Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 308 Guests

Just back

This thread currently has 7,431 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
October 1, 2014, 12:11am
Guest User
I noticed on RH there was a contributor who said Southport had played well in the 2nd half in their recent 1-0 defeat.
Had our effort not been cleared off the line and we'd have won 1-0, I wonder what the mood would have been...
Not saying we played well tonight by any means but equally it's hard to play well when teams have a gameplan of making life tough.
Once you get the first goal, opponents "open up", we score more goals and it's apparently "easy" etc.

Reply: 40 - 63
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 1, 2014, 12:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from 120797

I don't think Dover and Southport will go down.
I'm not excusing the issues tonight but until we realise
a) teams make it difficult for us at BP (defensive opposition + poor performance = co-incidence ?)
b) this league is full of suprise results where anyone can beat anybody

we'll always be jumping to histerics on the basis of "league position" (regardless of manager IMO)

What people perhaps forget is we've beaten and got results against the better teams.
Bristol Rovers, Gateshead, Halifax, Kiddy
Suffice to say "league position" is such a bad indicator as to not be worth using in the BSP IMO.

If you're suggesting Southport looked like a bottom 4 side tonight Chris, I'd seriously question whether you were even at the game.
That said, it's interesting people are saying Magnay did well and Mackreth didn't - I see it completely the opposite way.

How you can question if Big Chris was at the game after suggesting Mckreth was your MOM is absolutely  unbelievable, your other options Nsiala and Pearson and Magnay was poor, are you for real?

Every close season fans build up our signings only for reality to kick in, is Nsiala really any better than Macdonald, is Mckreth really an improvement on Colbeck? brown is an improvement on Kerr but certainly lacks some consistency. We miss Thomas getting beyond their defence and getting his crosses in and with Magnay switched to the right this may increase our attacking threat.

The two centre halves in possession are simply awful, Southport just let them have the ball and used the time to funnell back and get their shape. Nsiala and Pearson dither about with no confidence and after some incredibly disorganised passing between themselves normally hoof it long and possession is lost.

Parslow incredibly poor tonight and two games in four days may have been too much. Whilst we offer no threat from our front two I have to concede they got little service tonight but equally movement is not great.

I said after the Kiddie game that Hurst is suited to away games where we can grind out results once the onus is on us to attack his approach is flawed. Yes players let him down but a proactive manager would have tried to change our approach as Southport flooded the midfield and won every second ball.

We were truly shocking tonight and any doubts I had about PH are definately removed for me and I want a change otherwise the season ticket can gather dust.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
arryarryarry
October 1, 2014, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from cmackenzie4
We will not get out of this league with LJL and Hannah up front.

That is exactly what I said on leaving the ground.

And Hurst should tell Hannah to stop taking free kicks because these past few games they have been crap.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 12:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
Has Hannah ever scored a free-kick for us? Can't remember one myself.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
arryarryarry
October 1, 2014, 12:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

How you can question if Big Chris was at the game after suggesting Mckreth was your MOM is absolutely  unbelievable, your other options Nsiala and Pearson and Magnay was poor, are you for real?

Every close season fans build up our signings only for reality to kick in, is Nsiala really any better than Macdonald, is Mckreth really an improvement on Colbeck? brown is an improvement on Kerr but certainly lacks some consistency. We miss Thomas getting beyond their defence and getting his crosses in and with Magnay switched to the right this may increase our attacking threat.

The two centre halves in possession are simply awful, Southport just let them have the ball and used the time to funnell back and get their shape. Nsiala and Pearson dither about with no confidence and after some incredibly disorganised passing between themselves normally hoof it long and possession is lost.

Parslow incredibly poor tonight and two games in four days may have been too much. Whilst we offer no threat from our front two I have to concede they got little service tonight but equally movement is not great.

I said after the Kiddie game that Hurst is suited to away games where we can grind out results once the onus is on us to attack his approach is flawed. Yes players let him down but a proactive manager would have tried to change our approach as Southport flooded the midfield and won every second ball.

We were truly shocking tonight and any doubts I had about PH are definately removed for me and I want a change otherwise the season ticket can gather dust.

Couldn't agree more, McKreth apart from I think one run and a late shot was no better than Colbeck used to do and hasn't been all season so far, even Colbeck used to have the odd good game.

Also agree about Toto he played one ball tonight and I don't think anyone in the ground knew what the frig he was doing and this seems to be just about every game.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
October 1, 2014, 1:07am
Guest User

I'm saying if anyone thinks Southport looked like a bottom 4 side tonight, they must have watching a different game.

I thought Nsiala was winning almost everything in the air, I thought Shaun did a good job.
I thought Magnay was poor (was that a typo ?)
But it's all about opinions...

Every close season fans build up our signings only for reality to kick in, is Nsiala really any better than Macdonald, is Mckreth really an improvement on Colbeck?

Good question !
I suggest you take it up with them cos I haven't been saying it's any better.
People are having a go at Mackreth for not running enough but I thought he was one of the few who didn't give the ball away cheaply.

brown is an improvement on Kerr  but certainly lacks some consistency.

I thought he was poor tonight personally.
The fact he gets a round of applause for winning the ball back after giving it away cheaply doesn't persuade me to join in the congratulations.
I'm starting to wonder if he's all he's cracked up to be.

We miss Thomas getting beyond their defence and getting his crosses in and with Magnay switched to the right this may increase our attacking threat.

Once Magnay starts finding the net instead of wasting every promising position, I'll agree with you.
Magnay is a good defender but nowhere near as useful going forward as Thomas IMO

Well that's defenders for you...

I said after the Kiddie game that Hurst is suited to away games where we can grind out results once the onus is on us to attack his approach is flawed.

Fair points.

Yes players let him down but a proactive manager would have tried to change our approach as Southport flooded the midfield and won every second ball.

Out of interest, what would you have done ?
Perhaps these things are best addressed on the training pitch (and in the transfer market), I just think Southport deserve some credit too.
Reply: 45 - 63
Abdul19
October 1, 2014, 1:11am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not sure he's managed to get one on target.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
October 1, 2014, 1:11am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

Scored one in a "Town XI" game this season.
Reply: 47 - 63
fiveallive
October 1, 2014, 1:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
What can i say a awful performance that's 3 times this season we have played like that against Nuneaton, Dover and Southport at home. I'm sick and tired of the chipped aimless balls to nobody up front with the strikers having no chance to get them made Clayton McDonald's night so easy we know his movements not great so we keep on the ground and get Hannah to turn him none of that. A very lethargic static performance no idea no passion, where to passive at home and let the opposition in to the game they came out of the blocks fast.

Where a disjointed team we have Jack Mackreth he can divide opinion both ways he does pass back in to centre mid a lot doesn't take his man on where Alex Rodman did last season but that's a different story, what Mackreth does well is he gets in to space very quickly he made a few runs like he just runs in to a empty space but no players see's the space to put him in to which can be frustrating to watch because if they picked him out he would be through. He made a couple of  decent runs but expect a lot more from the pacy winger.

Evey team in lower half comes here and knows to pack the midfield and keep it compact and get at us and your guaranteed at least a point. I'm sick of excuses excuses from the manager and players tonight it was Richards Brodie was offside he might have been offside but the goal was given we wouldn't be complaining if it was Hannah scoring a goal that was offside it works both ways. He made excuses about injuries early on in the season now its a offside goal.

Listening to the radio at the end of the match getting boring its all LJL bashing yeah he had a couple of chances one in the first half where he it straight at the goalkeeper and the second effort in the 2nd half which he screwed wide we didn't create many chances and never get many crosses in the box, there is talk about going in to the loan market for a winger  but bringing in a player also can make out team more disjointed.

The whole team not up to par apart from Carl Magnay he was the stand out player. We can be very poor at home he said we had a bad game tonight but we had a bad game against Kidderminster lucky to win awful against Torquay, Nuneaton, Dover and now Southport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
October 1, 2014, 2:28am
Guest User
Quoted from fiveallive
what Mackreth does well is he gets in to space very quickly he made a few runs like he just runs in to a empty space but no players see's the space to put him in to which can be frustrating to watch because if they picked him out he would be through.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant about him + other players not feeding the ball into space.

Quoted from fiveallive
Evey team in lower half comes here and knows to pack the midfield and keep it compact and get at us and your guaranteed at least a point. I'm sick of excuses excuses from the manager and players tonight it was Richards Brodie was offside he might have been offside but the goal was given we wouldn't be complaining if it was Hannah scoring a goal that was offside it works both ways. He made excuses about injuries early on in the season now its a offside goal.

Well let's not quibble too much over the 1 point, let's look at why we didn't get the 3.
We lacked ideas (and players) to unlock them IMO.
Injuries and bad luck v Dover and Nuneaton perhaps, but struggling to unlock the (so called) lesser sides has been the common theme this season.
Can Hurst find solutions cos that's what it boils down to...
If so, I'd say there's every reason to at least believe we can get promotion.

Quoted from fiveallive
Listening to the radio at the end of the match getting boring its all LJL bashing yeah he had a couple of chances one in the first half where he it straight at the goalkeeper and the second effort in the 2nd half which he screwed wide we didn't create many chances and never get many crosses in the box, there is talk about going in to the loan market for a winger  but bringing in a player also can make out team more disjointed.

Well put it this way, I don't think Neilson is a left winger... (and didn't think it before tonight either)
I think we need some serious thought as to what the ideal team would look like cos Neilson obviously has an important role to play.
Off the top of my head I'm thinking 3-4-1-2 or 4-4-1-1
But it needs some serious thought IMO and I'm in no mood to get out the pen and paper...
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.