Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In The Good Old Days.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 167 Guests

In The Good Old Days.

This thread currently has 3,409 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
DocTower
September 20, 2014, 8:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm not denying that ITV digital had an effect but it's getting to the time where we have to accept that poor management has had a more enduring effect on our current situation.

And who is the ever present who signed these managers ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
friskneymariner
September 20, 2014, 10:01am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Anybody thought what may have happened if we had gone into administration like so many clubs did,would we be in this position now.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
GrimRob
September 20, 2014, 10:22am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from friskneymariner
Anybody thought what may have happened if we had gone into administration like so many clubs did,would we be in this position now.

We could be worse off. Look at some of our fellow-relegated clubs: Rushden, Stockport, Darlington.

We might feel sorry for ourselves but there are plenty worse off than us.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 30
Rick12
September 20, 2014, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Maringer
Yep, it's the Bosman thing. Most players tend to sign one year contracts these days (sometimes with a 'rolling' option), because they can just walk away at the end of it regardless. Very few players are considered vital enough to be tied down on longer contracts, unless they are cheaper youngsters.

I think that the real top international players are the only ones who get tied down into long contracts so the clubs can get some value for the vast transfer fees paid.

A bit of a shambles all around really. I think the idea that a settled team can improve year on year is probably true but it's a bit of a crap shoot at this level with so many players moving on each season. No continuity at all.
Like you think the same eg continuity is key but amongst players there is probably very little loyalty now. Players will do whats best for them and their families and if good enough will go where the money is.Like others have said on here though  the only loyalty comes from fans who are the heartbeat of the club and stick with the club through thick and thin

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
rancido
September 20, 2014, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
The point about our situation is that committing the club to a longer contract for a player that, although capable of getting us promoted, might not be good enough in League 2 could prove costly. We are in the situation that promotion is an absolute must in the very short term. If we were in League 2 then we good consolidate our position with players of that level for 2 or 3 seasons therefore longer contracts would make more sense.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 20, 2014, 4:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Unless mentioned, read buckleys book. Says exactly the same about coming back (mk III) about how times changed in football and how a settled squad couldn't be developed. Great read in my opinion. Also very good points about the way 1 year contracts hamper us is by players not living in the local area so meant a lot of players commuting huge distances.

If you haven't read them, I suggest you get macca's, buckleys and chris Hargreaves' books.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2014, 6:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
On the plus side, at least we're not giving out 3 year contracts to the likes of Hegarty anymore!

I'd be happy with someone of Hegarty's quality over recent years. He had a good rate of assists. And always tried in a team of often half-arses players.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
grimsby pete
September 20, 2014, 9:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Abdul19
On the plus side, at least we're not giving out 3 year contracts to the likes of Hegarty anymore!

When you back at the times we did give out 3 year contracts it does not seem to work,

Newell gave Jones 3 years,

Woods gave one to the wrong player  

S + H gave Hearn a 3 year contract but only fit for one of them

As long as all these one year deals have an option of a second year they are probably the right way to go,

As long as they offer the ones we want to keep another contract before the old one runs out.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Abdul19
September 20, 2014, 10:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I'd be happy with someone of Hegarty's quality over recent years. He had a good rate of assists. And always tried in a team of often half-arses players.

Yeah that's true, but I don't think not trying is something that could be said about the recent sides. I suppose he maybe had marginally more quality than Joe Colbeck.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
September 20, 2014, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GrimRob

We could be worse off. Look at some of our fellow-relegated clubs: Rushden, Stockport, Darlington.

We might feel sorry for ourselves but there are plenty worse off than us.

Well if the club as a whole has this attitude no wonder we are still down among the dead men.

And just look at those clubs with a plan, the brains, the will, the infrastructure, the desire and the ability to spend enough money in the areas that matter.

I watched Bournemouth play Watford on the box today. Remember when fenty was carried shoulder high that day at Dean Court as we managed to avoid the drop to non league?

Bournemouth were fighting to avoid the drop as well, and as it happened we were both safe.

Now look at the fortunes of the 2 clubs since. We learned no lessons whatsoever and went into non league the very next season. Little Bournemouth obviously made all the right choices and have gone from strength to strength - some of the players they had playing for them today were quite big names and I am not sure how they have done it. Is it just money, or have they looked at the way the club is structured / run and have hit on a winning formula?

We on the other hand continue to stutter along - our only answer being "well it could be worse"

But it could/ should be so much better.  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In The Good Old Days.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.