BIGChris
December 19, 2014, 11:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Chrisblor

Can't comment on the Torquay game since I wasn't there, but he wasn't that impressive playing there against Wrexham and they put us under a fair bit of sustained pressure in the second half while we sat back. You'd expect a defensive midfielder to stop that kind of thing from happening. He certainly cost us two points playing as a holding midfielder against Altrincham when he basically passed an easy clearance straight back to them in stoppage time.

I'd definitely favour playing him in defense (centre half / right back) or not at all. Clay can play the defensive midfield role a lot better than Parslow.

I thought he was excellent at Wrexham. We were under pressure but his presence contributed hugely to the clean sheet and the 3 points in my view and they resorted to hoofing it in as they couldnt play through us.

I am not saying i'd play him in that role tonight but he has made a significant contribution to away wins earlier in the season
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
chaos33
December 19, 2014, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
He's not a holding midfielder IMO and he's a player I've seen a fair bit of. The last time I saw him playing there (Halifax at home) I thought he was very unimpressive. For me he is a very solid utility defender and is dependable and generally consistent, but every one of our other midfielders has more to offer there for me.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
diehardmariner
December 19, 2014, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
I definitely disagree that any of our other midfielders are more than capable of Parslow in that holding role, simply because it's not their game.  

I'm sure a few will state Brown is a more accomplished holding midfielder but for me there is a massive difference between a deep lying midfielder like Brown and a holding midfielder.  If we play a holding midfielder I want him to screen the back four, with little focus on anything else.  Brown's game is about getting the ball deep, starting the passing and bridging the gap between defence and midfield.  

Disley and Clay would be wasted in a holding role, nor have I seen they have  the attributes to succeed it at.  They're box-to-box players in my eyes.

The role Parslow plays is something we will need to utilise at times for the remainder of the season but against any opposition I don't want to see it at home games, nor do I think Parslow has the technical abilities to play in a more traditional four man midfield.  For me he is there as defensive cover and when needed a holding midfielder.  

With regards Parslow at right-back, I would prefer Walker in all honesty (assuming Magnay switches across to left-back) as he brings more pace and attacking threat.  Magnay is naturally reluctant to go forward as much when he's on his wrong side, with Parslow on the right that leaves us with a real lack of attack from the full-backs.  
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Chrisblor
December 19, 2014, 12:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from BIGChris

I thought he was excellent at Wrexham. We were under pressure but his presence contributed hugely to the clean sheet and the 3 points in my view and they resorted to hoofing it in as they couldnt play through us.

I am not saying i'd play him in that role tonight but he has made a significant contribution to away wins earlier in the season

Yeah that's fair enough. I just think he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole playing there. I'm not totally opposed to him playing that position in tight away games against better opposition, but I feel Hurst has been too reliant on playing him there against weaker opponents (both home & away), when a more expansive and attacking set-up would probably have netted us a few extra points.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
chaos33
December 20, 2014, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
I definitely disagree that any of our other midfielders are more than capable of Parslow in that holding role, simply because it's not their game.  

I'm sure a few will state Brown is a more accomplished holding midfielder but for me there is a massive difference between a deep lying midfielder like Brown and a holding midfielder.  If we play a holding midfielder I want him to screen the back four, with little focus on anything else.  Brown's game is about getting the ball deep, starting the passing and bridging the gap between defence and midfield.  

Disley and Clay would be wasted in a holding role, nor have I seen they have  the attributes to succeed it at.  They're box-to-box players in my eyes.

The role Parslow plays is something we will need to utilise at times for the remainder of the season but against any opposition I don't want to see it at home games, nor do I think Parslow has the technical abilities to play in a more traditional four man midfield.  For me he is there as defensive cover and when needed a holding midfielder.  

With regards Parslow at right-back, I would prefer Walker in all honesty (assuming Magnay switches across to left-back) as he brings more pace and attacking threat.  Magnay is naturally reluctant to go forward as much when he's on his wrong side, with Parslow on the right that leaves us with a real lack of attack from the full-backs.  

Yeah ok, I think you've put it much better than me. I agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
chaos33
December 20, 2014, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yeah that's fair enough. I just think he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole playing there. I'm not totally opposed to him playing that position in tight away games against better opposition, but I feel Hurst has been too reliant on playing him there against weaker opponents (both home & away), when a more expansive and attacking set-up would probably have netted us a few extra points.

Yeah, that what I was getting at, clumsily.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aswad Thomas out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.