmosphere. Now, if I'm not mistaken, only those who buy a family ticket will be allowed into the Osmond. First of all, I can't see many families opting to move from the Main Stand or Smiths to sit in a stand where the view is obviously nowhere as good. Secondly, I don't envisage them, or expect them, to create an atmosphere similar to that which a core group of Town fans regularly do away from home.

Dale's idea that if those fans (more than likely from Lower Smiths end closest to the Osmond or the group in the top left of the Pontoon) are allowed in the Osmond it will result in disorder is dangerous. He's meant to be the stadium manager. One of the key responsibilities of his job should be customer satisfaction. What really annoys me about him is that, similar to Fenty, he likes to think his status is somewhat higher than the supporters, some of whom will have spent a lot of money watching Town over a very, very long time.

As a fellow Town supporter pointed out to me this afternoon, if the new arrangement fails (which the club probably wants it to) then the chance of it happening again will be gone because the club will argue it tried to "meet the demands of the supporters before". I would also not be surprised that when the new stadium arrives it'll be without safe-standing despite Fenty himself saying that "it is being considered".

Again I would to share with you this article from the Evening Standard last Friday about Crystal Palace and the Holmesdale Fanatics. http://www.standard.co.uk/spor.....anatics-9967795.html

It explains how the Holmesdale Fanatics worked with the club to ensure they could be given an area in the ground, despite the reservations of stewards, police etc. It's obvious the effect it's had at Selhurst Park and many former players who are now pundits have commented on how the atmosphere has never been as boisterous as it is now.

We all saw how much noise the Lincoln fans made on December 28th. Out all of their fans, there must have been a core group of 100/200? who sang near enough all the way through the match. And they were loud. All it would take is to have a similar number of Town fans in the Osmond to create the same atmosphere. Now, Dale suggests that if certain members of Town's following who create the most noise were allowed in the Osmond there would be a heightened risk of disorder. If so, and if he is going to make such a pithy argument, then how about a cap of the number of home fans in the Osmond. I wouldn't agree with it but if it meant that the Trust could offer a compromise at least it'd demonstrate that they tried to negotiate an alternative. I'm glad we have such a progressive, forward-thinking Trust who are prepared to push for change.

I also feel the Telegraph could be doing more to support the Trust's cause. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's anything like a column from Terry, for example? He should be given a platform. I'd much rather read what he is saying than any of the other drivel that appears in the paper.

Returning to the issue of what the Telegraph could have done here. Instead of publishing stories such as "When's Sports Personality of the Year?" and other SEO friendly rubbish, they could've easily published a poll on the website about the Osmond. If people answered, which I'm sure many would, they could print a back page or at least a page lead with the headline 'Town fans want to move to the Osmond', for example. It's dead simple stuff and it'd given some proper traction to the idea. But you know what? It won't happen because the paper is petrified of upsetting Fenty. They'll use the excuse, we rely on the club to provide us with stories so that we can still operate. That is absolute nonsense.

Mr Fenty and Mr Dale I'd love to hear your views on the above.

Yours,

Wapping Mariner

Don't be silly don't you realise every Grimsby Town fan under the age of 25 only supports town to attack the away fans. Especially with the fierce rivalry we have with Barnet. Or does the club want to see how this system operates with family's before they let those thugs into the Osmond. (Contains sarcasm)

The annoying thing is the vocal fans at the away games are all spread out around the ground and many of them are season ticket holders. Could the club not allow all season ticket holders to exchange a season ticket for a ticket in the Osmond even if it meant us paying a small fee to exchange them. 100 or so vocal fans in the Osmond would make a right racket if given the opportunity to do so but sadly I cant see it happening.
Reply: 33 - 44
WappingMariner
January 14, 2015, 8:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from 1739

Don't be silly don't you realise every Grimsby Town fan under the age of 25 only supports town to attack the away fans. Especially with the fierce rivalry we have with Barnet. Or does the club want to see how this system operates with family's before they let those thugs into the Osmond. (Contains sarcasm) Sarcasm not lost here my friend.

The annoying thing is the vocal fans at the away games are all spread out around the ground and many of them are season ticket holders. Could the club not allow all season ticket holders to exchange a season ticket for a ticket in the Osmond even if it meant us paying a small fee to exchange them. 100 or so vocal fans in the Osmond would make a right racket if given the opportunity to do so but sadly I cant see it happening.

Exactly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 14, 2015, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
As we also spoke about earlier WM, and it says above, when standing (and free to move and not all ticketed) at away games the atmosphere is a throwback to what the atmosphere used to be like. What you did forget to ad was the fact palace worked WITH the fans for the playoffs (and away games) to seat the holmesdale fanatics together.

I remember going to selhurst park in the late 90's-mid00's and although loud, it is nothing like it is now. Is john still reading on here?? If so, take heed of what the fans are saying, listen to the fans and they will listen to you

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
WappingMariner
January 14, 2015, 8:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
As we also spoke about earlier WM, and it says above, when standing (and free to move and not all ticketed) at away games the atmosphere is a throwback to what the atmosphere used to be like. What you did forget to ad was the fact palace worked WITH the fans for the playoffs (and away games) to seat the holmesdale fanatics together.

I remember going to selhurst park in the late 90's-mid00's and although loud, it is nothing like it is now. Is john still reading on here?? If so, take heed of what the fans are saying, listen to the fans and they will listen to you

Ta Woz. I did include the bit re. playoffs in my post on Friday about Selhurst Park but for some reason didn't use the reference tonight. Cheers for adding it in for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
immariner
January 14, 2015, 8:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Has it been confirmed that only those who buy the family ticket may sit in the Osmond Stand? If this is the case and you want to sit in there and make some noise, you buy the family ticket and sit with a mate. Granted, this restricts the capacity of the Osmond to half if everybody were to do it but at least then there'll be an atmosphere generated in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
ginnywings
January 14, 2015, 9:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from immariner
Has it been confirmed that only those who buy the family ticket may sit in the Osmond Stand? If this is the case and you want to sit in there and make some noise, you buy the family ticket and sit with a mate. Granted, this restricts the capacity of the Osmond to half if everybody were to do it but at least then there'll be an atmosphere generated in there.

You obviously aint seen my mate in a dress.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
immariner
January 14, 2015, 9:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Haha So you're implying the club would discriminate against same sex couples whose two children happened not to fancy going to the game that day? For shame!

It would be hilarious though to see a load of blokes dressed up as women trying to evade the suspicions of the stewards!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Today's telegraph - osmand stand

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.