Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Altrincham.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Team For Altrincham.

This thread currently has 4,210 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
November 13, 2014, 7:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from 120797

Just thankful it's not my decision to make...

I think that's something we're all thankful for

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Abdul19
November 13, 2014, 7:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Assuming Magnay's not fit:

McKeown

Parslow
Nsiala
Pearson
Thomas

Disley
Clay
Pell

Arnold
John-Lewis
Neilson

Subs: 5 others (including Doig or Bignot I suppose if Magnay's out)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
November 13, 2014, 7:35pm
Guest User
No width - interesting !  
Reply: 12 - 40
SamTheMariner
November 13, 2014, 8:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
McKeown

Parslow
Toto
Pearson
Aza

Disley
Pell
Clay

Arnold
The Shop
Neilson

Subs: Bignot, Brown, Pittman, McLaughlin, MacKreth

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
November 13, 2014, 8:24pm
Guest User
Another very tricky selection dilemma...

According to Hurst Altrincham are a "good footballing side" who "dominated the 2nd half" in their recent defeat to Telford.
Don't think we should underestimate them - I agree they're quite likely to try and raise their game.
Not just cos they're playing GTFC but because teams often look for a response after defeat.
Being at home, would expect they'll try to put in a decent much improved performance.

Can't assess how bad Magnay is and whether he should be included.
If Hurst says he needs a rest, maybe we might be better off biting the bullet and resting him for this one ?
But if Hurst decides it's best to play him, I'd support him and his decision regardless of the outcome.

Others will know better than me whether Parslow did well as sub on Tuesday (Maringer says "adequate" ? )
In any case, judging by Oxford, I'm not 100% convinced with him at RB.
I know he can "do a job" there (and also did well v Oxford reading the game and keeping his passes simple)
But as a CB by trade he doesn't look too nimble against quick passing sides and for me, looks better suited to defensive midfield.
Whether Bignot is any better at RB is debatable but he seems tactically astute and offers you something going forward.
So if Hurst was to play Bignot, I'd support that decision.

With Magnay not 100% anyway, what I would do is go "in for a penny in for a pound" regards "resting" players after a hard game.
For me, it all boils down whether to risk it with either Magnay, Parslow, Bignot at RB or risk "going for it" with 3 at the back.

Am I right in saying Thomas is playing through an injury anyway ? (thought I heard that but may well be wrong)
Brown had 60 mins yesterday and needs to come back at some point anyway.
Clay is rested ready to return.
Who knows if Disley will be jaded or not after Tuesday.

Altrincham might raise their game but maybe we can hit their frail confidence and snatch an early goal or 2 ?
Whether to keep it tight or go attacking from the off looks a very tough decision !  
In any case we all know it's the type of "winnable" game we'd all love 3 pts from to keep the pressure on Barnet.
Should we not bag a point it's not the end of the world (but there's 3 up for grabs)

I'll go...

.......................McKeown
........Nsiala.....Pearson(c)..Parslow
Mackreth......Clay......Brown.......Arnold
........Pittman..John-Lewis..Hannah

Subs: Thomas, Bignot, Disley, Pell, Neilson.
Reply: 14 - 40
chaos33
November 13, 2014, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I think Magnay might be rested, and I also think that a lot depends on how fit Brown is. I feel that Hurst will want to bring Brown back into the side as soon as he feels he's fit enough, and with the potential switch of Parslow to RB for Magnay, that would make that quandry just a little bit easier to solve. We'll see. I can't see any reason why he would deviate too much from Pete's suggested line up and formation (which, at times on Tuesday seemed like a 4-1-2-2-1 to me). Maybe he'll ask Disley to hold in DP's place.

I actually prefer Parslow as a right back to a holding midfielder - I trhought he did lots of good work against Halifax but he was caught flat-footed several times in the first half. I'm still trying to work out just how good Pell is and what his strengths are exactly, but he seems effective to me. As many others have said - it's very tough for the manager when practically everyone is fit. Personally I'd like to see Paddy come back in to the squad but feel he might go for defensive cover if he's losing Magnay, and the game is away from home.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
November 13, 2014, 8:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I can't see any reason why he would deviate too much from Pete's suggested line up and formation (which, at times on Tuesday seemed like a 4-1-2-2-1 to me)

Depends on "width" IMO.
If you're playing a side like Halifax who tend to lump it into the box you arguably don't need to worry as much about wide areas.
How Altrincham set up and where their strengths (on the pitch) lie though, I've absolutely no idea !
Quoted from chaos33
I actually prefer Parslow as a right back to a holding midfielder - I trhought he did lots of good work against Halifax but he was caught flat-footed several times in the first half.

Appreciate your input.
Your latter point is my concern.
Quoted from chaos33
I'm still trying to work out just how good Pell is and what his strengths are exactly

Good on the ball ?
Pace ?
Gets around the pitch ?
Shooting ?
Quoted from chaos33
Personally I'd like to see Paddy come back in to the squad

In principle I agree.
Was thinking of putting him in the 16 myself but just goes to show how tough competition for places is right now.
Quoted from chaos33
but feel he might go for defensive cover if he's losing Magnay, and the game is away from home.

He might do, I agree.
Reply: 16 - 40
chaos33
November 13, 2014, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You 'appreciate my input'. Chuckle. Well that's good to know. Thanks. I'm not feeling patronised!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
chaos33
November 13, 2014, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797

Depends on "width" IMO.
If you're playing a side like Halifax who tend to lump it into the box you arguably don't need to worry as much about wide areas.
How Altrincham set up and where their strengths (on the pitch) lie though, I've absolutely no idea !

Appreciate your input.
Your latter point is my concern.

Good on the ball ?
Pace ?
Gets around the pitch ?
Shooting ?

In principle I agree.
Was thinking of putting him in the 16 myself but just goes to show how tough competition for places is right now.

He might do, I agree.

Good points about width. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see 4-4-2 on Saturday.  Good summary of the attributes of Pell. I agree. I liked him. In addition, he has presence, he takes up good positions and he makes himself available very effectively. He might have scored in the first half after a surging run and good piece of team play. Keeper made a decent save (Disley really wanted it 'squaring' to him as he was in a good position).I did think he looked completely knackered in second half spells mindst, and his influence on the game dissipated during those spells. I had a good view of him from the main stand. He was flushed!  

I had an equally good view of DP and watched him keenly in that position. There were a couple of occasions in fairly quick succession where he seemed second best in reaction time to his opponent in the drop or bounce of the ball. He just didn't quite seem fully sharp at times to me. I thought he did quite well on balance without being as good as Disley or Pell in his overall performance level. That's just my opinion. He's always described by York fans as 'steady' and dependable' and that's what he's shown us I believe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
November 13, 2014, 9:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
Thanks.

Chuckle. Well that's good to know. I'm not feeling patronised!

So very sorry.
Maybe I should have told you to intercourse off instead.  
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Altrincham.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.