davmariner
November 29, 2014, 5:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Waiting for the train to Birmingham.

That was dire, the worst I've seen us play for a while. Hurst's substitutions killed any momentum we had after the goal. Brings off the player who made the goal with a fantastic assist and Mackreth, who was poor throughout but stepped it up after he scored.

Magnay was very very poor today, we missed Thomas' left foot and because of this we lacked balance. Arnold anonymous, we didn't use the width nearly enough.

Very disappointed. Unfortunately this team/management just not quite good enough to win the league I'm afraid.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
davmariner
November 29, 2014, 5:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Just to add our real position was never second due to the significant number of teams with games in hand.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
grimsby pete
November 29, 2014, 5:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Sounds like a normal display from our lads.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
grimsby pete
November 29, 2014, 5:22pm

Exile
Quoted from davmariner
Just to add our real position was never second due to the significant number of teams with games in hand.

Don't tell Hurst that,

He thinks we are there on merit.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
Vance Warner
November 29, 2014, 5:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,778
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from davmariner

Magnay was very very poor today, we missed Thomas' left foot and because of this we lacked balance. Arnold anonymous, we didn't use the width nearly enough.

Thomas coming back into the team coincided with our good run. We certainly lack balance without him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
AlanPoutonsTackle
November 29, 2014, 5:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Another poor result against relegation fodder. If we stop getting results against the better teams we really will look probably what we are performance wise, midtable. PH has signed some good players that could well get promotion but because he is tactically inept and not a leader we are going in the same direction as the last 3 seasons. And its starting to get boring.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
RoboCod
November 29, 2014, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
GET's headline 'Grimsby Town 'must do better against strugglers' stresses Chris Doig'

It's a known problem, but one that we have no answer to.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
grimsby pete
November 29, 2014, 7:04pm

Exile
Quoted from RoboCod
GET's headline 'Grimsby Town 'must do better against strugglers' stresses Chris Doig'

It's a known problem, but one that we have no answer to.

It's because we do not have that out and out striker,

John Lewis has done well but we need that striker playing off him,

If we are to go up we need that man whoever he is,

I would let Hannah, MaClaughlin and Bignot go out on loan to fund this man,

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
BIGChris
November 29, 2014, 8:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from WappingMariner
Just back... On the train to London Euston. Today was incredibly frustrating. We started the game so negatively. Yes 4-4-2 worked at home in midweek but today, in the first half, we looked tentative. Disley and Brown played far too deep while Arnold seemed to be the only player who tried to run into space. Lenny probably should have scored when he lobbed Hall but put the ball into the stand. Their goal was a bit of a fluke but should have been prevented. Parslow, who at right back, was wasteful, gave the ball away and Parry gambled. His shot, from about 35 yards, swerved, took a deflection off Magnay?, before defeating McKeown.

You expected a reaction after that but it didn't come and we went into half time 1-1 and wondering what on earth was going on.

Second half we started unchanged. Mackreth's goal came against the run of play but was a superb, instinctive finish. Typically he was taken off because Hurst had already made up his mind who was coming off before we drew level.

After that you expected Town to press on and get the winner. Indeed, Town did press on, but no winner came.

I will always cheer Town but today I was bitterly disappointed. We knew that when presented with an attacking side Telford fold. In fact, even a Telford fan, who I spoke to after the game, said that "Telford usually lose after conceding the first goal" (the one that is usually the first in the match).

For me, that summed it up brilliantly. We did not take the lead and that was again our downfall.

I thought it was Pittman who lobbed the chance over the bar but whoever it was it should really have been a goal. Earlier Pitmann put LJL through with a great ball but the keeper made a good save. Should have score
LJL played an awful short pass to Disley and their guys strolls forward to unleash a shot. I didn't see the deflection and thought McKeown should have done better with it at the time.
We really should have won the game in the first 20 mins but found ourselves behind. At half time I thought Brown had been anonymous, Mackreth has been very poor.
2nd half we scored a good goal after a great run and cross by the Pope. At that time Telford looked dead on their feet. Mackreth started to look like he had the beating of his man but he was promptly subbed!
Nielson came on and had one shot but overall was very poor. The other sub offered even Less.
If the manager hadn't made the subs he would have been hammered. He made the call and the players let him and themselves down.
Like to see the penalty claim again. It looked like Poku came through the back of Lenny to get the ball and I thought it was a clear foul.

Overall the feeling of disappointment. Telford looked like a bottom of the table side but we couldn't beat them. Disley good first half but not so 2nd, Brown better in the second half. Parslow looks like what he is, a steady eddy but a centre back playing full back. Toto and Shaun very impressive.

Finally a word for the totally over the top policing yet again!  There must have been 300 coppers on duty plus a pack of dogs. They were quite openly looking for confrontation, over Heard one of them saying 'don't hold back get stuck in to them' not necessary.
Flare on the pitch. Was it thrown by the Telford fans?.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Paul62
November 29, 2014, 8:56pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +9
Telford were well prepared for an aerial bombardment today, big at the back with a stacked battling midfield. I must of spent 3/4s of the 2nd half searching for the ball in the floodlights. If we'd played it on the deck we could have cut them to pieces but it rarely happened it was all hoofball with a complete lack of creativity and quality, no one stepped up today. A note on the smoke bomb, it came from the cluster of Telford fans by the dugouts with the culprit spotted by someone sitting near me, Working with the stewards he was able to identify the the individual who was caught I'm not sure if he was a town fan or not. Must mention the fabulous away support nearly 500 behind the goal and plenty more seated. Overall really disappointed we looked very mediocre with no plan B, it won't take to many more performances like this before the Hurst out brigade are in full voice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.