Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The existing squad - who would you let go?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

The existing squad - who would you let go?

This thread currently has 3,806 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Get rid of MacKreth who has been without doubt our best player in the last 4 games. He has finally got a run and he's playing well.

Parslow and Arnold can go, yes.

He's finally got a run....but doesn't know which direction to go in I would say

I'm not going to knock him down before he's built up a reputation (and I take on board his assists stats etc) but I just don't see him being someone who excites the crowd or delivers like for example Neilson can (and last season, Alex Rodman)

Maybe there's a weight of expectation when he gets the ball but for me he's way too cautious for someone playing out wide....instructions from his boss though maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 25
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2015, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Get rid of MacKreth who has been without doubt our best player in the last 4 games. He has finally got a run and he's playing well.

I've been on holiday so I don't know but if Mackreth has been our best player then the rest must have been excrement!!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
horsforthmariner
January 2, 2015, 6:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Basically if we don't go up I'd want to keep - Mckeown, Toto, Pearson, Magnay, Neilson, Clay, Brown, Disley, Shop.
I haven't seen enough of Winfarrah, Walker Humble or Watson to know.

Bignot is average and we need to get better. Thomas I have mixed feelings about when I first saw him I thought he was the best left back in the league. But I've seen him make too many mistakes and he doesnt offer that much going forward - if we want to challenge for the title we need to replace with better. The same is true of our wingers. Arnold and Mackraith aren't bad players but they don't tear sides apart. again the sides that get promoted tend to have wingers that make a difference. Parslow is ok as a holding midfielder but too slow for defence. Likewise Hannah would be a decent striker at lower level teams like Southport, Dover and Lincoln but simply not good enough as a back up striker for a team aiming to win the title. Pittman I'm not convinced by either I don't know what his role is. is he a shop mark 2 or is he the livewire striker who can finish on a sixpence. At the moment I don't think he's either. Paddy is obviously on his way out and if we could get rid in January and save some cash this would be good.

To be fair to Hurst all of the players I'd let go are better than the dross of Kenny Arthur, Lee Ridley Darren Kempson, Michael Leary, Serge Mafoko etc we were buying when we first got down here. We seem now to be able to attract good players but not title winning players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
carrot top
January 2, 2015, 6:38pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
I'd get rid of Makreth (hardly ever takes anyone on) Parslow (average at best)Thomas (idle) Arnold (ditto) Brown (best midfielder in the league my bottom) Clay (wasn't good enough for Halifax and I can see why)
All PH signings. We need a powerhouse midfielder with a bit of muscle. A pacy winger and somebody who is a proven scorer at this level. Finally a Manager who can motivate and has some tactical nouse, especially at home
I'm fed up of going to games and coming away feeling like I've wasted my money on watching dross

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Paul62
January 2, 2015, 8:39pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +9
Going to be controversial but most of us think we need the midfield strengthening but why haven't we been able to build a stronger one around Disley. He has been our most reliable player but maybe this is our problem with a style of play that suits only one player in the midfield. I would let Disley go.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
wiggers
January 2, 2015, 9:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Personally I don't want to see players leave but I would like to see three additions. A striker, a winger and another central midfielder. If we got these in then we could probably afford to lose one or two. Probably Watson and Paddy for me. Paddy hasn't done anything  wrong but never seems to get a chance so might as well let him go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
davmariner
January 2, 2015, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
If we can get rid of Arnold by terminating the loan then we should do so and get someone in that is hungry to play.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
arryarryarry
January 2, 2015, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

Have you seen the last 4 games?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
jamesgtfc
January 2, 2015, 11:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Personally I would let Parslow, Bignot and Hannah go. Bignot just doesn't fill me with confidence at all. Hannah hasn't impressed this season and isn't in favour. Personally think we should push the boat out and go for a marquee signing, although who I'm not so sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
arryarryarry
January 2, 2015, 11:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Personally I would let Parslow, Bignot and Hannah go. Bignot just doesn't fill me with confidence at all. Hannah hasn't impressed this season and isn't in favour. Personally think we should push the boat out and go for a marquee signing, although who I'm not so sure.

You want someone shaped like a big tent and flaps about in the wind?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The existing squad - who would you let go?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.