4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
fishyrich
November 23, 2014, 1:44pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: -38
Quoted from gtfc98

Mackreth???

I know he's Colbeck in disguise but we're not exactly spoilt for choice on the right. We've got a squad full of centre mids

JP on the right and Hannah or Hamish (or Southwell!!) up top with shop.

We need to be playing 4-4-2 is what I'm getting at

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
fishyrich
November 23, 2014, 1:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: -38
Or Hey Arnold on the right but he does leave Magnay a bit exposed

Thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Mariners_15
November 23, 2014, 1:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not good enough, and Hurst must agree as he has never really been first choice.

To be fair to Paddy he has hardly had a chance in his favoured central midfield position. I'd agree with others that he isn't ideal in a midfield 2 and has shown that but when he's in a midfield 3 (as he was at York) and earlier in the season when we knocked 7 past Alfreton etc in that spell he showed he's a real good player. I don't see how he isn't even in the squad now especially as we are back to playing 3 in midfield. Yet again we have bought 2 loanees in that haven't really improved the squad.

Will feel really sorry for Paddy if Pell's loan is extended. Paddy is a better player IMO and should be given a chance on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
chaos33
November 23, 2014, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Not gonna happen mate. Paddy is the only one of the central midfielders who hasn't had a fair chance in a season and a half in centre midfield. He's had the odd game there, or has been used at left mid or left back. Sure he's had the odd quiet game, but generally hasn't let anyone down in whatever position he's been asked to play. Often he's looked very dangerous and has scored some great, important goals. 10 minutes here and there from the bench every few weeks is no good. He's a very good player with great attacking qualities. I can only think that this is why Hurst doesn't fancy him - he doesn't have the defensive credentials that perhaps the others do. He does, however, have the ability to run at players and has great energy and vision, with plenty of goals in him. I don't think any of the other centre midfielders, loaned or under contract, have those strengths to the degree that he has.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
Mariners_15
November 23, 2014, 4:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from chaos33
Not gonna happen mate. Paddy is the only one of the central midfielders who hasn't had a fair chance in a season and a half in centre midfield. He's had the odd game there, or has been used at left mid or left back. Sure he's had the odd quiet game, but generally hasn't let anyone down in whatever position he's been asked to play. Often he's looked very dangerous and has scored some great, important goals. 10 minutes here and there from the bench every few weeks is no good. He's a very good player with great attacking qualities. I can only think that this is why Hurst doesn't fancy him - he doesn't have the defensive credentials that perhaps the others do. He does, however, have the ability to run at players and has great energy and vision, with plenty of goals in him. I don't think any of the other centre midfielders, loaned or under contract, have those strengths to the degree that he has.

Agree with this. Such a shame as it just seems such a waste of a good player. As you say he hasn't been given a fair chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
marinerjase
November 23, 2014, 4:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Fair comments Phil. Think Paddy has had a raw deal, and done a very decent job for the side playing out of position. I'd be a tad unhappy if I were him.

There are a few players who have been performing below par but never get questioned. I think Mckeown has been below par, defensively Toto has been disappointing, Pearson inconsistent, midfield people quick to jump on Disley but he's had just a good as season as others in there. Clay came into the side almost by accident, people slaughtered him but he performed better than he was supposed to. Brown had a good opening month but since then very average. Macheth has proved disappointing, Nielson has ability but again inconsistent, that's why he's at Conference level. Lennell gets hammered but it's his best season yet, Pitman not really had a run of games, Hannah we have turned into a player not 30% of what he was when he signed, partly through how we play and partly through confidence. Arnold looks a class above at times but again inconsistent.

On the whole this is the worst standard of Conference since we've been in. We should be capable of winning it but it'll be play off disappointment again in my honest opinion. There'll be loan signings in January, and I think has to be a more positive approach at home, ie 2 strikers, and people need to perform better consistently.

Not sure people realise financial implications of another season at this level, this has to be done this season - getting out this league. But the manager should stop moaning about fans, and start appreciating the ones who have stuck by them. The team need support, but the support need the team. It's not a given..or shouldn't be..start taking the bull by the horns and play in a way that people want to pay and watch. Results all important of course but not the solitary thing to get bums on seats.

There's a negative vibe around the club, has been for years, emanating from the top in my humble opinoon, but it is what it is..can talk about new ground, and negative support, and luck, whatever..be all and end all is get back into the league before its too late.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
ackomariner
November 23, 2014, 4:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33

Just another player with shattered confidence......plus add Hannah to the list too

Only hurst doing his usual

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
chaos33
November 23, 2014, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
Fair comments Phil. Think Paddy has had a raw deal, and done a very decent job for the side playing out of position. I'd be a tad unhappy if I were him.

There are a few players who have been performing below par but never get questioned. I think Mckeown has been below par, defensively Toto has been disappointing, Pearson inconsistent, midfield people quick to jump on Disley but he's had just a good as season as others in there. Clay came into the side almost by accident, people slaughtered him but he performed better than he was supposed to. Brown had a good opening month but since then very average. Macheth has proved disappointing, Nielson has ability but again inconsistent, that's why he's at Conference level. Lennell gets hammered but it's his best season yet, Pitman not really had a run of games, Hannah we have turned into a player not 30% of what he was when he signed, partly through how we play and partly through confidence. Arnold looks a class above at times but again inconsistent.

On the whole this is the worst standard of Conference since we've been in. We should be capable of winning it but it'll be play off disappointment again in my honest opinion. There'll be loan signings in January, and I think has to be a more positive approach at home, ie 2 strikers, and people need to perform better consistently.

Not sure people realise financial implications of another season at this level, this has to be done this season - getting out this league. But the manager should stop moaning about fans, and start appreciating the ones who have stuck by them. The team need support, but the support need the team. It's not a given..or shouldn't be..start taking the bull by the horns and play in a way that people want to pay and watch. Results all important of course but not the solitary thing to get bums on seats.

There's a negative vibe around the club, has been for years, emanating from the top in my humble opinoon, but it is what it is..can talk about new ground, and negative support, and luck, whatever..be all and end all is get back into the league before its too late.

Good post Jase.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
BIGChris
November 23, 2014, 8:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
It may well be the worst Standard of football since we have been at this level but looking at results across the league suggests it is the most competitive it has been.

At present only ONE team has won the last two consecutive games. That is astounding and shows that consistency just doesn't happen in this league. So far only Barnet had found it, whoever has it in the 2nd half of the season will go up.

Away from home we have been decent enough, I enjoy away games more than home ones at present. At BP we need to go for it more, take the game to the opposition. We can still play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 but only if the central midfield gets beyond strikers and the holding midfielder means the full backs have licence to bomb forward.
I'd love us to challenge the opposition. Say to them ' we reckon we are better than you and are going to prove it". Ask em 'what you got'

I can't comment on PH comments as I haven't heard them. Some are "outraged" some say he doesn't say much at all. For me I never attach much to any managers post match comments, it's what he says in the dressing room that makes a difference but in reality it is what happens in the 90+ mins that has bearing on feelings and comments. Win and everybody's happy and job done
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
chaos33
November 23, 2014, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Good post BC.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disley and clay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.