rancido
October 21, 2014, 10:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Great result and the fact we could have been 3 or 4 down in 15mins but wasn't is very positive and bodes well.
An excellent long weekend for me and the other half, well worth the 4.30am Friday set off.
We did Torquay / Paignton / Brixham and found some cracking boozers and eateries, Saturday night was spent in a haunted Gloucester inn rounded off by a Sunday mooch around the docks and museum.
If only all away days could be like this.  

I used to have a pub/restaurant in a village called Stoke Gabriel just outside Paignton. It is a lovely part of the country and I have some very happy memories of my time there.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
FishOutOfWater
October 22, 2014, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from barralad
Well as this seems to be the proper "just Back" thread here's my 10 pennorth.

Torquay started really well and could have had three goals in the first 10 minutes (although we too could have scored). Their dead ball delivery (particularly from corners) was excellent all game.
Brown made an incredible reflex stop from a full blooded drive by Bowman (for reflex read "couldn't get out of the way") which earned him a pat on the back from the Torquay striker.
Lennie's first goal was a snap shot which completely surprised their keeper but it took a few seconds for (most of) the Town fans to realise he'd scored.
Torquay's equaliser came from an almost carbon copy of Halifax's goal the other week. The bloke stood next to me asked me why they didn't put the 6 foot plus Doig into the wall instead of the five foot Brown BEFORE the ball went over Brown's head, over the wall and into the net.
Town were though causing far more problems to Torquay attacking-wise and the goal from Disley to restore the lead was a cracker. At pace counter attacking and a great ball in from I think MacReth although anyone with better vision than Mr Magoo can correct me, and Dis's finish was excellent.
Torquay's equaliser came from a deep corner which was headed down and over McKeown with the keeper being somewhat impeded by a defender on the near post.
The winner was pure Lennie-hit first time the poor keeper who must hate his guts couldn't keep it out. No way back for the home side.
Best chant of the game was the Town fans view that the Torquay keeper was man of the match-he had a 'mare.
I didn't see the scuffle but in the interests of fairness the lad was allowed back in and shook hands with the steward.
Best Town player? Difficult to say macca made early crucial saves and a good late punch but must take some responsibility for the wall which failed for their first equaliser. Toto and the ever impressive Magnay stood out at the back. Lennie ran himself into the ground as did Brown. MacReth had his best game in a Town shirt for me and the much maligned Disley put in a shift.
Torquay's bar was very friendly and busy. The whole Town seems to be a bit too genteel for football to be honest....
Great support from the fans-again which the players-particularly Magnay really do appreciate..

I'm a bit surprised  to read this bit..

I saw one of those Road Wars / Booze Britain programmes a while back which featured Torquay and it showed up some parts of the town that were comparable to some of the worst areas of GY & Cleethorpes with drug raids, street violence etc

Then again that's 30 minutes footage over how long a period - look at how our local area is edited for TV to show only the bad stuff

Guess also with it being a seaside town it attracts all sorts of problems, so maybe not all local issues..

Had I not seen the show though I'd have taken what you said without questioning it but what I saw was certainly not what you'd call genteel  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 22
barralad
October 22, 2014, 6:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I'm a bit surprised  to read this bit..

I saw one of those Road Wars / Booze Britain programmes a while back which featured Torquay and it showed up some parts of the town that were comparable to some of the worst areas of GY & Cleethorpes with drug raids, street violence etc

Then again that's 30 minutes footage over how long a period - look at how our local area is edited for TV to show only the bad stuff

Guess also with it being a seaside town it attracts all sorts of problems, so maybe not all local issues..

Had I not seen the show though I'd have taken what you said without questioning it but what I saw was certainly not what you'd call genteel  

That was my "take" on it...I suppose in October there aren't too many tourists.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Real Just Back Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.