3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2015, 5:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I'd have thought Hurst would be privately desperate for a win regardless of the competition. Another defeat would really damage morale. Even though this is a lesser game he should play a strong side and go for it.

Unfortunately his interview in the GT is all about Gateshead and how they play, nothing at all about his own side and how he wants them to play.

He may get lucky this week and grind out a draw or even a narrow win but the entertainment value won't be up to much from the way he's taking.. He'll still be in charge on Monday regardless.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Maringer
January 9, 2015, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Unfortunately his interview in the GT is all about Gateshead and how they play, nothing at all about his own side and how he wants them to play.

Really? Here's what I took from that brief article:

Regardless of whether or not we set up the team the same as the away game, he wants us to stick to the same principle that led to that result.

He wants the team to be patient as he believes that is they key element against Gateshead.

When Gateshead have spells of possession he wants the players to keep their shape and not go chasing the ball but he also wants them to understand the times when it is right to press the opposition to win the ball.

Pretty straightforward, really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
mariner paul
January 9, 2015, 7:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
Not bothered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2015, 8:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Really? Here's what I took from that brief article:

Regardless of whether or not we set up the team the same as the away game, he wants us to stick to the same principle that led to that result.

He wants the team to be patient as he believes that is they key element against Gateshead.

When Gateshead have spells of possession he wants the players to keep their shape and not go chasing the ball but he also wants them to understand the times when it is right to press the opposition to win the ball.

Pretty straightforward, really.

In other words we go on the field and wait and react to what the opposition does. I have no doubt this is a good way to play away from home but forgive me for thinking that it should be for Gateshead to be worrying about patience and keeping shape and for Town to be planning positively about dominating a game at BP. I suppose it is naive of me.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Grimal
January 9, 2015, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Town 1  ---   The Heed  1
Pitman
Rankine

1670  (34 Geordies ).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Maringer
January 9, 2015, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker

In other words we go on the field and wait and react to what the opposition does. I have no doubt this is a good way to play away from home but forgive me for thinking that it should be for Gateshead to be worrying about patience and keeping shape and for Town to be planning positively about dominating a game at BP. I suppose it is naive of me.

It's called a gameplan!

The opposition is good on the ball, so you make sure you don't go chasing it and only press when it is sensible to do so. This is the same tactics used in the away match which we won 6-1!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2015, 10:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It's called a gameplan!

The opposition is good on the ball, so you make sure you don't go chasing it and only press when it is sensible to do so. This is the same tactics used in the away match which we won 6-1!

Quite so. I thought this game was at BP. My mistake obviously.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
LH
January 9, 2015, 10:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
2-1 Town. LJL and Palmer. Att 1450ish with 37 (20 Gateshead fans and 17 Newcastle fans who didn't get tickets at Chelsea but were offered free travel by Gateshead).

Still undecided whether to go or not. I hate missing home games when I'm in GY because I miss a lot of midweek home games but we're awful to watch at the minute (which might have been covered on here although I've not noticed anything on the subject )
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Maringer
January 9, 2015, 11:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Quite so. I thought this game was at BP. My mistake obviously.

Hurst is never going to be a Tinkerman and change things for the sake of it, especially as his teams are set up to be defensively-minded. Think of him as a budget David Moyes, if you like.

Anyway, a these tactics have proven successful against Gateshead earlier this season, I can confidently predict another 6-1 victory tomorrow.  

I've decided to go to the game. Too tempting to miss. Unfortunately, my young nephew is coming and we seem to lose every bloody game he attends!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Grantham_Mariner
January 10, 2015, 1:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Les Brechin
1-1 Att. 1111 (11 away).

Att 888 (8 away)  8-8...............you heard it here first

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town  v  Gateshead Predictions 

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.