3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
mimma
December 6, 2014, 5:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Looking at the full table on the BBC web site, it gives the last ten results of each team.

We have the joint best results over the last ten games, W6, D3, L1.

Macclesfield are the only team with the same record, whilst the team that's running away with the league have W6, D2, L2.

Looking at the posts on this site, you would think that we hadn.t won a game over this period, but in fact we are still gaining points, albeit slowly, over Barnet.

Time to get a grip fellas, it's not over yet by a long chalk, usually the team that wins this league goes on a run about this time.

Could that be us??

I think the winners will be the team that beats the other top teams, we have both Barnet & Macclesfield to play twice. Then we will have a better idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
December 6, 2014, 5:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
It's not impossible, but I think we throw away too many stupid points against shit opposition. I was hoping earlier in the season that we'd iron this out (and hopefully we will), but we've lost 4 more in the last 2 away games.

I still think we'll reach the playoffs fairly comfortably though, and after that it's 2 cup ties etc (not a lottery, that's nonsense)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2014, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
We won't do it by being negative. The squad is good enough, proved it at Gateshead, but is the manager?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
TownSNAFU5
December 6, 2014, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,852
Gold Stars: 42
We have the direct opportunity to beat Barnet and Macclesfield twice.  This opportunity is also "high risk" as all 4 games should be a real challenge.  These games are more "a tennis match" than a "football match".  If don't get the points then our main rivals will.  (Unless the games are all draws).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
promotion plaice
December 6, 2014, 7:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from mimma
Looking at the full table on the BBC web site, it gives the last ten results of each team.

Macclesfield are the only team with the same record, whilst the team that's running away with the league have W6, D2, L2.

Looking at the posts on this site, you would think that we hadn.t won a game over this period, but in fact we are still gaining points, albeit slowly, over Barnet.

Time to get a grip fellas, it's not over yet by a long chalk, usually the team that wins this league goes on a run about this time.

Could that be us?

I think the winners will be the team that beats the other top teams, we have both Barnet & Macclesfield to play twice. Then we will have a better idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/conference/table

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Maringer
December 6, 2014, 7:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We won't do it by being negative. The squad is good enough, proved it at Gateshead, but is the manager?

You could just as easily say that the squad isn't good enough as was proved in the home game against Southport!

One swallow doesn't make a summer so taking one result in isolation doesn't really tell you anything.

As thing stands, I'd say the table currently gives a pretty good indication of what's what. We're one of the better teams in the division but our inconsistency at times means we've dropped points which would have taken us away from some of the others and closer to Barnet.

Plenty of time to sort things out yet. Just a pity that we've got so long to wait for a League game so no chance of adding any points for a couple of weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
arryarryarry
December 6, 2014, 7:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mimma

Could that be us??

Whilst I admire your optimism you are basically confirming that we have gained just 1 point on Barnet in the last 10 games.

We are 11 points behind with a game in hand so if we were fortunate to win that we would be 8 points behind so on current form we would catch them up after 80 games.

"usually the team that wins this league goes on a run about this time."

The team that wins this league has the most points at the end of the season.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
SamTheMariner
December 6, 2014, 8:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Look win our game in hand and beat Barnet twice and we're 2 points behind them. Happy days if that's the case. Hope it is.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
mimma
December 6, 2014, 8:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
The point is that Barnet also drop points in games they should win, every team does, not just us.

When they do, their board goes into meltdown as well!

I still think that with the league being as tight as it is, it will be decided by the head to head between the top sides, & we are one of those sides.

It is still up to us to minimise the dropping of silly points, & beat the top teams.

Oh, & pray!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
northbankmariner
December 6, 2014, 8:48pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
I just hope grimsby don't turn out like arsenal. A very good team in their respective division but ultimately struggle in the games that really matter against other title challenging sides. We generally do quite well against the better teams but Barnet x 2, macc x2, Bristol rovers and Woking to play again to name just a few is quite scary really, I just cannot see us taking the required points needed to challenge for the title , just hope we secure enough for the playoffs, not pessimistic just realistic. UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Stevie Saunders
December 6, 2014, 10:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Have thought since about early October we are just a play off team and, in my mind, I will be happy with that given the league is so competitive with 10-12 teams all about of the same ability at the top
Not lethal or potent enough up top - we dominate matches for long periods (as our shots on target and possession % prove in many matches) but we don't get 2/3 goals
For that reason we are always susceptible to an Altrincham type situation

Also, we are already into the "if we beat them, and win our game in hand, and beat Barnet twice etc" - give me points in the bag any day

We haven't lost too much ground with clubs who had games in hand but IMO Barnet won't collapse and will just keep chipping in with points

Can Hurst pull a rabbit out of the bag in January (namely a goal machine!) to give us a title challenge boost?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Maringer
December 6, 2014, 10:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well, Lennie is third in the scoring charts, so we can't complain too much in that respect.

However, the rest of the strikers just aren't chipping in enough. Pittman had a good start but probably ought to have scored two or three since he came back from injury and Hannah just isn't doing enough at the moment, goals-wise.

We've had a few goals from midfield and defence which is good, but you can't just have one striker scoring goals (unless he's scoring a ridiculous number) so hopefully, Hamish will score a few or we'll sign a new striker or two in the transfer window to get us the points we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
ackomariner
December 7, 2014, 6:49am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Well, Lennie is third in the scoring charts, so we can't complain too much in that respect.

However, the rest of the strikers just aren't chipping in enough. Pittman had a good start but probably ought to have scored two or three since he came back from injury and Hannah just isn't doing enough at the moment, goals-wise.

We've had a few goals from midfield and defence which is good, but you can't just have one striker scoring goals (unless he's scoring a ridiculous number) so hopefully, Hamish will score a few or we'll sign a new striker or two in the transfer window to get us the points we need.

Hannah not doing enough goal wise.....you can't score goals from the bench can you?
Also I hope he does sign a striker but ph is happy with what we've got, so can't see it tbh

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
mike_d
December 7, 2014, 11:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
He also can't score goals from an offside position.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Tangerine Chris
December 7, 2014, 11:28am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Everyone is forgetting Eastleigh in this equation.  IF they win their games in hand, then they will be 2nd in the league and only 4 points behind Barnet, and they still have to play them.

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Maringer
December 7, 2014, 11:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Looking through the fixtures, after a quick calculation in my head, I reckon Hannah has played over 10 hours of football (in the Conference) this season. Around 7 games worth of football in total. I suppose his return of two goals from this (one a penalty), isn't too bad for a stop-start run of play, but he just doesn't look as though he is going to score at present and hasn't really done so for a long while.

Providing that Hamish (or Hannah/Pittman) don't start scoring some goals, I think there is no doubt Hurst will be looking out for a striker when the transfer window reopens. He was looking for attacking players (without success) at the start of the season and when the loan window was open, so no reason to think that anything will change there.

Let's hope we can find a good player or two to strengthen the squad and offer a few more options in attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
FishOutOfWater
December 7, 2014, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from northbankmariner
I just hope grimsby don't turn out like arsenal. A very good team in their respective division but ultimately struggle in the games that really matter against other title challenging sides. We generally do quite well against the better teams but Barnet x 2, macc x2, Bristol rovers and Woking to play again to name just a few is quite scary really, I just cannot see us taking the required points needed to challenge for the title , just hope we secure enough for the playoffs, not pessimistic just realistic. UTM

Finishing fourth at the end of the season is considered a success by the Arsenal regime but we all know that finishing fourth leaves us with a mountain to climb still and ultimately disappointment in the last two campaigns

Sad to say but I don't think we have it in us to win the league so looks like we'll have to hope it's third time lucky via the play off route
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 29
Abdul19
December 7, 2014, 1:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
We're nothing like Arsenal. We won at Stoke the last time we played there

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
DocTower
December 7, 2014, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
We have been too predictable for for too long making it easy for opposition managers to nullify our play . The ever present players who have a constant change of partners , no wonder we don't see exciting forward play .
It's getting to the point that draws aren't any good for us if we are to press Barnet . Play off at best .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 7, 2014, 3:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from DocTower
We have been too predictable for for too long making it easy for opposition managers to nullify our play . The ever present players who have a constant change of partners , no wonder we don't see exciting forward play .
It's getting to the point that draws aren't any good for us if we are to press Barnet . Play off at best .

I'd go along with that though there were good chances not taken early on in the last game. My impression is that the team seems to believe nil-nil or one goal is enough and don't press home an advantage. If anything they sink back to edge of the box defending and leave LJL on his own for long stretches.

I know the situation is different but watching Watford demolish Fulham this weekend, they got a goal up and kept going for the jugular and ended up at 5-0. No lucky goals either. We have really only done that twice this season and it's not good enough to get the side any higher than 5th place at best.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
rancido
December 7, 2014, 4:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Unfortunately I think PH is too cautious as a manager and this seems to have carried on over to the players. I don't think it is anything to do with him being an ex defender, just his natural character. I really hope he starts to be more adventurous with his approach because at the end of the season it could cost us promotion and on a more personal note , his job.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
mariner tommy
December 7, 2014, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from northbankmariner

On the contrary, it fills me full of confidence.
Look at it so far against the top teams in our division, we have played seven of them-
Bristol Rovers....... Drew
Gateshead.............Won
Halifax....................Drawn and won
Kiddy.......................Lost and won
Wrexham............... Won
Torquay...................Lost and won
Woking....................Won
So, the results against the top twelve teams that we have played so far-
Played 10, Won 6, drawn 2, lost 2.
All hypothetical I know, but if we continued this average till the end of the season it would give us a total of 80 points.
Which would be enough for a play of place in every season we have been down here except one, which was season 11-12.
Incidentally, If we have serious aspirations about winning the title we would have to achieve somewhere near the 100 point mark, this has been the case in the last five years except one season when Mansfield went up as champions with 95 points.
We are not going to do that realistically. We would need to take 59 points from our remaining 22 games and only dropping 7 points.
I would think that it's looking like the title will be won with a total a lot less than 100 points.
And hopefully that will be us.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
easypeersy
December 8, 2014, 9:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
I am hoping we can buck the trend and not have a post Christmas slump this season!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Garth
December 8, 2014, 10:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from easypeersy
I am hoping we can buck the trend and not have a post Christmas slump this season!!!

Should that occur again we will be looking for a new manager before the season ends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
SamTheMariner
December 8, 2014, 11:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
The most we can do is get behind the team.

Another thing. If Diz played every week, we'd get 10, 12, 15 goals from him a season.

Our judgement time begins next Friday. In 2 months we will play Barnet, Macc and FGR twice and Brizzel Rovers. After those games we will have a great idea of where we are. If we win all of them (which I seriously doubt we will) it will mean us and us alone will be breathing down Barnet's neck.

I just hope he signs good quality to improve us in Jan rather than confuse us with signings such as Devitt, Brodie, Jennings or Fyfield. Boyce and the Tonk improved us last season. He needs cover at centre half (which might be Parslow) and a massive target man to throw on if we need a goal.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
chaos33
December 9, 2014, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Garth

Should that occur again we will be looking for a new manager before the season ends

Don't you kid yourself.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Garth
December 9, 2014, 9:47am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from chaos33

Don't you kid yourself.

I'm not, we can't and won't go through that disappointment again without a major change surely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
ackomariner
December 9, 2014, 10:33am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Garth

I'm not, we can't and won't go through that disappointment again without a major change surely

You would hope not Garth, but stranger things have happened......this is GTFC we're talking about  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
GorgeousGeorge
December 9, 2014, 1:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Last time I looked at the table we were second...................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
denni266
December 9, 2014, 2:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Last time i looked we was 5th and 3 teams below us have games in hand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The league Table

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.