Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 5:17pm
Including the loanees and short-term contracts, I would replace:

Parslow, Arnold, Hannah, Walker, Watson, Bignot, Mackreth and either (controversially) of Disley or Brown with a pacier central midfielder
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 2, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 1
Get rid of Diz who gets the goals from  mid?
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, January 2, 2015, 5:32pm; Reply: 2
Brown has not lived up to the hype that accompanied him.Loses the ball far too easily ,gives away cheap free kicks and will never get you even a quarter of the goals Disley does.And as for dead balls! Why did we give the three youngsters contracts if it wasn't to at least involve them at least sometimes?Whatever Hannah showed is a distant memory.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, January 2, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Parslow, Arnold, Hannah, Walker, Watson, Bignot, Mackreth and either (controversially) of Disley or Brown with a pacier central midfielder

How can we afford to pay off 8 players then replace them with better this time of year.

I can only see this amount of change at the end of a season.

for me I can see
Bignot and Paddy going and possibly Watson, Unfortunately I can see Parslow staying till the end of the season.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, January 2, 2015, 5:35pm; Reply: 4
I personally think that if we are in this league next year. Only McKeown, Disley and Possibly Pearson will play for us.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 2, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I personally think that if we are in this league next year. Only McKeown, Disley and Possibly Pearson will play for us.

we will struggle with only 3 players
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 2, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Get rid of MacKreth who has been without doubt our best player in the last 4 games. He has finally got a run and he's playing well.

Parslow and Arnold can go, yes.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 2, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Get rid of MacKreth who has been without doubt our best player in the last 4 games. He has finally got a run and he's playing well.

I would say there is a hell of a lot of doubt about that!!!
Posted by: Maringer, January 2, 2015, 5:50pm; Reply: 8
Players who I do not expect to be with us at the start of the 2015/16 season:

Thomas - I've now decided he just has way too many off days for me. I now expect the worse rather than hope for the best.
Parslow - Even if he signs for the rest of this season, surely we need better longer-term? Jack of all trades, master of none.
Bignot - OK, but obviously not in favour.
Arnold - Started well enough (when finally fit), but doesn't really look like he's that bothered.
McLaughlin - Never really played this season and only a bit-part player in other years as well.
Hannah - Not a threat in recent years though you can't fault his workrate. Perhaps he'll do OK elsewhere?
Neilson - Huge amount of ability. Unfortunately, often no idea how best to use it. Will probably move back down south, I expect.
Watson - An odd signing (though probably cheap). Basically, a not quite fit Kiwi amateur trying his luck.

No idea if any/how many of these will depart before the end of the season.

I don't doubt a number of other players will be on their way as well (possibly one or two going to bigger and better things), but again, no idea who this might be.
Posted by: mariner91, January 2, 2015, 6:01pm; Reply: 9

Has he?!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 6:08pm; Reply: 10

He's finally got a run....but doesn't know which direction to go in I would say

I'm not going to knock him down before he's built up a reputation (and I take on board his assists stats etc) but I just don't see him being someone who excites the crowd or delivers like for example Neilson can (and last season, Alex Rodman)

Maybe there's a weight of expectation when he gets the ball but for me he's way too cautious for someone playing out wide....instructions from his boss though maybe?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 6:10pm; Reply: 11

I've been on holiday so I don't know but if Mackreth has been our best player then the rest must have been excrement!!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 2, 2015, 6:27pm; Reply: 12
Basically if we don't go up I'd want to keep - Mckeown, Toto, Pearson, Magnay, Neilson, Clay, Brown, Disley, Shop.
I haven't seen enough of Winfarrah, Walker Humble or Watson to know.

Bignot is average and we need to get better. Thomas I have mixed feelings about when I first saw him I thought he was the best left back in the league. But I've seen him make too many mistakes and he doesnt offer that much going forward - if we want to challenge for the title we need to replace with better. The same is true of our wingers. Arnold and Mackraith aren't bad players but they don't tear sides apart. again the sides that get promoted tend to have wingers that make a difference. Parslow is ok as a holding midfielder but too slow for defence. Likewise Hannah would be a decent striker at lower level teams like Southport, Dover and Lincoln but simply not good enough as a back up striker for a team aiming to win the title. Pittman I'm not convinced by either I don't know what his role is. is he a shop mark 2 or is he the livewire striker who can finish on a sixpence. At the moment I don't think he's either. Paddy is obviously on his way out and if we could get rid in January and save some cash this would be good.

To be fair to Hurst all of the players I'd let go are better than the dross of Kenny Arthur, Lee Ridley Darren Kempson, Michael Leary, Serge Mafoko etc we were buying when we first got down here. We seem now to be able to attract good players but not title winning players.
Posted by: carrot top, January 2, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 13
I'd get rid of Makreth (hardly ever takes anyone on) Parslow (average at best)Thomas (idle) Arnold (ditto) Brown (best midfielder in the league my bottom) Clay (wasn't good enough for Halifax and I can see why)
All PH signings. We need a powerhouse midfielder with a bit of muscle. A pacy winger and somebody who is a proven scorer at this level. Finally a Manager who can motivate and has some tactical nouse, especially at home
I'm fed up of going to games and coming away feeling like I've wasted my money on watching dross
Posted by: Paul62, January 2, 2015, 8:39pm; Reply: 14
Going to be controversial but most of us think we need the midfield strengthening but why haven't we been able to build a stronger one around Disley. He has been our most reliable player but maybe this is our problem with a style of play that suits only one player in the midfield. I would let Disley go.  
Posted by: wiggers, January 2, 2015, 9:46pm; Reply: 15
Personally I don't want to see players leave but I would like to see three additions. A striker, a winger and another central midfielder. If we got these in then we could probably afford to lose one or two. Probably Watson and Paddy for me. Paddy hasn't done anything  wrong but never seems to get a chance so might as well let him go.
Posted by: davmariner, January 2, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 16
If we can get rid of Arnold by terminating the loan then we should do so and get someone in that is hungry to play.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 2, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 17

Have you seen the last 4 games?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 2, 2015, 11:26pm; Reply: 18
Personally I would let Parslow, Bignot and Hannah go. Bignot just doesn't fill me with confidence at all. Hannah hasn't impressed this season and isn't in favour. Personally think we should push the boat out and go for a marquee signing, although who I'm not so sure.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 2, 2015, 11:49pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Personally I would let Parslow, Bignot and Hannah go. Bignot just doesn't fill me with confidence at all. Hannah hasn't impressed this season and isn't in favour. Personally think we should push the boat out and go for a marquee signing, although who I'm not so sure.

You want someone shaped like a big tent and flaps about in the wind?
Posted by: sparko501, January 3, 2015, 12:09am; Reply: 20
None of them at the moment
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 3, 2015, 3:16pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That would show our intent.  ;)

Seriously though as much as I would like us to bring in some quality is there likely to be anyone out there who clubs are prepared to release and then a player that might want to come to us

If there are quality players out there why would their club want to get rid? Money talks of course but we don't facking have any do we?
Posted by: DocTower, January 3, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 22
If , and it's  a big if we do get a loan player in what do we normally get . Can't  say I'm  brimming with confidence.  We have the players already as far as I'm  concerned , it's  what you do with them .
Posted by: denni266, January 3, 2015, 6:00pm; Reply: 23
Just the manager  to go
Posted by: Garth, January 3, 2015, 7:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

You want someone shaped like a big tent and flaps about in the wind?

With no strings attached
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 3, 2015, 7:21pm; Reply: 25
It might be harder to get rid of players than it is to find new ones. ;D
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 4:35pm