3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Richard Cranium
October 2, 2014, 12:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Quoted from Maringer
We'll not get anything like 4,000 for a home game (other than a derby) regardless.

Just looked at the results from the middle of the 2011/12 season when we were unbeaten in months and hanging around the top of the table, and we were only attracting the same number of fans as we did for the Welling game the other week. Just a few hundred more than last night, even.

I don't think even plenty of victories and scoring goals makes all that much difference to the attendance.
I totally agree with you. Last night I would have picked exactly the same team that Hurst did but Southport completely ground us down. We just didn't know how to combat it,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
arryarryarry
October 2, 2014, 12:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Richard Cranium
I totally agree with you. Last night I would have picked exactly the same team that Hurst did but Southport completely ground us down. We just didn't know how to combat it,

What a load of b0llocks, a team without an away win for God knows how long, lost their last 4 games without scoring a goal, how come they didn't grind any of the other teams down.

We were sh!t end of, why can't you just accept that.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Maringer
October 2, 2014, 7:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
I think his comment was fair. Southport came at us from the kick-off and we couldn't cope with their high tempo and pressing game as they certainly didn't sit back in the way that Nuneaton and Dover did. We couldn't cope with their up and at 'em attitude because pretty much all of our players were crap on the night. I reckon that's about as well as Southport can play and (hopefully) about as badly as we can play.

Only hope we don't have to see anything as inept as that for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
ackomariner
October 2, 2014, 8:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer
I think his comment was fair. Southport came at us from the kick-off and we couldn't cope with their high tempo and pressing game as they certainly didn't sit back in the way that Nuneaton and Dover did. We couldn't cope with their up and at 'em attitude because pretty much all of our players were crap on the night. I reckon that's about as well as Southport can play and (hopefully) about as badly as we can play.

Only hope we don't have to see anything as inept as that for the rest of the season.

If we can't cope with southport..........god help us

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2014, 9:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer

Southport came at us because we let them.

Before kick-off Hurst SHOULD be telling the team to start at a high tempo, get the ball into channels to attack their slow back 3, move players like Big Mac about and create gaps for Neilson, Brown and Mackreth to exploit. To my mind, either the players don't listen or he doesn't say it. More than that,why wasn't something done at half-time? I don't know the answer but I suspect it's because dull Paul thinks that 0-0 isn't bad and we can still win without changing it.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he's still way too defensively minded. Of our strikers, one's hamstrung, one's offside, one can't score and the other doesn't seem to want to play so we've loaned in a kid that isn't match-fit. It's bonkers!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
ginnywings
October 2, 2014, 9:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Southport came at us because we let them.

Before kick-off Hurst SHOULD be telling the team to start at a high tempo, get the ball into channels to attack their slow back 3, move players like Big Mac about and create gaps for Neilson, Brown and Mackreth to exploit. To my mind, either the players don't listen or he doesn't say it. More than that,why wasn't something done at half-time? I don't know the answer but I suspect it's because dull Paul thinks that 0-0 isn't bad and we can still win without changing it.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he's still way too defensively minded. Of our strikers, one's hamstrung, one's offside, one can't score and the other doesn't seem to want to play so we've loaned in a kid that isn't match-fit. It's bonkers!

He has never to my knowledge made an unforced change before at least the 60 min mark. Strange.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
biggles9999
October 2, 2014, 10:01am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from ginnywings

He has never to my knowledge made an unforced change before at least the 60 min mark. Strange.

Depending on whether you count Hurst as being Scott and Hurst, wasnt there a game when we took off I'anson and possibly Southwell early on (first half?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
grimsby pete
October 2, 2014, 10:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Regarding not getting gates of 4,000,

Just shows how the good few fans who want Town to be consistent before they return to Blundell Park,

Maybe they agree with the growing number on here that a change at the top is needed before we can be consistent ,

Whatever the reason they are staying away they will not return because of the way we are playing at the moment.,

Let's remember we were getting gates of 4,000 or less when  Laurie Mcmenemy joined us,

The gates shot up to average over 11,000,

I am not saying that will happen again but if we find the right man,

The gates will be over 4,000 in no time because the stay away fans just want a good reason to return.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
ginnywings
October 2, 2014, 8:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from biggles9999

Depending on whether you count Hurst as being Scott and Hurst, wasnt there a game when we took off I'anson and possibly Southwell early on (first half?)

Was that when kiddy went 3 up in about 20 mins?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
louth_in_the_south
October 2, 2014, 8:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from grimsby pete
The fact is we have played 13 games,

WON 5   DRAWN 4   LOST  4

We are 13th in the league,

Will we get promoted,?

You do the maths, I am going to bed.

Ok GY Pete , I reckon it's time u take a chill pill mate . I'm as up for a change in management as you and the majority are .

BUT .. (to use your style ) ..

We all know we should be doing better but let's give over now till sat 4:50 cos the frenzy needs to calm a bit for everyone's good .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Facts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.