Quoted from Garth
600 cold folk watching up in the gods

It wasn't that bad !

Reply: 70 - 77
October 14, 2014, 11:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth
I thought Paddy looked a bit fed up tonight and was never up for the fight

Disagree what stood out for me was the seniors were showing the way regards workrate.
As for performance, that's another matter...
Reply: 71 - 77
October 14, 2014, 11:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
Thought Winfarrah showed a few nice flashes. Good positive start with a shot in the first few minutes. A couple of good bits of play and a great ball over that Oates did brilliantly to bring down and lift over the defender before flicking it just over the bar.

A good point.

Quoted from Tommy
At times in between he looked a bit lost. Whether he was lacking a passing option a few times or not I don't know.

Agree, I think he was lacking options too.
Lack of movement, perhaps players on the ball have to take some responsibility too and be prepared to run more or show some skill to open up time or space.
If Pearson can manage it, others should be able to too ?

Reply: 72 - 77
October 15, 2014, 12:09am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Did Arnold play the full 90 minutes? If so, this should hopefully indicate that his injury problems are behind him and he can start earning his wages.

To me he looked a lot more mobile tonight and there was little sign of feeling down or anything like that.
Fingers crossed he stays fit.
Reply: 73 - 77
arryarryarry
October 15, 2014, 9:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Tommy
Generally agree with BigChris' summary.

Not a bad game with Lincoln trying to play a lot more football than we've seen from them in league games. Not sure how strong their starting eleven was but in terms of physicality it was strong, with no youngsters involved.

Lincoln had more possession but never worked McKeown once aside from their goal. We did look more likely to score and had more chances.

Thought Winfarrah showed a few nice flashes. Good positive start with a shot in the first few minutes. A couple of good bits of play and a great ball over that Oates did brilliantly to bring down and lift over the defender before flicking it just over the bar. At times in between he looked a bit lost. Whether he was lacking a passing option a few times or not I don't know. It did make me think he might be more suited to the left-back role getting the ball deeper and carrying it forward.

Arnold showed some good clever bits with some intelligent turns and touches. But didn't do much over the 90 mins. Looked tired most of 2nd half.

Venney was very good. Looks like a mini-Brown. Very busy, putting people under pressure and giving as much as he got physically from Power and their no.19. Kept it simple when he had the ball.

Walker was OK. Caught out a couple of times but can't be many games where a full back doesnt let the winger get by him a once or twice.

Humble didn't make any glaring errors but looked quite clumsy on the ball to me.

As Chris says, Paddy was disappointing. I thought this was a game he should've taken by the scruff of the neck and demanded the ball off everyone to dictate the play in the middle. Now, I know it can be difficult when you're not playing with the normal first team, but I expected more from him tonight.

Hannah's 2 goals really were class. The 1st one was a his second attempt after his first was saved by the keeper (thought he should have scored first time really). The ball came back to him and he looked up to see the goalie in front of him and a defender on the line. He dug the ball out from under his feet to hit a lovely chip which lofted over the GK and the defender on the line.

His 2nd was after a good ball through from Oates. Hannah (starting around the centre circle) then showed acceleration and pace like I've never seen from him. Don't know if the defender was slow but I've never seen Hannah run so quick. As he got in the box and the keeper came out, Hannah just dinked it over him and it bounced into the net.

That's exactly what I said last night, in fact it was him that gave the ball away that led to their goal, then poor defending by Winfarrah and Bignot contributed.

You can see from that game why he isn't a first team regular.

Overall not a bad game considering the side we put out. I was impressed by the young Venney lad who didn't seem overawed.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
diehardmariner
October 15, 2014, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537
I actually thought Hannah scuffed his first goal, went for power and ended up mis-kicking it into a sort of lob.  Keen to see the highlights on that one.

If it was a deliberate, hell of a goal and great vision.

No doubting the second goal was intentional. Showed everything he is capable of but hasn't done for so long for us.  Had confidence in his own pace to not stand a yard offside waiting for the through ball, used said pace to get away from the defender and then a delicate little dink over the 'keeper to perfection.  

Was the first time since his loan spell that I've seen him look remotely quick, I don't think it was a case of a slow defender either.  

Arnold looked very lively and I agree with the earlier assessment about him suited to a 3-man attack, as he does seem to lack a little in defensive responsibilities but very sharp going forward.  Was impressed with his ability to thread a through ball to.  

Venney looks a great prospect, but lets remember he's still a prospect.  At times looked what he is, a boy against men, but there is some serious raw talent in there.  Essential we develop him correctly rather than get over excited and place unrealistic expectations on him.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 77
October 15, 2014, 1:29pm
Guest User
Have another watch I'm sure you'll come to the conclusion the 1st goal was intentional.  
Reply: 76 - 77
diehardmariner
October 15, 2014, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537
Not had chance yet but happily refer to the second paragraph.

Even better for his confidence.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.