Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 14, 2014, 9:38am
Only expect 3-4 youth players involved, rest will be first team
Posted by: GyMariner, October 14, 2014, 9:40am; Reply: 1
A winning mentality may help but I agree to play fringe players who need game time.
Posted by: denni266, October 14, 2014, 9:54am; Reply: 2
Its a game we realy could do without, but chance for fringe players to get some real time on the pitch, We  dont want to be risking too many first team regulars tonight
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 14, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 3
Agreed its really important that winfarrah, walker, humble bignot  get games for when we need them.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 14, 2014, 11:46am; Reply: 4
I'd just really quite like to win tonight.
Posted by: Garth, October 14, 2014, 12:24pm; Reply: 5
Guy in the shop just told me that most of the team tonight will be full time pros with 3 or 4 youthies
Posted by: Abdul19, October 14, 2014, 12:56pm; Reply: 6
Makes sense I suppose - all 5 subs from Saturday probably need minutes, plus the 3 first year pros. And Bignot, obviously.

As long as no-one gets injured or sent off, then great. Not really fussed about the result, although it wouldn't be great if we got a battering!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 14, 2014, 1:32pm; Reply: 7
I guess there is every chance lincoln will also use fringe players so should even things up.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 14, 2014, 1:47pm; Reply: 8
Just listened to Hurst on MP - says it'll be a team of pros but will have a think about whether to start any youth.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 14, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 120797
Just listened to Hurst on MP - says it'll be a team of pros but will have a think about whether to start any youth.

Winfarrah, Walker and Humble are pro's,

Bemrose and Vennery are the only youths he will put in,

Unless he picks Bastock and gives Macca a night off.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 14, 2014, 1:59pm; Reply: 10
Indeed Pete, he said it would be a team of pros and a strong team.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 14, 2014, 2:11pm; Reply: 11
i would expect Venney to start with Disley with his experience.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 14, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from denni266
Its a game we realy could do without, but chance for fringe players to get some real time on the pitch, We  dont want to be risking too many first team regulars tonight

On the Lincoln forum one fan asks,
                                                           Is there /was there anything from the Lincs F.A. saying we have to put out a decent team ? I'm sure there was something about that at one point.

So maybe Hurst has to play a strong team !
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 14, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 13
If this was played pre season like it should have been, then it would have been fringe players and trialists, so do not see why they have to play the 1st team tonight
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 14, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 14
2nd string = pros = "strongest team".
Job done !
Posted by: maxfox44, October 14, 2014, 2:52pm; Reply: 15
I might have completely made this up, but I thought only registered players could play in the Senior cup, making trialists not possible.
Posted by: Freemoash88, October 14, 2014, 2:56pm; Reply: 16
This is a complete shambles this Lincs Cup. Complete and utter pointless what happens if anyone gets injured tonight is it really worth the risk. I know we have to play it now but i'd be getting something sorted for next season so that it's only played in Pre Season only. If Games cannot be found and arranged in pre-season then it should be scrapped.

I'm not interested in the slightest about Tonights game and won't be going out my way to find out.

I just hope no senior players get injured and lets focus and the next league game.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, October 14, 2014, 6:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from promotion plaice

On the Lincoln forum one fan asks,
                                                           Is there /was there anything from the Lincs F.A. saying we have to put out a decent team ? I'm sure there was something about that at one point.

So maybe Hurst has to play a strong team !

I think they are supposed to put out a decent team in the Conference as well but in general they never seemed to meet that requirement.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, October 14, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 18
Tonight team is

McKeown
Walker
Bignot
Venney
Pearson
Humble
Arnold
Paddy Mc
Oates
Hannah
Winfarrah

subs
Sunter
Bastock
Appleby
Barnett
Bemrose
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 14, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 19
Isn't there a ruling by the Lincs FA that each team has to field at least six recognised first teamers ?
I'm sure I read that somewhere.

UTM
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 14, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 20
Is Bastock Boston United legend Paul Bastock's son? If so, amazing.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, October 14, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 21
Lincoln team "on paper" looks quite a strong lineup at first glance...?
Posted by: mimma, October 14, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 22
Fortunately, they are playing on grass, not paper
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 14, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 23
Thought Pearson was suspended after getting 5 yellows??
Posted by: chaos33, October 14, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 24
What's the formation and positions?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 14, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Is Bastock Boston United legend Paul Bastock's son? If so, amazing.

Yes
Posted by: Abdul19, October 14, 2014, 7:52pm; Reply: 26
I'm guessing it's:

Walker
Humble
Pearson
Bignot

Arnold
Venney
McLaughlin
Winfarrah

Oates
Hannah
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 8:09pm; Reply: 27
According to imp fans they think both clubs will be fined 1k for playing the fixture during the league campaign and not during pre season in which it states in the rules.

Some of the competition rules: 

(From Rule 3): All matches shall be completed during the pre season, before the Football League/Blue Square League programme commences otherwise a fine of £1000.00 (per club) will be imposed. 

(From Rule 4): A playing member is one who is a proper registered player of that club thus making him eligible to play in one or other of their respective League Competitions. Every Club in the Competition shall play their strongest team. Any Club proved to be playing an understrength team shall be dealt with by the Council. 

(From Rule 5): Any club wishing to opt out of the Competition may do so on making an annual payment of £1,500 to the Lincolnshire County Football Association. Full rules can be found on pages 18-19 of the Lincs FA Handbook.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 14, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Thought Pearson was suspended after getting 5 yellows??

This match does not count,

BUT

If he gets booked or sent off ,

It does count !!!!!!!!

Good old F.A.
Posted by: Sigone, October 14, 2014, 8:16pm; Reply: 29
Get in Ross Hannah. 1 0
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 14, 2014, 8:16pm; Reply: 30
So... Does anyone know what's going on at the game?
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, October 14, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 31
Gooooal Ross Hannah, 1-0 Town

UTM
Posted by: Sigone, October 14, 2014, 8:18pm; Reply: 32
Lincoln playing the better football. Town all the chances with Arnold going close a few times
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 14, 2014, 8:19pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Sigone
Lincoln playing the better football. Town all the chances with Arnold going close a few times

I hope Arnold is taken off at H.T.

We need him for Torquay.
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 8:20pm; Reply: 34
GOAL! #GTFC 1-0 Lincoln City!

29: Arnold's 25 yard drive is acrobatically tipped wide by Townsend

25: From McLaughlin's resulting corner, Arnold had three attempts - the first two were blocked but the third flashed just wide

25: From the resulting corner from McLaughlin, Arnold had three attempts - the first two were blocked but the third flashed just wide

24: Great work from Paul Bignot down the right flank to win a corner for #GTFC

CLOSE! Oates goes close to heading #GTFC in front but Townsend does enough to clear

Hannah's neat dink into the six-yard box.

15: Slow start to proceedings, neither side have tested the respective back-lines. Still, it's only early doors

6: Caine Winfarrah with the first shot of the game, he picked it up centrally 35 yards out and stuck it five yards wide of Townsend's post.
Posted by: Sigone, October 14, 2014, 8:21pm; Reply: 35
1 1. Terrible defending from Winfarrow
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, October 14, 2014, 8:21pm; Reply: 36
1-1 now
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 37
35: Marcus Marshall slams it past McKeown inside the box after his original effort was blocked. All too easy, sloppy defending from #GTFC

GOAL to The Imps, 1-1

30: Hannah clips it into the top corner to put #GTFC ahead. Hannah's first effort was saved but the second was despatched nonchalantly
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 14, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 38
Marcus Marshall scored for them
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 39
39: Free-kick from McLaughlin takes a deflection off the Imps wall and somehow manages to strike the post
Posted by: fiveallive, October 14, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 40
Good to see get a goal tonight hoping he can get a couple more.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 14, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 41
Arnhold free kick deflected onto the post, Hannah reacts first, but is ruled offside so its still 1 1
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 42
41: Some great energy and heart from Venney in the middle of the park. Despite his size he's getting stuck in against a big Imps side.
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 8:33pm; Reply: 43
HT: #GTFC 1-1 Lincoln CityHannah put Town in front but Marshall stuck back quickly for The Imps.
Posted by: mariner91, October 14, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Arnhold free kick deflected onto the post, Hannah reacts first, but is ruled offside so its still 1 1

Hannah offside?! Collector's item that.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 14, 2014, 8:43pm; Reply: 45
Does Josh Venney look a decent player, and also what about Walker, Winfarrah and Humble ?.
Posted by: Fishfinger, October 14, 2014, 8:45pm; Reply: 46
Sounds as if Venney is doing quite well. Hopefully one for the future
Posted by: fiveallive, October 14, 2014, 8:50pm; Reply: 47
If i was getting PH i would be getting Scottie Brown to take him under his wing, and he could help him be a good player.
Posted by: northbankmariner, October 14, 2014, 9:09pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from fiveallive
If i was getting PH i would be getting Scottie Brown to take him under his wing, and he could help him be a good player.

That's a good point. I wonder if any if the senior pro's  do any mentoring with the youths/first year pro's they would benefit from this I am sure.
Posted by: Sigone, October 14, 2014, 9:13pm; Reply: 49
2-1 Hannah good goal too
Posted by: chaos33, October 14, 2014, 9:14pm; Reply: 50
Ross Hannah puts Town 2-1 up following assist from Oates. :)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 14, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 51
Well done Town we've won the cup :)
Posted by: northbankmariner, October 14, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 52
A useful runout for some players, good to see Ross bagging a couple. Pleased no injuries and Arnold getting much needed game time. Oh and any win against Lincoln is a good win UTM.
Posted by: chicaneuk, October 14, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 53
Well done, Town :) Might not matter much, but surely a nice morale booster for the lads and a bit more silverware for the board room!

UTM!
Posted by: Meza, October 14, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 54
Well done Hannah, Oakes and Arnold .....in fact well done all.

Was the last cup finals attendance better at sincil bank, if so probably down to the date of the fixture.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 55
What I was going to say northbank.
Posted by: Maringer, October 14, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 56
First silverware of the season! Hopefully not the last...  ;)

Good to see Hannah getting goals - fingers-crossed that this will give him the confidence to start doing it in the Conference?

Did Arnold play the full 90 minutes? If so, this should hopefully indicate that his injury problems are behind him and he can start earning his wages.
Posted by: immariner, October 14, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 57
Got to be pleased with that. Our fringe players and some young ones got a run out against a much stronger (relatively) Lincoln side. And won. Nice one.

Quoted from Meza
Well done Hannah, Oakes and Arnold .....in fact well done all.

Was the last cup finals attendance better at sincil bank, if so probably down to the date of the fixture.

Yes, Mez. There were more Town fans alone at Sincil Bank last time than tonight's game.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, October 14, 2014, 9:58pm; Reply: 58
Biggest plus point from tonight is that Josh Venney seems like he might be one for the future?
Posted by: Sigone, October 14, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 59
On the back foot for most of the night, but Pearson in particular defending well meaning Macca had very little to do.  Lincoln passed the ball around really well (blink2) but had nothing inside the penalty area.  We looked fairly dangerous on the counter attack, but i thought we was all too close together and a bit static.  Hannah took his goals really well.  Hard for the young kids to impress, (which they didn't) but considering they haven't had any sort of game time in the last few months its understandable.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 14, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 60
Also good to see Hannah net a couple too.  Well done to Town.
Posted by: grimps, October 14, 2014, 10:21pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Biggest plus point from tonight is that Josh Venney seems like he might be one for the future?

It makes no difference to be fair !
Hurst will never play young players and there's no chance of Hannah or any of the other strikers that played tonight getting a start on Saturday.
Has Hurst brought one young player on into a first team regular  since he's been here ?
Posted by: BIGChris, October 14, 2014, 10:31pm; Reply: 62
Quite enjoyed the game. Lincoln had a much stronger team out and had the greater possession. Sam-Yorke looked strong up front but Ellis Humble competed well and Shaun marshalled the defence very well. Bignot was solid at left back and Walker got better after a shaky start.

Pleased to see Arnold get 90 mins, think he would be better up front in a 3 because he is sharp over the first few yards and has a good shot on him. Oates worked very hard and again was struggling towards the end but his ball to Hannah for the winner was excellent.
Ross didn't make a huge contribution to the play but that's fine when he finished his 2 chances with genuine class!

Caine struggled a bit, Paddy was, IMO, a big disappointment but Josh Venney did well against the experienced and physical Power in central midfield.

Hannah's quality saw us home in the end.

640 odd fans with probably 20 Imps
Posted by: Tom13, October 14, 2014, 10:38pm; Reply: 63
Does tonight mean Hannah is the winner of the (incredibly prestigious) Lincs Cup Golden Boot?
Posted by: Garth, October 14, 2014, 10:52pm; Reply: 64
We were poor tonight and Lincoln were worse, maybe it was the atmosphere of 600 cold folk watching up in the gods I don`t know, the cup means nowt but it always nice to beat Lincoln even in front of one man and his dog.

If we had put the first team out tonight we would have run riot,  as it was the boys did well against a physical Lincoln but a striker we must get
Posted by: forza ivano, October 14, 2014, 10:52pm; Reply: 65

Paddy was, IMO, a big disappointment

When is he ever anything but a big disappointment? Most overrated town player in yonks

Posted by: Tinymariner, October 14, 2014, 11:09pm; Reply: 66
Paddy was poor tonight but I thought Humble was awful. Looked lost at times with poor positioning and only remember one decent tackle by him all game. On the plus side, Arnold and Hannah looked good and Venney had a great game, full of running and energy. Bignot had a decent game too. IMO. Overall, well done Town UTM
Posted by: Tommy, October 14, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 67
Generally agree with BigChris' summary.

Not a bad game with Lincoln trying to play a lot more football than we've seen from them in league games. Not sure how strong their starting eleven was but in terms of physicality it was strong, with no youngsters involved.

Lincoln had more possession but never worked McKeown once aside from their goal. We did look more likely to score and had more chances.

Thought Winfarrah showed a few nice flashes. Good positive start with a shot in the first few minutes. A couple of good bits of play and a great ball over that Oates did brilliantly to bring down and lift over the defender before flicking it just over the bar. At times in between he looked a bit lost. Whether he was lacking a passing option a few times or not I don't know. It did make me think he might be more suited to the left-back role getting the ball deeper and carrying it forward.

Arnold showed some good clever bits with some intelligent turns and touches. But didn't do much over the 90 mins. Looked tired most of 2nd half.

Venney was very good. Looks like a mini-Brown. Very busy, putting people under pressure and giving as much as he got physically from Power and their no.19. Kept it simple when he had the ball.

Walker was OK. Caught out a couple of times but can't be many games where a full back doesnt let the winger get by him a once or twice.

Humble didn't make any glaring errors but looked quite clumsy on the ball to me.

As Chris says, Paddy was disappointing. I thought this was a game he should've taken by the scruff of the neck and demanded the ball off everyone to dictate the play in the middle. Now, I know it can be difficult when you're not playing with the normal first team, but I expected more from him tonight.

Hannah's 2 goals really were class. The 1st one was a his second attempt after his first was saved by the keeper (thought he should have scored first time really). The ball came back to him and he looked up to see the goalie in front of him and a defender on the line. He dug the ball out from under his feet to hit a lovely chip which lofted over the GK and the defender on the line.

His 2nd was after a good ball through from Oates. Hannah (starting around the centre circle) then showed acceleration and pace like I've never seen from him. Don't know if the defender was slow but I've never seen Hannah run so quick. As he got in the box and the keeper came out, Hannah just dinked it over him and it bounced into the net.
Posted by: Garth, October 14, 2014, 11:19pm; Reply: 68
I thought Paddy looked a bit fed up tonight and was never up for the fight, he is a much better player than this and has seemed to have lost confidence, young Venney was easily the pick of the two, apart from his goals Hannah did little but like Jimmy Greaves chances one on one with the keeper and poaching something from nothing is his game
Posted by: Tommy, October 14, 2014, 11:33pm; Reply: 69
[URL=http://s105.photobucket.com/user/slytom84/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141014_214048.jpg.html][IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/slytom84/Mobile%20Uploads/20141014_214048.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 14, 2014, 11:42pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Garth
600 cold folk watching up in the gods

It wasn't that bad !

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 14, 2014, 11:45pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Garth
I thought Paddy looked a bit fed up tonight and was never up for the fight

Disagree what stood out for me was the seniors were showing the way regards workrate.
As for performance, that's another matter...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 14, 2014, 11:59pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Tommy
Thought Winfarrah showed a few nice flashes. Good positive start with a shot in the first few minutes. A couple of good bits of play and a great ball over that Oates did brilliantly to bring down and lift over the defender before flicking it just over the bar.

A good point.

Quoted from Tommy
At times in between he looked a bit lost. Whether he was lacking a passing option a few times or not I don't know.

Agree, I think he was lacking options too.
Lack of movement, perhaps players on the ball have to take some responsibility too and be prepared to run more or show some skill to open up time or space.
If Pearson can manage it, others should be able to too ?

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 15, 2014, 12:09am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Maringer
Did Arnold play the full 90 minutes? If so, this should hopefully indicate that his injury problems are behind him and he can start earning his wages.

To me he looked a lot more mobile tonight and there was little sign of feeling down or anything like that.
Fingers crossed he stays fit.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 15, 2014, 9:22am; Reply: 74
Quoted from Tommy
Generally agree with BigChris' summary.

Not a bad game with Lincoln trying to play a lot more football than we've seen from them in league games. Not sure how strong their starting eleven was but in terms of physicality it was strong, with no youngsters involved.

Lincoln had more possession but never worked McKeown once aside from their goal. We did look more likely to score and had more chances.

Thought Winfarrah showed a few nice flashes. Good positive start with a shot in the first few minutes. A couple of good bits of play and a great ball over that Oates did brilliantly to bring down and lift over the defender before flicking it just over the bar. At times in between he looked a bit lost. Whether he was lacking a passing option a few times or not I don't know. It did make me think he might be more suited to the left-back role getting the ball deeper and carrying it forward.

Arnold showed some good clever bits with some intelligent turns and touches. But didn't do much over the 90 mins. Looked tired most of 2nd half.

Venney was very good. Looks like a mini-Brown. Very busy, putting people under pressure and giving as much as he got physically from Power and their no.19. Kept it simple when he had the ball.

Walker was OK. Caught out a couple of times but can't be many games where a full back doesnt let the winger get by him a once or twice.

Humble didn't make any glaring errors but looked quite clumsy on the ball to me.

As Chris says, Paddy was disappointing. I thought this was a game he should've taken by the scruff of the neck and demanded the ball off everyone to dictate the play in the middle. Now, I know it can be difficult when you're not playing with the normal first team, but I expected more from him tonight.

Hannah's 2 goals really were class. The 1st one was a his second attempt after his first was saved by the keeper (thought he should have scored first time really). The ball came back to him and he looked up to see the goalie in front of him and a defender on the line. He dug the ball out from under his feet to hit a lovely chip which lofted over the GK and the defender on the line.

His 2nd was after a good ball through from Oates. Hannah (starting around the centre circle) then showed acceleration and pace like I've never seen from him. Don't know if the defender was slow but I've never seen Hannah run so quick. As he got in the box and the keeper came out, Hannah just dinked it over him and it bounced into the net.

That's exactly what I said last night, in fact it was him that gave the ball away that led to their goal, then poor defending by Winfarrah and Bignot contributed.

You can see from that game why he isn't a first team regular.

Overall not a bad game considering the side we put out. I was impressed by the young Venney lad who didn't seem overawed.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 15, 2014, 9:39am; Reply: 75
I actually thought Hannah scuffed his first goal, went for power and ended up mis-kicking it into a sort of lob.  Keen to see the highlights on that one.

If it was a deliberate, hell of a goal and great vision.

No doubting the second goal was intentional. Showed everything he is capable of but hasn't done for so long for us.  Had confidence in his own pace to not stand a yard offside waiting for the through ball, used said pace to get away from the defender and then a delicate little dink over the 'keeper to perfection.  

Was the first time since his loan spell that I've seen him look remotely quick, I don't think it was a case of a slow defender either.  

Arnold looked very lively and I agree with the earlier assessment about him suited to a 3-man attack, as he does seem to lack a little in defensive responsibilities but very sharp going forward.  Was impressed with his ability to thread a through ball to.  

Venney looks a great prospect, but lets remember he's still a prospect.  At times looked what he is, a boy against men, but there is some serious raw talent in there.  Essential we develop him correctly rather than get over excited and place unrealistic expectations on him.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 15, 2014, 1:29pm; Reply: 76
Have another watch I'm sure you'll come to the conclusion the 1st goal was intentional.  :)
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 15, 2014, 9:06pm; Reply: 77
Not had chance yet but happily refer to the second paragraph.

Even better for his confidence.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 6:22am