Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 24, 2014, 9:02pm
It's on now,

Who do we know ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 24, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 1
Nobody is owning up to knowing anybody,

Don't blame you . :)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 25, 2014, 10:43am; Reply: 2
I haven't seen it yet Pete because I was at work, will watch it later tonight when I get home from work on catchup and will let you know. I did see a clip on tv the other day about it and did recognise one blokes face.
Posted by: barralad, November 25, 2014, 12:59pm; Reply: 3
Poverty tourism at its very worst. Justified under the banner of "This is what happens to a town when its industries die out" which may have been true 30 years ago but now? Forget the venue this "programme" was all about taking advantage of half a dozen or so social misfits who didn't deserve the treatment they got but were not blessed with the intelligence to see that they were being compromised.  But it's O.K. there can be howls of derision and hand wringing from politicians and the press about the state of Britain in the second decade of the 21st. century. It isn't typical of Grimsby or anywhere else in the country either....Shameful...
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 27, 2014, 8:23am; Reply: 4
Quoted from barralad
Poverty tourism at its very worst. Justified under the banner of "This is what happens to a town when its industries die out" which may have been true 30 years ago but now? Forget the venue this "programme" was all about taking advantage of half a dozen or so social misfits who didn't deserve the treatment they got but were not blessed with the intelligence to see that they were being compromised.  But it's O.K. there can be howls of derision and hand wringing from politicians and the press about the state of Britain in the second decade of the 21st. century. It isn't typical of Grimsby or anywhere else in the country either....Shameful...

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is typical of Grimsby, I tuned in thinking I would hate it and I actually think they did a good job in highlighting certain issues and not demonising those on benefits as they had in the previous series. I thought the young lad sat on a wall explaining to his mate why some women fall into prostitution was a brilliant bit of documentary and showed a great deal of empathy and understanding from such a young lad.
Posted by: barralad, November 27, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is typical of Grimsby, I tuned in thinking I would hate it and I actually think they did a good job in highlighting certain issues and not demonising those on benefits as they had in the previous series. I thought the young lad sat on a wall explaining to his mate why some women fall into prostitution was a brilliant bit of documentary and showed a great deal of empathy and understanding from such a young lad.

Fair enough Headers...you have more faith in popular T.V. than I have. I've sent you a p.m.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 27, 2014, 4:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from barralad

Fair enough Headers...you have more faith in popular T.V. than I have. I've sent you a p.m.

For some reason it has disappeared before I could read it, could you send it again please?
Posted by: barralad, November 27, 2014, 4:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from headingly_mariner

For some reason it has disappeared before I could read it, could you send it again please?

Twas my fault-somehow it didn't get sent...technology eh?

Now sent....
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 28, 2014, 9:11pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from barralad

Twas my fault-somehow it didn't get sent...technology eh?

Now sent....

I do hate secrets  :P
Posted by: barralad, November 28, 2014, 9:28pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete

I do hate secrets  :P

If I tell you I should be forced to garotte you with cheese wire  8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 28, 2014, 9:56pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from barralad

If I tell you I should be forced to garotte you with cheese wire  8)

Oh !   I don't want to know then. ;D
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 29, 2014, 1:03am; Reply: 11
Firstly I would admit that I was a little harsh some time ago when I said that the decent people of Grimsby were outnumbered by the unsavoury type. I am more than willing to hold my hands up and eat humble pie.  I am proud to be a Grimbarian and I am proud that my family had it's roots in the fishing industry.

Skint is another fly on the wall reality tv show edited for entertainment purposes.  If the makers of skint were genuine, then they should be highlighting how certain Towns residents became skint and not just the results of their life choices.  By doing so they will highlight that Westminster doesn't care about the North.

Grimsby had it's heart ripped out, it has taken Grimsby decades to get over it.  The sad fact of working life today is that no job is secure, and jobs are getting harder and harder to get.  0 hour contracts, unpaid over time and agency work should be made illegal.

The real story of Grimsby's decline, the why's and wherefores would make fantastic TV, that's if channel 4 tv producers, researchers and journalists weren't so lazy.  There is a great story to be told, one of how a town was left to rot but never gave up.  The fortitude, resilience and dogged determination of Grimbarians will never be understood by those who have never lived here.  

The fisherman they have chosen may see himself as a loveable drunk rogue but he certainly isn't typical of the majority of fisherman, a great many had families.  If channel 4 were genuine they would have got a fisherman with a family and explained how the cut in quotas effected the wages year after year, trip after trip.

As for the prostitutes, they are in every town and city, this isn't just a GY thing.  Likewise for disenchanted youth and people who can't find work, every town and city has them.  Channel 4's lazy journalism won't research the town and they won't expose the ridiculously inept and dis-functional council.
Posted by: Rick12, November 29, 2014, 1:32am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Marinerz93
Firstly I would admit that I was a little harsh some time ago when I said that the decent people of Grimsby were outnumbered by the unsavoury type. I am more than willing to hold my hands up and eat humble pie.  I am proud to be a Grimbarian and I am proud that my family had it's roots in the fishing industry.

Great post.As for me I can only go on my early recollections of Freeman Street and East Marsh when I was a kid visiting the area.Yes you could tell it wasnt rich but it wasnt a bad place.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 29, 2014, 11:24am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Rick12
Great post.As for me I can only go on my early recollections of Freeman Street and East Marsh when I was a kid visiting the area.Yes you could tell it wasnt rich but it wasnt a bad place.

I was a Bus Driver from 1970 to 1973,

I can tell you Freeman St was always packed,

Tues, Fri and Saturday markets were always busy as if it was a Black Friday,

Driving down Freeman St was murder, it took ages to get from Riby Square to Hainton Avenue.

The fisherman might have been a drunken lot ( well most of them ) but they kept many a Taxi driver in work,

They were very generous with their money and always wore a smart bell bottom suit.
Posted by: Rick12, November 29, 2014, 11:30am; Reply: 14
Quoted from grimsby pete

I was a Bus Driver from 1970 to 1973,

I can tell you Freeman St was always packed,

Tues, Fri and Saturday markets were always busy as if it was a Black Friday,

Driving down Freeman St was murder, it took ages to get from Riby Square to Hainton Avenue.

The fisherman might have been a drunken lot ( well most of them ) but they kept many a Taxi driver in work,

They were very generous with their money and always wore a smart bell bottom suit.
Good memories.Even I when I go back now I still have a feeling of nostalgia

Posted by: barralad, November 30, 2014, 8:53pm; Reply: 15
I would recommend watching these to anyone. How on earth the T.V. company responsible for these could get involved in Skint is totally beyond me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTz20yuf7lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5P56FK0H8
Posted by: moosey_club, November 30, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 16
Tomorrows episode could be quite cringeworthy, a new female character is introduced who is a boxer.....she started on the ref and was disqualified while being filmed, i believe she was awaiting sentencing at the time and got sent down not long after.... :B
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 30, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad
I would recommend watching these to anyone. How on earth the T.V. company responsible for these could get involved in Skint is totally beyond me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTz20yuf7lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5P56FK0H8

Great links Barra, the fella who is talking at the start says something very poignant, "We've just been thrown to the wind', finish the fleet and that's the end of it"

In 1974, we had 2000 deep sea fisherman, today there are non.  What isn't mentioned is the filleters, labours and engineers working behind those fisherman.  The government destroyed the biggest fishing port in the world and left it to rot, thrown to wind.
Posted by: LH, November 30, 2014, 11:14pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Marinerz93

Great links Barra, the fella who is talking at the start says something very poignant, "We've just been thrown to the wind', finish the fleet and that's the end of it"

In 1974, we had 2000 deep sea fisherman, today there are non.  What isn't mentioned is the filleters, labours and engineers working behind those fisherman.  The government destroyed the biggest fishing port in the world and left it to rot, thrown to wind.

No fishermen in my family but my grandad was a shipwright. He was made redundant at 64-years-old and made to sign on for a year. Having worked since leaving school at 12-years-old to make naval ships before, during and after WWII on Merseyside before moving to Grimsby to build trawlers this completely destroyed him. I do think generally the support staff are forgotten in these sort of stories but they need to be mentioned to show how entire communities are affected.
Posted by: barralad, December 2, 2014, 8:42am; Reply: 19
Quoted from LH

No fishermen in my family but my grandad was a shipwright. He was made redundant at 64-years-old and made to sign on for a year. Having worked since leaving school at 12-years-old to make naval ships before, during and after WWII on Merseyside before moving to Grimsby to build trawlers this completely destroyed him. I do think generally the support staff are forgotten in these sort of stories but they need to be mentioned to show how entire communities are affected.

When I was 16 a lot of my mates who went to schools like Havelok and North Clee went into the fishing service industries on apprenticeships at H.L. Taylor's, Consolidated and B.U.T. and the like. Almost overnight those jobs went. The start of the decline in the employment prospects of Grimsby's young men. When you add the "deckie learners" to them it made for a pretty bleak picture....
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 15, 2014, 11:26pm; Reply: 20
Just watched the final episode of Skint and no matter what its motives might be for having chosen GY, I got a lump in my throat as it came to a close with a poignant statement

To the people here it will always be Great Grimsby because wherever you are there's no place like home....

Amen to that!
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 16, 2014, 11:35am; Reply: 21
It was not as bad as I thought it would be,

Yes there was a few wasters but it did show how the fisherman were treated by the government,
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 16, 2014, 1:15pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete
It was not as bad as I thought it would be,

Yes there was a few wasters but it did show how the fisherman were mis-treated by the government,

Thought it deserved just a slight change to your comment Pete

Posted by: grimsby pete, December 16, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Thought it deserved just a slight change to your comment Pete

Agreed Tim, excrement on and forgotten .
Posted by: ginnywings, December 18, 2014, 1:07pm; Reply: 24
I knew Stan. He was as hard as nails but a nice chap. Sad to see his demise on national television but i thought it was handled quite well.

Series was not as bad as i imagined it would be and was nice to see the youth leader John Ellis soldiering on. Her has been running that place for over 40 years with very little support.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, December 18, 2014, 1:24pm; Reply: 25
Yes Stan seemed a nice bloke, I noticed in the paper yesterday that he had boxed and only lost once in 39 bouts, if that is true that is an excellent record, I use to box all over the country and know what it is like to be in that ring and to get that record he must of been very good.

He really seemed a nice man and salt of the earth character and someone who you would respect.

I thought the show was put across really well and enjoyed watching it.
Posted by: barralad, December 18, 2014, 3:26pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
I knew Stan. He was as hard as nails but a nice chap. Sad to see his demise on national television but i thought it was handled quite well.

Series was not as bad as i imagined it would be and was nice to see the youth leader John Ellis soldiering on. Her has been running that place for over 40 years with very little support.

This on both accounts. Shalom responsible for sorting out a lot of the kids around that area.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 18, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Yes Stan seemed a nice bloke, I noticed in the paper yesterday that he had boxed and only lost once in 39 bouts, if that is true that is an excellent record, I use to box all over the country and know what it is like to be in that ring and to get that record he must of been very good.

He really seemed a nice man and salt of the earth character and someone who you would respect.

I thought the show was put across really well and enjoyed watching it.

I agree Chris....I thought there was a lot more positivity from having had the cameras in the town than I was led to believe there would be when the news first broke that Skint would feature the East Marsh

I might be a soft touch but I couldn't help but feel some sympathy with even the most problematic of characters...there but for the grace of god etc and as mentioned it gave an insight in to the good work that goes largely unrecognised, such as the Shalom

And the final scenes really did bring it home...Grimsby might come across as grim to the rest of the country but it really does have something about it that means a lot to us

It's easy to knock something but reading some of the comments on social media, whilst some people poked fun and took some cheap shots at some of the characters, there was also a number out there who recognise that as we lost ships at sea, hardship followed on closely afterwards, but there's still plenty of spirit left in us Grimbarians
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 19, 2014, 6:13am; Reply: 28
I thought the series was worlds apart from the last one in Scunthorpe. Portrayed the people and area in a much more positive way.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, December 19, 2014, 8:58am; Reply: 29
There is some good people in Grimsby and I am proud to come from Grimsby. My wife and I felt sorry for the Girl who had turned to prostitution and the others who had turned to drugs, they all had underlying emotional problems and just can't cope with life it seems. I am a parent myself and do my damned hardest for my children and give them a lot of loving and care but it seems these people on skint was neglected of this.there should be more help for these people.

I really enjoyed the ex fisherman ( can't remember his name) he was a right character.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 23, 2014, 12:24am; Reply: 30
Saw a couple of episodes and I was surprised how it didn't seem like "poverty voyeurism" or whatever the phrase is. You got a good chance to hear from the people themselves what their life was like and why.  I don't think it showed Grimsby in a bad light at all. If anything it showed people with problems to be worthy of sympathy/empathy and were not just a bunch of scrotes. The fisherman and his missus were a lovely couple. Rough as intercourse but basically decent warm-hearted people - typical Grimsby folk.

If I was a NEL councillor I wouldn't think it was an embarrassment for the town.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 27, 2014, 6:26pm; Reply: 31
I am not from Grimsby, but my Dad was born and raised there.  I thought that the programme was sympathetic to the different characters. You grew to relate them, despite their flaws, or because of them.

The story about the family doing a sponsored walk to Louth for charity was a good example of helping others despite their own bad situation.  The programme never really "finished" this particular story.

How well would would we manage in their environment?    And how well would they do if growing up elsewhere?  And without drugs.  
Posted by: cleefish, December 27, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 32
;D ;D ;D ;Dyes liked it would like a copy can any one  help utm
Posted by: GrimRob, January 6, 2015, 4:04pm; Reply: 33
The latest film to emerge from Grimsby. It's becoming the Hollywood of Low Life.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/women-weighing-20-stone-featured-new-Sacha-Baron/story-25806201-detail/story.html
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 34
Personally I can't wait to see it. GY doesn't have much of a profile anyway any more - nothing particularly positive to damage really - and at least this will give the council and other bodies in the area the opportunity to get a positive message out in response. Take it on the chin, have a laugh, and show the best side.

Remember "sing when [you're] fishing" was meant as an insult and we turned it round.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 8:35pm