This thread currently has 6,613 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner4life
September 26, 2014, 8:48pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -3
One thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread is could we afford a D.J Campbell or a Holman? Even on loan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
September 26, 2014, 10:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He'll need a different striker every game then  

Would you agree it is beneficial for a team to have a plan B?

Would you agree it is beneficial for a club to build a system of play and then recruit players that fit this system? Like what mourinho has done at Chelsea. Mata... Player of the year sold
As he doesn't fit
The system.

Holman may not fit the system. And if we wanna play a plan B we already have Hannah capable of that job. Money best spent elsewhere?
Reply: 41 - 63
RichMariner
September 27, 2014, 12:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
We have very little choice other than to trust the manager on things like this.

What I will say is that, while having three good strikers is a nice problem to have, Hurst hasn't shown he can effectively manage this situation. Last season especially his rotation policy didn't get the best out of Jennings, Cook went flat, Hannah lost confidence and John-Lewis - the least prolific - was the only one who was given starts consistently. I almost forgot about Tounkara too.

I've always said I'm a supporter of Hurst and I really hope he takes us up, but it seems he could have the best quality strikers in this division and still not know how to get the best from them.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
promotion plaice
September 27, 2014, 12:23am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,995
Gold Stars: 193
[quote=992]One thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread is could we afford a D.J Campbell or a Holman? Even on loan? [/qA

According to John money isn't an issue

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
September 27, 2014, 1:21am
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
A little disappointed in Hurst's comments in the paper if I'm honest.

A target man doesn't have to be someone massive who's good in the air. It can just be someone who has half decent body strength who can receive the ball with his back to goal, hold it up and play it to a team-mate.

Hurst seems to describe Oates as someone who can do the latter but says he needs someone who can challenge for the high balls in the air. I have to question the specific need for someone who's big and can challenge in the air. We don't have to play the ball in the air.

Tend to agree but equally, I'm not reading too much into it yet (see point 3 below)

What mainly disappoints me is the interview.

Hurst says "that would be the ideal type of player for us." but why ?
Now maybe he's right, I just want to know the reasons and thinking.
No follow up question.  

Can anyone hazard a guess what the thinking is ?

My theories are...

1) He wants another target man as backup because he doubts LJL can play every game this season.
2) He wants another target man that can score a lot MORE goals than LJL.
3) Maybe it's all a bit of a red herring since Hurst says "They don't have to be in that mould" but he'd like a backup target man in case LJL gets injured
OR it's about "Even if they don't particularly play a certain way, it's easy to put a bigger man on as a 'Plan B' when they're in need of a goal."
Reply: 44 - 63
aldi_01
September 27, 2014, 7:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So this has turned in to a thread in which people can have a dig at PH.

The Jolly to FGR is a no brainer, near his base, no doubt financially a safer bet. Same with DJ Campbell. Fact is, had Hurst brought in someone like Campbell people wouldvd moaned anyway and said he's too old, having one last payday and probably won't be interested in us or even bothered about doing well.

And if people actually believe honest John when he says money is no object then I siggest some open their eyes. Yes it's an indication that the club are prepared to invest etc but how much is still limited, not to mention that we all know fenty likes to put out silly statements from time to time...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
Mariner21
September 27, 2014, 7:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Another thread which has been turned into a dig at hurst!

Well what do you expec??? He's an idiot! Why say that about Holman? Why not sign jolley? Arguably the best player this league has seen since vardy!!!! Ffs   either take the risk and spent that little bit extra or do one, we need a manager who's willing to do that. yet he wants a big fat flipping lump so we can hoof it up all game because he can't coach our squad properly. I'm sorry but it's really drunk me off.

Holman not on his radar lol is he flipping real.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Vance Warner
September 27, 2014, 10:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
This anti Hurst stuff is getting ridiculous now. Over the last few weeks he's been slagged off for signing players on loan and now he's getting the blame for another club at the other side of the country signing someone. It's not like he's signed for Lincoln FFS. I'm neither pro Hurst or anti him but IMO this negativity around the club is a far bigger risk to our season than he is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
Abdul19
September 27, 2014, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
Just wait til the moment on the match thread when Jolley scores for FGR whilst we're still 0-0 at 3:10 this afternoon.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
mariner91
September 27, 2014, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
Completely agree with the post above. It seems like some people are waiting/hoping for him to fail. We've just had two good away results, one of which came after a great performance against a team who had a 100% home record and people seemed disappointed and still slagged him off. After beating Kiddie I saw somebody moaning saying "he needs to start sending out a team to win" or words to that effect. After he'd just won a difficult away game! You couldn't make it up. Added to that is this trend of picking apart every meaningless interview he does. If he came out saying "we'll smash Chester cause we're such a huge club and I won't be at all bothered about their strengths" like some of you seem to want, and we lose, he'll get slaughtered for geeing the opposition up. The man can't win.

I am neither pro or anti Hurst. I realise that he tinkers too much, we still don't seem to have a specific style of play and the striker situation is a huge balls up that could have been easily avoided. But he's a relatively young manager and he's still learning. I'm not sure he can lead us to promotion but I am confident he can get us to the play offs at least. And there have been enough signs to suggest we're better than last season, continued improvement is the main aim for a manager in my eyes. We've got an important 4 games coming up, win them all or at least 3 and we'll be in a much better position. Whatever your take on Hurst, let's have some positivity at BP today for the 90 minutes that the players are out there. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.