Maringer
October 1, 2014, 11:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Garth

That coming from you is a damming post I agree with what you say regarding our striking force or lack of it,  IMO having had time to think I would twist and take the risk because sticking with  the unpopular Hurst will only escalate a division in the customers which will eventually effect the players.
The place was like a morgue last night with no sound of a Paul Hurst`s Black and White Army, not many sane people will pay to watch that crap

Well, my viewpoint as regards the weakness of the forward options (both strikers and wingers) hasn't really changed throughout the season. I've been saying that we need a couple of players in as we don't have the numbers there and as we've seen, a couple of injuries and we're knackered. Not sure what Hurst is playing at here unless he's simply not been able to find players who are good enough yet still willing to come here on the wages we can offer.

I've defended the status quo in the past month or so because there was way too much hysteria about some poor results when we hadn't really played that badly most of the time (though we've only played particularly well in fits and starts). We should undoubtedly have a few more points on the board than we do now, but being on the wrong side of narrow margins has meant we have lost out.

However, last night was our first really terrible performance of the season and to tell the truth, I can't really remember a home performance as awful as that last season, either. I thought that we didn't have such an inept display in us but I'm very disappointed in most of the players.

We've just got to somehow start grinding the results out again as we had done in the 3 games prior to last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Abdul19
October 1, 2014, 12:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Maringer
Truth be told, after sleeping on it, I'm more concerned about the season than I was last night. This doesn't change my view that swapping managers willy-nilly during the season is a bad idea. I still remember that when Groves was sacked we were a few points above the relegation spots and Nicky Law duly showed what can happen when a new manager is brought in.

Sacking Groves worked, it was the bringing Law in bit that let that down!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I seem to recall that Groves' points/game ratio would have been good enough to keep us up, wouldn't it, if they had continued?

Obviously, the brief Cockerill caretaker reign was fantastic but then Nicky "Fecking" Law managed something ridiculous like 12 points from 13 games. Shocking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
jonnyboy82
October 1, 2014, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Truth be told I just don't think fenty has the balls to sack him..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
DocTower
October 1, 2014, 1:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Like everyone is sayng , not one player stood out , going through the motions . I went by myself last night as my other 2 colleagues we out of town  . Just the basics , passing and controlling making yourself available missing from our game .. We hear that there's a good team spirit , but has the manager lost the dressing room . Why isn't Doig on the touch line , why persist with a front line that has never really worked .

I pay my money but I'm not being entertained , the nights are drawing in , and it will soon be getting colder . Decisions will be made soon if it's worth while me sitting freezing my nuts off to watch that. .

Chester let us play , I said to my son I thought  it flattered us . Have I been proved right ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
louth_in_the_south
October 1, 2014, 1:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Hurst keeps going on about being unlucky . You make you're own luck mate by picking strikers who miss fooking sitters every game

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
October 1, 2014, 1:23pm
Guest User
I'm a natural 'sticker' because I think a manager should be given the season to bed in a number of decent/good signings.

Have some feeling for a 'twist' because I think the squad is good enough (and have demonstrated this on occasions) but
another manager with a different approach could get more out of them. Though I don't much care for the guy, a Neil Warnock
type might get this side bubbling and believing.

I have no idea who - at this level - that person might be, and until an alternative exists JF won't (and shouldn't) sack PH.
Reply: 26 - 33
jungleland
October 1, 2014, 1:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +121
Quoted from grimsby pete
I do not think Hurst will get us out of this league,

He can not get the players to play consistently from one game to another,

One game we are good the next awful .

Sorry Paul, you have got to go.

That for me is the question will he get us out of this league .. To my mind not a chance in hell .. He can't pick a team can't motivate the players   So he will have to be sacked in the end   might as well do it now and see if if someone can salvage the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
FishOutOfWater
October 1, 2014, 2:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Maringer
I seem to recall that Groves' points/game ratio would have been good enough to keep us up, wouldn't it, if they had continued?

Obviously, the brief Cockerill caretaker reign was fantastic but then Nicky "Fecking" Law managed something ridiculous like 12 points from 13 games. Shocking.

If I recall correctly the caretaker when Groves left was Graham Rodgers and not Cockers

His caretaker role was a lot earlier than that...when Buckley left maybe,  before Brian Laws came to us my memory tells me?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 33
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

If I recall correctly the caretaker when Groves left was Graham Rodgers and not Cockers

His caretaker role was a lot earlier than that...when Buckley left maybe,  before Brian Laws came to us my memory tells me?

Ah, right. They do all tend to blur into one. I know that whoever took charge for those few games did a good job which Law and his useless signings promptly unravelled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick or Twist

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.