4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
December 15, 2014, 11:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Just watched the final episode of Skint and no matter what its motives might be for having chosen GY, I got a lump in my throat as it came to a close with a poignant statement

To the people here it will always be Great Grimsby because wherever you are there's no place like home....

Amen to that!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 34
grimsby pete
December 16, 2014, 11:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
It was not as bad as I thought it would be,

Yes there was a few wasters but it did show how the fisherman were treated by the government,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
FishOutOfWater
December 16, 2014, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
It was not as bad as I thought it would be,

Yes there was a few wasters but it did show how the fisherman were mis-treated by the government,

Thought it deserved just a slight change to your comment Pete

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 34
grimsby pete
December 16, 2014, 4:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Thought it deserved just a slight change to your comment Pete

Agreed Tim, excrement on and forgotten .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
ginnywings
December 18, 2014, 1:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I knew Stan. He was as hard as nails but a nice chap. Sad to see his demise on national television but i thought it was handled quite well.

Series was not as bad as i imagined it would be and was nice to see the youth leader John Ellis soldiering on. Her has been running that place for over 40 years with very little support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
cmackenzie4
December 18, 2014, 1:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Yes Stan seemed a nice bloke, I noticed in the paper yesterday that he had boxed and only lost once in 39 bouts, if that is true that is an excellent record, I use to box all over the country and know what it is like to be in that ring and to get that record he must of been very good.

He really seemed a nice man and salt of the earth character and someone who you would respect.

I thought the show was put across really well and enjoyed watching it.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
barralad
December 18, 2014, 3:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings
I knew Stan. He was as hard as nails but a nice chap. Sad to see his demise on national television but i thought it was handled quite well.

Series was not as bad as i imagined it would be and was nice to see the youth leader John Ellis soldiering on. Her has been running that place for over 40 years with very little support.

This on both accounts. Shalom responsible for sorting out a lot of the kids around that area.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
FishOutOfWater
December 18, 2014, 5:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Yes Stan seemed a nice bloke, I noticed in the paper yesterday that he had boxed and only lost once in 39 bouts, if that is true that is an excellent record, I use to box all over the country and know what it is like to be in that ring and to get that record he must of been very good.

He really seemed a nice man and salt of the earth character and someone who you would respect.

I thought the show was put across really well and enjoyed watching it.

I agree Chris....I thought there was a lot more positivity from having had the cameras in the town than I was led to believe there would be when the news first broke that Skint would feature the East Marsh

I might be a soft touch but I couldn't help but feel some sympathy with even the most problematic of characters...there but for the grace of god etc and as mentioned it gave an insight in to the good work that goes largely unrecognised, such as the Shalom

And the final scenes really did bring it home...Grimsby might come across as grim to the rest of the country but it really does have something about it that means a lot to us

It's easy to knock something but reading some of the comments on social media, whilst some people poked fun and took some cheap shots at some of the characters, there was also a number out there who recognise that as we lost ships at sea, hardship followed on closely afterwards, but there's still plenty of spirit left in us Grimbarians
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 34
GYinScuntland
December 19, 2014, 6:13am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I thought the series was worlds apart from the last one in Scunthorpe. Portrayed the people and area in a much more positive way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
cmackenzie4
December 19, 2014, 8:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
There is some good people in Grimsby and I am proud to come from Grimsby. My wife and I felt sorry for the Girl who had turned to prostitution and the others who had turned to drugs, they all had underlying emotional problems and just can't cope with life it seems. I am a parent myself and do my damned hardest for my children and give them a lot of loving and care but it seems these people on skint was neglected of this.there should be more help for these people.

I really enjoyed the ex fisherman ( can't remember his name) he was a right character.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Skint

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.