Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 406 Guests

Just back ?

This thread currently has 1,573 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
October 14, 2014, 11:30pm
Guest User
Looked to me like were slightly fortunate to win v a fair(?) Lincoln side.

We had certainly had our moments but the general pattern was Lincoln coming (and getting joy) down both flanks.

Large parts were "static" and wasn't overly impressed with a lack of movement at times but equally, let's keep it in perspective...

Started:

.............McKeown
Walker...Humble..Pearson..Bignot
Arnold...Paddy...Venney...Winfarrah
............Hannah..Oates

McKeown - Still doesn't look entirely comfortable with crosses. Some of his best goal kicks I've seen !

Walker - Committed and hard working display but still not convinced at right back. There's ability there but what position is he ?

Humble - Looks "professional" and can generally pass the ball well but slightly outmuscled and looks slow.

Pearson - Lacking options coming out of defence did better passing wise. Tbf having him probably helped get the win...

Bignot - A few good bits of composure he's tactically astute. Thought he did well enough at LB albeit doesn't look a natural defender.

Arnold - Dummys, body swerves on show. Great vision to find Hannah for the 2nd goal. Not on fire either, surely can do better. Would encourage him to spot when to run forward more.

Paddy - Good work rate. One of the few to spread the ball wide (we again failed to do this enough IMO) and looked quality but generally disappointing in possession and looked little better defensively dropping deep left or in a middle 3 late. Goalside when tackling please..

Venney - Fair play to the small lad, was boy v men but was on the pace running full pelt on most occassions. Also some simple but very effective touches. Maybe has a future.

Winfarrah - Oooof mixed bag. Early shot confirmed potential. Defensively turned both ways(!) at the back early and while not frightened to work or tackle, isn't Stuart Pearce and just don't fancy him at left back yet. Didn't run with the ball so doesn't look a winger yet either. That said felt sorry for him trying to find space 2nd half isolated out wide.
Actually fancy him the most to make the bigtime but wonder if it will be IN THE CENTRE. Perhaps needs to buckle down and learn in wider areas to aid his skill and composure long term before realizing that ambition.
No doubt pre-season (and last season !) proved there's something there (IMO)...

Hannah - Anyone who says Hannah offers nothing on the ball should take note of some lovely touches tonight. MOM and back to form (hopefully !). "George Best" chip 1st goal !  

Oates - Good running, flicks on and worked his bottom off. Struggles to hold the ball up but played Hannah through and can be proud but still looks more super-sub to me.
ginnywings
October 15, 2014, 7:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Good report 80's.

Sounds like Lincoln made the mistake of trying to play football. All they had to do was park the bus and they would have won 0-1.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
DocTower
October 15, 2014, 7:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Can't disagree with your summary 80's .  Lincoln were the better side I think on the night however HAnnah scored the goals that matter . The youngsters did very well , my concern would be the size of these lads . In the rough and tumble of real league or non league some them would be chewed up . Do you think Lincoln held back on some of their more meatier tackles because of this .?

Ross got the type of goals we used to see when he first arrived , was it something to do with a different partner . Arnold has got goals in him , his movement and positioning was evident . Oats again on 80 mins was flagging , after nearly a month with us surley he could last the full 90 . Super sub , yes .

Was nothing on the bench last night to replace with quality . Disappointed with the pathetic lincoln turn out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
October 15, 2014, 1:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from DocTower
Can't disagree with your summary 80's .  Lincoln were the better side I think on the night however HAnnah scored the goals that matter . The youngsters did very well , my concern would be the size of these lads . In the rough and tumble of real league or non league some them would be chewed up . Do you think Lincoln held back on some of their more meatier tackles because of this .?

Didn't see anything personally.
Venney showed what you lack, you can make up for in other areas but, I agree it's a slight concern.
But no suprises there, that was the partly the point - to see how they got on...

I think the young lads did very well with a hard working performance but now think they need to keep developing and individually improving.
While time and experience will help, they need to bring even more to the party to become first team regulars over time.

What worries a little is the lack of pace some youth players have but equally, there's no substitute for skill.
If you're good enough you're big enough ?
Quoted from DocTower
Lincoln were the better side I think on the night however HAnnah scored the goals that matter

Well tbh when you take into account the chances (including Oates glaring miss) and Arnold's 1st half shots there wasn't that much in it.
Lincoln just kept possession better and fact it's been confirmed they played an even stronger team makes it a good achievement, especially for those younger players.
Quoted from DocTower
Ross got the type of goals we used to see when he first arrived , was it something to do with a different partner.

Who knows but tbh I'm more inclined to agree with ginny that it could partly be Lincoln gave us more space to exploit.  
Quoted from DocTower
Oats again on 80 mins was flagging , after nearly a month with us surley he could last the full 90 . Super sub , yes .

See your point but to be fair, hasn't had that much time on the pitch.
Quoted from DocTower
Was nothing on the bench last night to replace with quality .

Losing wouldn't have been the end of world IMO.
Reply: 3 - 5
JMT
October 15, 2014, 3:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Thought we did enough to win in the end, there number 7 and 9 impressed me if i'm honest.

Arnold looked good, wouldn't start him just yet though.

Overall well done to the lad's even if it is a mickey mouse trophy, still silverware at the end of the day.

But the bloody ref was a joke with the injury time at the end!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
October 15, 2014, 6:34pm
Guest User
And all the dubious decisions before...
The guy sat in front of me said the ref was from Lincoln  
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.