Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 13, 2014, 9:11am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30031405

Posted by: forza ivano, November 13, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 1
Thank god fifa don't go in for petty political points scoring eh?
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 13, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 2
Hate to say it but there was never going to be any other outcome. I remember speaking to Michael Garcia's office numerous times in June and, for someone meant to be working independently, he wasn't very cooperative. Immediately after the Sunday Times reported that the Qatar bid was corrupt, the English press were blocked at every opportunity of finding something out. This is a cheap shot at the FA as well. Every bidding nation does things to sweeten people so that that they spread the word about how great their bid is. The amounts of money involved are also small. Convenient that Eckhert has ignored a PwC audit of the Asian Football Confederation's accounts in July 2012 when the Confederation was investigating the activities of Mohamed bin Hammam, its former president. The same Mr bin Hammam who paid £250,000 to Jack Warner. The same Mr bin Hammam who worked for the Qatari Football Association to secure the World Cup for Qatar in 2022. The same Mr bin Hammam who was accused of paying bribes of more than $5 million to secure the World Cup. And... funnily enough... the same Mr bin Hammam who bought 14 shirts for Sepp Blatter worth $1,983. I admit that sum of money is about as petty as the £35,000 paid by the English FA to sponsor a gala dinner for the Caribbean Football Union. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/archive/01072/PWC_report_1072752a.pdf http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/international/article4108419.ece
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 13, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 3
Russia have destroyed all their computers so have no record of any bidding process,  ;D

The FBI and our serious fraud squad sre looking into this,

So this is not over my a long chalk. 8)
Posted by: Doubled, November 13, 2014, 12:30pm; Reply: 4
Smoke and mirrors, attack the FA to deflect from the truth.
FIFA investigates itself, and hey presto finds nothing wrong!
It stinks, I think we (England) should walk away from the
the whole corrupt mess.
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 13, 2014, 12:39pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Doubled
Smoke and mirrors, attack the FA to deflect from the truth.
FIFA investigates itself, and hey presto finds nothing wrong!
It stinks, I think we (England) should walk away from the
the whole corrupt mess.

You can spend hours trying to get to the heart of the story and still finish with nothing or no clear evidence. FIFA has billions in reserve and Blatter, until he snuffs it, will never leave. The irony of the current situation is laughable. FA declared £35K Gala Dinner for Caribbean Football Union- "damaged integrity"; Qatar hide £1.2m CAF Congress and dinner - ''didn't affect integrity''. Joke.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 13, 2014, 12:40pm; Reply: 6
We should leave FIFA and set up an alternative organisation. Split international football into two codes.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 13, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 7
The findings are already being questioned by the guy who did the investigating! Corrupt to the core, but like so many other powerful groups they can wiggle out of almost everything.
Posted by: Dan, November 13, 2014, 12:58pm; Reply: 8
The whole world is corrupt. This is not news.

The only way you can ever make change is to pull the money. What brand would want to be associated with catastrophic world cups in Russia and Qatar anyway? If you can't boycott Fifa, you should boycott Coca Cola for sponsoring them. They threaten to pull their money and Fifa would soon wake up.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 13, 2014, 1:00pm; Reply: 9
Dont believe for one moment that the English FA is whiter than white but equally not making all findings public and, as quoted this morning, the Russian FA disposing of the computers used at that time, smacks of the schoolboy claim that 'the dog ate my homework' trick.

The whole business is sordid and has been for many years. I dont think a break away group would be any different either. Bribery and corruption makes the world go round so they say
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 13, 2014, 1:09pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob
We should leave FIFA and set up an alternative organisation. Split international football into two codes.

Much as I dislike it all, not sure whether I agree if England don't play in the World Cup.
Then again after recent disappointments you might think it a blessing.

Posted by: WappingMariner, November 13, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 11
The only way FIFA will collapse is if the sponsors stop sponsoring tournaments. They hardly budged when the revelations came out in June. All one big gravy train that exists for the benefit of Mr Blatter and his pals and not, more importantly, for world football.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 13, 2014, 1:28pm; Reply: 12
The writer of the report is now claiming that FIFA have mis-represented his report in their summary!
Posted by: BeijingMariner, November 13, 2014, 1:58pm; Reply: 13
http://www.teamtalk.com/worldcup/england/9562555/FIFA-s-chief-ethics-investigator-Michael-Garcia-to-appeal-decision

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/garcia-appeal-fifa-conclusions-124700879--spt.html

interesting to watch how this will pan out
Posted by: LH, November 13, 2014, 2:03pm; Reply: 14
We should have just kept football for ourselves and made the FA Cup winners world champions like the Super Bowl.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 14, 2014, 4:19pm; Reply: 15
I don't think we expected anything else from FIFA, but the FA are partly to blame for going along with the pretence we would ever have any chance of winning a bid, while at the same time prostrating ourselves in front of weasels like Blatter and Warner, as we have been doing for years.

Who remembers the FA bowing to FIFA in allowing Man United to pull out of the FA Cup in a vain attempt to garner votes for the 2006 World Cup?  Or sending in the heir to the throne and various Prime Ministers to bow and scrape before these officials, who then told barefaced lies to their faces about their voting intentions?  Or trying to cut a shady deal with Franz Beckenbauer over 2006 then reneging on our word?  Or the freebies to Cup Finals and Internationals?  Or the bungs to "Soccer Schools" and other pet projects of assorted FIFA bigwigs?  Or the "gala dinner" thrown for the odious Jack Warner?  Or the Sunday night mid-season friendly in Trinidad & Tobago to try to grease up that self-same Warner?

If FIFA's that bad we need to take our share of the blame for creating the monster.  We might have to stay within it in order to change it, and that starts with cutting out and calling out these sort of shenanigans.  Don't play their game, FA, and concentrate on getting more people enjoying the game in this country.  You might be pleasantly surprised at how many allies you get once you take a stand.
Posted by: MarinerWY, November 15, 2014, 2:39pm; Reply: 16
The only thing is for England, or even better a coalition of nations (or UEFA for example) to pull out of FIFA. It would take balls, but would be extremely effective and with all that has happened be the only meaningful action which would force change.

Anything else and things will carry on as normal.

In the meantime, as fans, boycott companies that sponser the World Cup's, for me especially Qatar 2022 given the horrific number of migrant deaths involved in the building of the stadiums, various other horrendous abuses of labour rights, terrible laws regarding gay rights, women's rights etc. and the corruption to boot. For me the fact that everyone bangs on about the temperature there... it's an issue, but for me it's way down on my list of why it's a ridiculous decision to host the tournament there.

If it goes ahead, I hope there is some real organised boycott of the sponsors.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 15, 2014, 5:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 120797

Much as I dislike it all, not sure whether I agree if England don't play in the World Cup.
Then again after recent disappointments you might think it a blessing.

We would play in a World Cup it just wouldn't be a FIFA world cup. Other countries would follow us, you'd end up with two sporting bodies like you have in rugby and eventually two sets of rules,
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 15, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 18
How about we just let FIFA get on with their corrupt ways,

We do not need a world cup to be held in this country,

The best or 80% of the best players in the world play for our teams every week.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 12:25pm