Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 355 Guests

Qatar cleared but FIFA criticise FA

This thread currently has 2,909 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
November 13, 2014, 1:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob
We should leave FIFA and set up an alternative organisation. Split international football into two codes.

Much as I dislike it all, not sure whether I agree if England don't play in the World Cup.
Then again after recent disappointments you might think it a blessing.

Reply: 10 - 18
WappingMariner
November 13, 2014, 1:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
The only way FIFA will collapse is if the sponsors stop sponsoring tournaments. They hardly budged when the revelations came out in June. All one big gravy train that exists for the benefit of Mr Blatter and his pals and not, more importantly, for world football.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Grantham_Mariner
November 13, 2014, 1:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
The writer of the report is now claiming that FIFA have mis-represented his report in their summary!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
BeijingMariner
November 13, 2014, 1:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
LH
November 13, 2014, 2:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
We should have just kept football for ourselves and made the FA Cup winners world champions like the Super Bowl.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
HackneyHaddock
November 14, 2014, 4:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I don't think we expected anything else from FIFA, but the FA are partly to blame for going along with the pretence we would ever have any chance of winning a bid, while at the same time prostrating ourselves in front of weasels like Blatter and Warner, as we have been doing for years.

Who remembers the FA bowing to FIFA in allowing Man United to pull out of the FA Cup in a vain attempt to garner votes for the 2006 World Cup?  Or sending in the heir to the throne and various Prime Ministers to bow and scrape before these officials, who then told barefaced lies to their faces about their voting intentions?  Or trying to cut a shady deal with Franz Beckenbauer over 2006 then reneging on our word?  Or the freebies to Cup Finals and Internationals?  Or the bungs to "Soccer Schools" and other pet projects of assorted FIFA bigwigs?  Or the "gala dinner" thrown for the odious Jack Warner?  Or the Sunday night mid-season friendly in Trinidad & Tobago to try to grease up that self-same Warner?

If FIFA's that bad we need to take our share of the blame for creating the monster.  We might have to stay within it in order to change it, and that starts with cutting out and calling out these sort of shenanigans.  Don't play their game, FA, and concentrate on getting more people enjoying the game in this country.  You might be pleasantly surprised at how many allies you get once you take a stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
MarinerWY
November 15, 2014, 2:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
The only thing is for England, or even better a coalition of nations (or UEFA for example) to pull out of FIFA. It would take balls, but would be extremely effective and with all that has happened be the only meaningful action which would force change.

Anything else and things will carry on as normal.

In the meantime, as fans, boycott companies that sponser the World Cup's, for me especially Qatar 2022 given the horrific number of migrant deaths involved in the building of the stadiums, various other horrendous abuses of labour rights, terrible laws regarding gay rights, women's rights etc. and the corruption to boot. For me the fact that everyone bangs on about the temperature there... it's an issue, but for me it's way down on my list of why it's a ridiculous decision to host the tournament there.

If it goes ahead, I hope there is some real organised boycott of the sponsors.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
GrimRob
November 15, 2014, 5:54pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 120797

Much as I dislike it all, not sure whether I agree if England don't play in the World Cup.
Then again after recent disappointments you might think it a blessing.

We would play in a World Cup it just wouldn't be a FIFA world cup. Other countries would follow us, you'd end up with two sporting bodies like you have in rugby and eventually two sets of rules,

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 18
grimsby pete
November 15, 2014, 5:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
How about we just let FIFA get on with their corrupt ways,

We do not need a world cup to be held in this country,

The best or 80% of the best players in the world play for our teams every week.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Qatar cleared but FIFA criticise FA

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.