Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 18, 2014, 7:19pm
Just wanted to congratulate the team on an excellent win today. 3 wins (yes, I'm counting Lincoln because I love it when we beat them) in a week and an intriguing FA Cup tie to come.

Well done to the Shop for grabbing the winner and two goals from open play. Does that put him on 6 goals now?

3 points off the play-offs, 9 points off top spot, things are looking up.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 18, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 1
Hear Hear.
Posted by: wigworld, October 18, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 2
7 goals for LJL now, joint seventh highest goal scorer in the league.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2014, 12:09am; Reply: 3
I've given him some stick, but fair play to him today and this week generally.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 19, 2014, 12:17am; Reply: 4
Quoted from wigworld
7 goals for LJL now, joint seventh highest goal scorer in the league.

More than last seasons total league tally. If he could get 12 + then that would be fantastic for a target man.
Posted by: chicaneuk, October 19, 2014, 8:33am; Reply: 5
Agreed. Have to give it to PH and the team. I've been a bit down about town for the last month or two but it's been a great week for the club, the manager, and the players. Just hope we can keep this head of steam now and get ourselves comfortably into the playoffs :)
Posted by: BIGChris, October 19, 2014, 8:35am; Reply: 6
Lenny played well but Nsiala, Magney, McKeown, Mackreth Thomas and Disley had good games. Toto defensively was immense but dithered on the ball a few times, Mackreth saw more of the ball and did well and Dizza put in the kind of performance he is capable of but which,imo has been missing this season.
Torquay remain the best opposition i have seen this season. Great support no smoke bombs, friendly home fans but over zealous and heavy handed stewarding with no threat of trouble or violence. Once again the reputation Town got from Burton nearly 5 yrs ago means fans are treated as thugs by would be storm troopers
Posted by: Richard Cranium, October 19, 2014, 9:51am; Reply: 7
Quoted from BIGChris
Lenny played well but Nsiala, Magney, McKeown, Mackreth Thomas and Disley had good games. Toto defensively was immense but dithered on the ball a few times, Mackreth saw more of the ball and did well and Dizza put in the kind of performance he is capable of but which,imo has been missing this season.
Torquay remain the best opposition i have seen this season. Great support no smoke bombs, friendly home fans but over zealous and heavy handed stewarding with no threat of trouble or violence. Once again the reputation Town got from Burton nearly 5 yrs ago means fans are treated as thugs by would be storm troopers
Spot on Chris

Posted by: barralad, October 19, 2014, 10:15am; Reply: 8
Well as this seems to be the proper "just Back" thread here's my 10 pennorth.

Torquay started really well and could have had three goals in the first 10 minutes (although we too could have scored). Their dead ball delivery (particularly from corners) was excellent all game.
Brown made an incredible reflex stop from a full blooded drive by Bowman (for reflex read "couldn't get out of the way") which earned him a pat on the back from the Torquay striker.
Lennie's first goal was a snap shot which completely surprised their keeper but it took a few seconds for (most of) the Town fans to realise he'd scored.
Torquay's equaliser came from an almost carbon copy of Halifax's goal the other week. The bloke stood next to me asked me why they didn't put the 6 foot plus Doig into the wall instead of the five foot Brown BEFORE the ball went over Brown's head, over the wall and into the net.
Town were though causing far more problems to Torquay attacking-wise and the goal from Disley to restore the lead was a cracker. At pace counter attacking and a great ball in from I think MacReth although anyone with better vision than Mr Magoo can correct me, and Dis's finish was excellent.
Torquay's equaliser came from a deep corner which was headed down and over McKeown with the keeper being somewhat impeded by a defender on the near post.
The winner was pure Lennie-hit first time the poor keeper who must hate his guts couldn't keep it out. No way back for the home side.
Best chant of the game was the Town fans view that the Torquay keeper was man of the match-he had a 'mare.
I didn't see the scuffle but in the interests of fairness the lad was allowed back in and shook hands with the steward.
Best Town player? Difficult to say macca made early crucial saves and a good late punch but must take some responsibility for the wall which failed for their first equaliser. Toto and the ever impressive Magnay stood out at the back. Lennie ran himself into the ground as did Brown. MacReth had his best game in a Town shirt for me and the much maligned Disley put in a shift.
Torquay's bar was very friendly and busy. The whole Town seems to be a bit too genteel for football to be honest....
Great support from the fans-again which the players-particularly Magnay really do appreciate..

Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 19, 2014, 10:45am; Reply: 9
Quoted from barralad

Torquay started really well and could have had three goals in the first 10 minutes (although we too could have scored). Their dead ball delivery (particularly from corners) was excellent all game.
Brown made an incredible reflex stop from a full blooded drive by Bowman (for reflex read "couldn't get out of the way") which earned him a pat on the back from the Torquay striker.
Lennie's first goal was a snap shot which completely surprised their keeper but it took a few seconds for (most of) the Town fans to realise he'd scored.
Torquay's equaliser came from an almost carbon copy of Halifax's goal the other week. The bloke stood next to me asked me why they didn't put the 6 foot plus Doig into the wall instead of the five foot Brown BEFORE the ball went over Brown's head, over the wall and into the net.
Town were though causing far more problems to Torquay attacking-wise and the goal from Disley to restore the lead was a cracker. At pace counter attacking and a great ball in from I think MacReth although anyone with better vision than Mr Magoo can correct me, and Dis's finish was excellent.
Torquay's equaliser came from a deep corner which was headed down and over McKeown with the keeper being somewhat impeded by a defender on the near post.
The winner was pure Lennie-hit first time the poor keeper who must hate his guts couldn't keep it out. No way back for the home side.
Best chant of the game was the Town fans view that the Torquay keeper was man of the match-he had a 'mare.
I didn't see the scuffle but in the interests of fairness the lad was allowed back in and shook hands with the steward.
Best Town player? Difficult to say macca made early crucial saves and a good late punch but must take some responsibility for the wall which failed for their first equaliser. Toto and the ever impressive Magnay stood out at the back. Lennie ran himself into the ground as did Brown. MacReth had his best game in a Town shirt for me and the much maligned Disley put in a shift.
Torquay's bar was very friendly and busy. The whole Town seems to be a bit too genteel for football to be honest....
Great support from the fans-again which the players-particularly Magnay really do appreciate..

Watch this space, someone will come in for magnay come January at this rate
Posted by: Richard Cranium, October 19, 2014, 10:48am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Watch this space, someone will come in for magnay come January at this rate
What will you do with your shirt then ?

Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 19, 2014, 10:51am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Richard Cranium
What will you do with your shirt then ?

Rearrange the letters to GAYMAN ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 12
Quoted from 1739

More than last seasons total league tally. If he could get 12 + then that would be fantastic for a target man.

Not sure that would be fantastic. More an expectation.
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, October 19, 2014, 12:25pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Rearrange the letters to GAYMAN ;)

Excellent!  ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, October 19, 2014, 9:42pm; Reply: 14
Please use this thread for Just Back, the "other" thread has been locked
Posted by: LH, October 19, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 15
Real Just Back Thread are coincidentally my favourite lower league side in Spain.
Posted by: sydney, October 19, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 16
How many town fans were there yesterday approx
Come on Town!!
Posted by: forza ivano, October 19, 2014, 10:30pm; Reply: 17
About 270 Sydney.
Have just got back after a smashing weekend. South Devon really is a lovely area making trips to torquay a real treat.
Was one of the very few conference games t have actually enjoyed. Torquay are a an excellent side  and it was a pleasant surprise to see both sides trying to play football. Much less of the usual hoofball . Thought magnay thomas Disley brown neilson and the shop all played very well. Still not convinced by mackreth don't really see that he's an improvement on colbeck and certainly not a patch on rodman.
An exciting game with some excellent finishing the shops first goal was such a nonchalant piece of finishing that it took us a second to realise what he'd done super side foot finish after an excellent neilson pass. Dis leys goal was good and torquays free kick was a peach.the lad who scored it looks a very good player and he and brown had a real ding dong all game. Torquay will count themselves unfortunate particularly as the inept ref somehow missed 2 nailed on penalties after town defenders clearly hand balled. Looking back town worked very hard and won the right to start playing their football after the first twenty minutes or so. I'm now absolutely convinced that Lennie detractors should come to a few away games coz whenever I see him he is always a nuisance and creates things for his team mates. Oh forgot to mention that Arnold played very well in his cameo appearance.looked a real threat ,very pacey and was unlucky with an excellent run and finish which hit the post. On the other hand I still don't see the point of paddy McLaughlin!
Very enjoyable match, day, weekend lets hope we can continue with this run.what is it now? 1 defeat in 9?
Posted by: cod_head_doug, October 19, 2014, 11:12pm; Reply: 18
I would like to echo the thoughts of other Town fans, what a fantastic game of football, a brilliant 3 points, and a superb weekend in the English Riviera.
An excellent display of goalkeeping from James to keep us in the game for the first 20 minutes, if it was shown on match of the day they would be raving about it for a week. The work rate of all the outfield players was immence. Even the Shop found his range and took both of his goals very well indeed. The victory was nice revenge from earlier in the season at our place, but Torquay to be fair are a very good attacking team, poor old Ricey in their goal took a lot of stick from the Town faithfull all second half.
I cannot fault the commitment and work ethic on display by our team, I am so glad I went and so proud to be a Town fan.
It was a nice atmosphere in their bar before the match and both sets of fans mixed well. The day was only ruined a bit for me by some over-zealous stewards who seemed to take exception to some of our youths celebrating our goals. Its obvious that our "reputation" had preceded us as even I was searched before being allowed in the ground - and I'm 57 ! After the game me and the missus met up with three other Town fans and went to the Printers Elbow and had a great night watching a live band and celebrating whole-heartedly. I think we were a bit loud towards the end of the night as John Tondeaur (s) distanced himself from us. What an excellent weekend. Well done everyone on the playing staff, management and coaching staff.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 20, 2014, 2:58pm; Reply: 19
Great result and the fact we could have been 3 or 4 down in 15mins but wasn't is very positive and bodes well.
An excellent long weekend for me and the other half, well worth the 4.30am Friday set off.
We did Torquay / Paignton / Brixham and found some cracking boozers and eateries, Saturday night was spent in a haunted Gloucester inn rounded off by a Sunday mooch around the docks and museum.
If only all away days could be like this.  
Posted by: rancido, October 21, 2014, 10:39am; Reply: 20
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Great result and the fact we could have been 3 or 4 down in 15mins but wasn't is very positive and bodes well.
An excellent long weekend for me and the other half, well worth the 4.30am Friday set off.
We did Torquay / Paignton / Brixham and found some cracking boozers and eateries, Saturday night was spent in a haunted Gloucester inn rounded off by a Sunday mooch around the docks and museum.
If only all away days could be like this.  

I used to have a pub/restaurant in a village called Stoke Gabriel just outside Paignton. It is a lovely part of the country and I have some very happy memories of my time there.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 22, 2014, 2:07pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from barralad

I'm a bit surprised  to read this bit.. ::)

I saw one of those Road Wars / Booze Britain programmes a while back which featured Torquay and it showed up some parts of the town that were comparable to some of the worst areas of GY & Cleethorpes with drug raids, street violence etc

Then again that's 30 minutes footage over how long a period - look at how our local area is edited for TV to show only the bad stuff

Guess also with it being a seaside town it attracts all sorts of problems, so maybe not all local issues..

Had I not seen the show though I'd have taken what you said without questioning it but what I saw was certainly not what you'd call genteel  ;)
Posted by: barralad, October 22, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I'm a bit surprised  to read this bit.. ::)

I saw one of those Road Wars / Booze Britain programmes a while back which featured Torquay and it showed up some parts of the town that were comparable to some of the worst areas of GY & Cleethorpes with drug raids, street violence etc

Then again that's 30 minutes footage over how long a period - look at how our local area is edited for TV to show only the bad stuff

Guess also with it being a seaside town it attracts all sorts of problems, so maybe not all local issues..

Had I not seen the show though I'd have taken what you said without questioning it but what I saw was certainly not what you'd call genteel  ;)

That was my "take" on it...I suppose in October there aren't too many tourists.....
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:04pm