Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 13, 2014, 11:11am
I would rest Magnay and go with this,

Macca

Parslow      Toto         Pearson         Thomas

Brown

Disley                            Pell

Arnold

Neilson

John Lewis

Posted by: Fcukthescunts, November 13, 2014, 2:28pm; Reply: 1
Can't disagree with this
Posted by: cleefish, November 13, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would rest Magnay and go with this,

Macca

Parslow      Toto         Pearson         Thomas

Brown

Disley                            Pell

Arnold

Neilson

John Lewis

;D ;D ;D ;Dyes agree with your choice  good about town right  n
ow
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 13, 2014, 4:08pm; Reply: 3
I too like the look of that.

Should have a strong bench as well: everyone is supposed to be fit.
Posted by: maxfox44, November 13, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 4
I think I would probably leave brown on the bench, put Walt Disley in front of the defence and include Clay in midfield.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 13, 2014, 4:34pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from maxfox44
I think I would probably leave brown on the bench, put Walt Disley in front of the defence and include Clay in midfield.

That would be good as well,

It all depends on how fit Brown is.
Posted by: acko338, November 13, 2014, 5:55pm; Reply: 6
Both Brown and Magnay need to be back to full fitness - is it worth risking either from the start if they think they are good to go, or use from the bench if any doubts remain

Disley can slot into a holding role if needed, Neilsen as a central playmaker behind Lenny, and see if both JP and Nathan Arnold can go for another 90 minutes out wide - with good bench support ready to back those chosen.

Who'd be a manager with most of them fit and wanting to impress ??
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 13, 2014, 6:19pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from acko338
Both Brown and Magnay need to be back to full fitness - is it worth risking either from the start if they think they are good to go, or use from the bench if any doubts remain

Disley can slot into a holding role if needed, Neilsen as a central playmaker behind Lenny, and see if both JP and Nathan Arnold can go for another 90 minutes out wide - with good bench support ready to back those chosen.

I think he's more likely to play just 2 of LJL, Pittman, Neilson and Arnold than all 4 of them from the start. Keeps options on the bench, and we don't often go from it from the first whistle.

So i'll guess; Mckeown, parslow, thomas, pearson, nsiala, disley, brown, pell, neilson, arnold, johnlewis.  subs; magnay clay pittman hannah mackreth  (paddy and bignot miss out again)

p.s; formation to be confirmed!

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 6:52pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from acko338

Just been watching Hurst talk about Magnay on MP...

Says "we're not too concerned in the long term, he just needs a bit of a rest".

Said he asked him to do a job on Tuesday knowing he wasn't quite right.
Then said there was a "free week next week so plenty of opportunity to rest him".

So should he be rested ?..

I'm not sure what to think tbh.
Just thankful it's not my decision to make...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 6:59pm; Reply: 9
Info here too...
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/altrincham-team-news-a-2082441.aspx
Posted by: Abdul19, November 13, 2014, 7:10pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 120797

Just thankful it's not my decision to make...

I think that's something we're all thankful for ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, November 13, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 11
Assuming Magnay's not fit:

McKeown

Parslow
Nsiala
Pearson
Thomas

Disley
Clay
Pell

Arnold
John-Lewis
Neilson

Subs: 5 others (including Doig or Bignot I suppose if Magnay's out)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 12
No width - interesting !  ;)
Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 13, 2014, 8:14pm; Reply: 13
McKeown

Parslow
Toto
Pearson
Aza

Disley
Pell
Clay

Arnold
The Shop
Neilson

Subs: Bignot, Brown, Pittman, McLaughlin, MacKreth
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 14
Another very tricky selection dilemma...(unsure)

According to Hurst Altrincham are a "good footballing side" who "dominated the 2nd half" in their recent defeat to Telford.
Don't think we should underestimate them - I agree they're quite likely to try and raise their game.
Not just cos they're playing GTFC but because teams often look for a response after defeat.
Being at home, would expect they'll try to put in a decent much improved performance.

Can't assess how bad Magnay is and whether he should be included.
If Hurst says he needs a rest, maybe we might be better off biting the bullet and resting him for this one ?
But if Hurst decides it's best to play him, I'd support him and his decision regardless of the outcome.

Others will know better than me whether Parslow did well as sub on Tuesday (Maringer says "adequate" ? (Confused))
In any case, judging by Oxford, I'm not 100% convinced with him at RB.
I know he can "do a job" there (and also did well v Oxford reading the game and keeping his passes simple)
But as a CB by trade he doesn't look too nimble against quick passing sides and for me, looks better suited to defensive midfield.
Whether Bignot is any better at RB is debatable but he seems tactically astute and offers you something going forward.
So if Hurst was to play Bignot, I'd support that decision.

With Magnay not 100% anyway, what I would do is go "in for a penny in for a pound" regards "resting" players after a hard game.
For me, it all boils down whether to risk it with either Magnay, Parslow, Bignot at RB or risk "going for it" with 3 at the back.

Am I right in saying Thomas is playing through an injury anyway ? (thought I heard that but may well be wrong)
Brown had 60 mins yesterday and needs to come back at some point anyway.
Clay is rested ready to return.
Who knows if Disley will be jaded or not after Tuesday.

Altrincham might raise their game but maybe we can hit their frail confidence and snatch an early goal or 2 ?
Whether to keep it tight or go attacking from the off looks a very tough decision !   :-/
In any case we all know it's the type of "winnable" game we'd all love 3 pts from to keep the pressure on Barnet.
Should we not bag a point it's not the end of the world (but there's 3 up for grabs)

I'll go...

.......................McKeown
........Nsiala.....Pearson(c)..Parslow
Mackreth......Clay......Brown.......Arnold
........Pittman..John-Lewis..Hannah

Subs: Thomas, Bignot, Disley, Pell, Neilson.
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 15
I think Magnay might be rested, and I also think that a lot depends on how fit Brown is. I feel that Hurst will want to bring Brown back into the side as soon as he feels he's fit enough, and with the potential switch of Parslow to RB for Magnay, that would make that quandry just a little bit easier to solve. We'll see. I can't see any reason why he would deviate too much from Pete's suggested line up and formation (which, at times on Tuesday seemed like a 4-1-2-2-1 to me). Maybe he'll ask Disley to hold in DP's place.

I actually prefer Parslow as a right back to a holding midfielder - I trhought he did lots of good work against Halifax but he was caught flat-footed several times in the first half. I'm still trying to work out just how good Pell is and what his strengths are exactly, but he seems effective to me. As many others have said - it's very tough for the manager when practically everyone is fit. Personally I'd like to see Paddy come back in to the squad but feel he might go for defensive cover if he's losing Magnay, and the game is away from home.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 8:44pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from chaos33
I can't see any reason why he would deviate too much from Pete's suggested line up and formation (which, at times on Tuesday seemed like a 4-1-2-2-1 to me)

Depends on "width" IMO.
If you're playing a side like Halifax who tend to lump it into the box you arguably don't need to worry as much about wide areas.
How Altrincham set up and where their strengths (on the pitch) lie though, I've absolutely no idea !
Quoted from chaos33
I actually prefer Parslow as a right back to a holding midfielder - I trhought he did lots of good work against Halifax but he was caught flat-footed several times in the first half.

Appreciate your input.
Your latter point is my concern.
Quoted from chaos33
I'm still trying to work out just how good Pell is and what his strengths are exactly

Good on the ball ?
Pace ?
Gets around the pitch ?
Shooting ?
Quoted from chaos33
Personally I'd like to see Paddy come back in to the squad

In principle I agree.
Was thinking of putting him in the 16 myself but just goes to show how tough competition for places is right now.
Quoted from chaos33
but feel he might go for defensive cover if he's losing Magnay, and the game is away from home.

He might do, I agree.
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 9:07pm; Reply: 17
You 'appreciate my input'. Chuckle. Well that's good to know. Thanks. I'm not feeling patronised!  :P
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 9:16pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 120797

Depends on "width" IMO.
If you're playing a side like Halifax who tend to lump it into the box you arguably don't need to worry as much about wide areas.
How Altrincham set up and where their strengths (on the pitch) lie though, I've absolutely no idea !

Appreciate your input.
Your latter point is my concern.

Good on the ball ?
Pace ?
Gets around the pitch ?
Shooting ?

In principle I agree.
Was thinking of putting him in the 16 myself but just goes to show how tough competition for places is right now.

He might do, I agree.

Good points about width. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see 4-4-2 on Saturday.  Good summary of the attributes of Pell. I agree. I liked him. In addition, he has presence, he takes up good positions and he makes himself available very effectively. He might have scored in the first half after a surging run and good piece of team play. Keeper made a decent save (Disley really wanted it 'squaring' to him as he was in a good position).I did think he looked completely knackered in second half spells mindst, and his influence on the game dissipated during those spells. I had a good view of him from the main stand. He was flushed!  :o

I had an equally good view of DP and watched him keenly in that position. There were a couple of occasions in fairly quick succession where he seemed second best in reaction time to his opponent in the drop or bounce of the ball. He just didn't quite seem fully sharp at times to me. I thought he did quite well on balance without being as good as Disley or Pell in his overall performance level. That's just my opinion. He's always described by York fans as 'steady' and dependable' and that's what he's shown us I believe.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 9:16pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33
Thanks.

Chuckle. Well that's good to know. I'm not feeling patronised! :P

So very sorry.
Maybe I should have told you to intercourse off instead.  ::)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 9:21pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33
He's always described by York fans as 'steady' and dependable' and that's what he's shown us I believe.

Think that's a fair point.
Hope me agreeing with you again doesn't make you feel over-patronised.  :P
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 9:24pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 120797

Chuckle. Well that's good to know. I'm not feeling patronised! :P

So very sorry.
Maybe I should have told you to intercourse off instead.  ::)

That's not very nice is it. (icon_eek)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 22
It's called sarcasm.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 13, 2014, 9:38pm; Reply: 23
My XI must be good; Abdul copied it and SamtheMariner only made one change ;-)

I do like the versatility within the squad; not just Magnay and Parslow, but also Arnold, Neilson and Pittman, which means Hurst could name an XI and if we aren't sure of the likely formation, what chance do the opponents have.

UTM.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 24
Just for the record chaos it was a genuine show of appreciation because there were very few comments about Parslow in "Just back" and being in the Ponny, I couldn't gain any personal assessment on his performance in that game.

If I came over as patronising I can understand but tbh think you've simply assumed the worst.
No worries on my part though, I say let's just move on...
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
My XI must be good; Abdul copied it and SamtheMariner only made one change ;-)

I do like the versatility within the squad; not just Magnay and Parslow, but also Arnold, Neilson and Pittman, which means Hurst could name an XI and if we aren't sure of the likely formation, what chance do the opponents have.

UTM.

That's a bloody good point IMO.
Posted by: pizzzza, November 13, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 120797

I'll go...

Now come on 80s, after our run of form even you must be starting to see the virtue of retaining a winning side (as much as possible) and a consistent formation. 4 at the back, 3 in the middle, 2 out wide and LJL up top for me.

McKeown
Parslow
Thomas
Nsiala
Pearson
Disley
Clay
Pell
Arnold
Neilson
John-Lewis

Bignot
Brown
Mckreth
Pittman
Hannah
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from 120797
Just for the record chaos it was a genuine show of appreciation because there were very few comments about Parslow in "Just back" and being in the Ponny, I couldn't gain any personal assessment on his performance in that game.

If I came over as patronising I can understand but tbh think you've simply assumed the worst.
No worries on my part though, I say let's just move on...

Fine by me.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 10:09pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from pizzzza
Now come on 80s, after our run of form even you must be starting to see the virtue of retaining a winning side (as much as possible) and a consistent formation. 4 at the back, 3 in the middle, 2 out wide and LJL up top for me.

Well I couldn't really see what formation we were playing but the OS says:

"Daniel Parslow took up a holding midfield role behind a central quartet of Neilson, Craig Disley, Pell and Nathan Arnold, leaving Lenell John-Lewis as the lone striker."
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?MatchId=3742016#Hgv5tMEpScUlsq6R.99

So assuming that's true and you're putting 2 out wide, I guess you might be changing it too.

In any case, (and I know some will disagree), I think Hurst would be silly if he took no account of the opposition when choosing his players and formation.
To be fair we've been pretty successful playing different formations this season.
Posted by: chaos33, November 13, 2014, 10:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 120797
Another very tricky selection dilemma...(unsure)

According to Hurst Altrincham are a "good footballing side" who "dominated the 2nd half" in their recent defeat to Telford.
Don't think we should underestimate them - I agree they're quite likely to try and raise their game.
Not just cos they're playing GTFC but because teams often look for a response after defeat.
Being at home, would expect they'll try to put in a decent much improved performance.

Can't assess how bad Magnay is and whether he should be included.
If Hurst says he needs a rest, maybe we might be better off biting the bullet and resting him for this one ?
But if Hurst decides it's best to play him, I'd support him and his decision regardless of the outcome.

Others will know better than me whether Parslow did well as sub on Tuesday (Maringer says "adequate" ? (Confused))
In any case, judging by Oxford, I'm not 100% convinced with him at RB.
I know he can "do a job" there (and also did well v Oxford reading the game and keeping his passes simple)
But as a CB by trade he doesn't look too nimble against quick passing sides and for me, looks better suited to defensive midfield.
Whether Bignot is any better at RB is debatable but he seems tactically astute and offers you something going forward.
So if Hurst was to play Bignot, I'd support that decision.

With Magnay not 100% anyway, what I would do is go "in for a penny in for a pound" regards "resting" players after a hard game.
For me, it all boils down whether to risk it with either Magnay, Parslow, Bignot at RB or risk "going for it" with 3 at the back.

Am I right in saying Thomas is playing through an injury anyway ? (thought I heard that but may well be wrong)
Brown had 60 mins yesterday and needs to come back at some point anyway.
Clay is rested ready to return.
Who knows if Disley will be jaded or not after Tuesday.

Altrincham might raise their game but maybe we can hit their frail confidence and snatch an early goal or 2 ?
Whether to keep it tight or go attacking from the off looks a very tough decision !   :-/
In any case we all know it's the type of "winnable" game we'd all love 3 pts from to keep the pressure on Barnet.
Should we not bag a point it's not the end of the world (but there's 3 up for grabs)

I'll go...

So let's get this straight:

After a sequence of excellent wins based on not conceding goals, you'd change the formation of the team to one we've never played, with 3 at the back, including the right-footed Danny Parslow at left centre back. None of these defenders need a rest according to you (although others players apparently do need a respite) so they shouldn't be 'rotated' apparently, despite all playing a full 90 minutes on Tuesday. Those players who played very well on Tuesday - Disley, Neilson and Pell would all be dropped (oh dear, can't see them being happy about that after those performances) and cohesion and morale will drop through the floor. Arbitrary doesn't cover it. Incredible might.

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 13, 2014, 10:34pm; Reply: 30
Get a room you two.  :)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 11:11pm; Reply: 31
I agree Les, I won't reply.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 11:40pm; Reply: 32
But I still might if chaos accepts my apology for my appaling lack of reading skills on the other thread ;)

In any case, what the hell I'll do it anyway....
Stay tuned ! ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, November 14, 2014, 12:22am; Reply: 33
80s, that 343 is the sort of side Ossie Ardiles would pick - it's certainly daring!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 14, 2014, 2:43am; Reply: 34
Quoted from chaos33
After a sequence of excellent wins based on not conceding goals, you'd change the formation of the team to one we've never played, with 3 at the back,

Like in our VERY LAST GAME you mean ?! Awful I know...

I admitted 3 at the back was a risk (what isn't ?) but you can't say it isn't positive !
I explained my reasoning about making those changes and hitting "out of form" Altrincham early doors.

More to the point, what's YOUR own "risk free" suggestion ?
A full team (ideally with well laid out positions) would help.
Very easy to criticize, not so easy to come up with your own constructive solutions !  ::)

The way I see it, there's no "magic solution" anyway.
Keep a winning team ?
That's dinosaur has finally been put to bed LAST game - most of the fans on here wanted Neilson in !!!  ??) (thumbup)
Not that we haven't been changing the team many times before and winning without him either...

And wasn't so long ago people were complaining about "defensiveness" and 4-5-1.
What the brand NEW fad / trend this time ?
"Defensive" is now THEIR magic solution to "scoring lots of goals" and automatic promotion ?
Blimey !
Defence may well play a very important part but I'd be suprised to ever hear "we should go 4-5-1 each week" from the moaners and groaners who previously wanted him to go more attacking and score shed loads of goals.  ::)

And what if we DO go defensive and still lose anyway ?
Prey what will those "who would repeatedly criticize" say ?
Switch back to attacking again ?!!!  ??)
It's bloody ridiculous IMO.  :-/

Just personally I prefer to treat every game on it's own merits.
And judging by Oxford who knows, maybe Hurst does too.

For me, it beats adopting a brand new "one size fits all" miracle rule (that presumably we should stick to forever after) EACH AND EVERY GAME while we're winning !!!!  :o
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 14, 2014, 2:45am; Reply: 35
Quoted from chaos33
including the right-footed Danny Parslow at left centre back.

Not ideal on both counts I agree.
But least we've already played 3 at the back this season so we may be partly used to it.
(not that 4 in central midfield stopped us v Halfax !!)
Hopefully we'll be causing most of the problems anyway and he'll have little to do.
And like you said YOURSELF...
Quoted from chaos33
He's always described by York fans as 'steady' and dependable' and that's what he's shown us I believe.

So yes I may have my own few personal doubts.
But given what you've said, suprised you have tbh.

But again, what's YOUR alternative ?
Who would YOU play at right back ?
Stick your team up we'll all take a look...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 14, 2014, 2:49am; Reply: 36
Quoted from chaos33
Those players who played very well on Tuesday - Disley, Neilson and Pell would all be dropped (oh dear, can't see them being happy about that after those performances)

Well Neilson (MOM) being out the side seems to have been unaffacted !!!  ??) :)
IIRC wasn't it YOU who was agreeing with me about the general principle of Neilson and Pittman returning to the lineup ?
How come "cohesion and morale" didn't "drop through the floor" BEFORE Neilson returned back so well ?
Suprised you didn't mention these fears before his return !

IIRC too, Hurst only just said post match he was telling them in the dressing room about it being a "squad game".
And seem to remember it's hardly the first time he's mentioned it to them while simultaneously making changes and winning games too.
And what about Pell "coming in" out the blue ? Did that "upset the applecart" ?
I could go on ad infinum with examples but life's too short.

So in all conclusion (whatever happens on Saturday) are we really to believe "changes to the side" would be to blame ?

Quoted from chaos33
and cohesion and morale will drop through the floor.

It just feels like pure negative speculation based on no evidence I can really see.
I can only assume Hurst doesn't believe it to be a current "problem issue".
Otherwise he wouldn't have been changing it so regularly with so much success. ::)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 14, 2014, 2:57am; Reply: 37
Quoted from chaos33
None of these defenders need a rest according to you (although others players apparently do need a respite) so they shouldn't be 'rotated' apparently, despite all playing a full 90 minutes

I've rested Magnay and Thomas.
I've selected my own team based on my OWN injury doubts (apologies I don't have Dave Moore's phone number to hand !  ::))

I've also suggested Hurst might play Bignot if he feels it best.
Isn't that enough ?!!

You can't rest everyone !?!!
Or are you seriously suggesting resting ALL our key defenders and playing a back 4 of Humble, Walker, Bignot and Doig ?  ??)
If so, (with all due respect to them individually), we might as well wave the white flag and just surrender before kick off IMO. (surrender)

Amd where did I say "None of these defenders need a rest" ?
Maybe they ideally do !
But like Hurst said himself, least they've got a week off to recover.
But as I also said, my own defensive changes were partly about the right back/Magnay dilemma.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 14, 2014, 3:03am; Reply: 38
Quoted from chaos33
others players apparently do need a respite"

Well don't you think some might after a very hard fought victory ?!!  ??)
Let's get real here too...
It's generally easier for defenders to cope because they tend not to run about so much as midfielders and attackers.

So if you're gonna make changes and take risks (and what isn't ?), you're probably better off keeping your best defenders in for this one.

But as I said, this is a different kettle of fish with Magnay.
It's gonna be down to Hurst to assess the injury situation (and I trust him to !) and weigh up potential benefit v possible risk.
Last thing we'd want is for him to play and be out for 12 months if he wasn't right.
Not that I'd blame Hurst if it DID happen of course -  as we all know these things can always happen to any player at any time.

And if you mean Neilson on the bench (who's been out for a while anyway ! (Confused)) I'd have no quarms if he started.
Just thought he might be useful coming on as sub if things were deadlocked and we needed a goal.

In summary, I just hope if Hurst sticks to a "winning formula" like he did at Aldershot, we don't see another repeat.
i.e.same players are selected after winning within a tough period (yes they can feel the effects !) and we get stuffed.

Not that I subscribe to these "one size fits all" theories or "last game(s)" conclusions in any case...

Just think it's common sense to realize there's a small risk involved (shock horror when isn't there ?) if he plays all (or several of them) again after a tough game.

Just seems to me Hurst can't win.  :-/
If he makes changes he may be wrongly accused of "tinkering" (even though Neilson just came in and got MOM)
And if we have an Aldershot repeat you (and maybe others) may criticize him for not resting his best fit defenders. (a joke anyway IMO !)

And all this after 5 wins on the bounce ?  :o
I do hope not but sadly nothing would suprise me.

As always whatever he does, he can't please everyone...
Posted by: chaos33, November 14, 2014, 7:15am; Reply: 39
Every squad member has played a midweek game this week.

My team would be as Pete's I think.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 40
Completely unchanged then.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:11pm