2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
September 14, 2014, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I beleive we have a good enough squad here for promotion,thing is we r just not utilising n getting the best out of them and that is surely the managements fault.we need someone to come in with there own backroom staff n fire us back into the league playing football the right way attacking and on the floor.

Whilst I despair at some of his team selections, continually making mistakes at the back and missing relatively easy chances are down to the players not being good enough, something I have been saying since the pre-season friendlies but I was continually "red crossed" for these comments.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
hook line and sinker
September 14, 2014, 2:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst I despair at some of his team selections, continually making mistakes at the back and missing relatively easy chances are down to the players not being good enough, something I have been saying since the pre-season friendlies but I was continually "red crossed" for these comments.

regarding the forwards not scoring i agree.us the fans knew last seasons problems was not having that man to naturally put the ball in the net. It should of been our first and main priority to sign or buy someone to do this but we didnt we left it till the final few weeks of pre season and signed a player on a free transfer (to me it doesnt really fill me with of confidence for the season to come) having known this was the position that needs the boat pushing out for. As it turns out pittman seems a good player and its a shame he got injured yesterday but i still dont think he is the one who was going to lead the line and be top of the goalscoring charts come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 14, 2014, 2:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Phew! Where to start......

If we are not to end up like the Darlingtons and Stockports of this world then we need to get a grip on our finances. I and I suspect many others do not want to be on the continual tightrope of being dependent on one man for the financial security of this club. The budget for this season once you factor in that we are no longer paying for Hearn's contract is very little different to last years. I find it impossible to reconcile your statements accepting that we have to rein ourselves in and then saying if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I have no idea what constitutes a decent wage in our league but I'd have thought the wages are better than most of the other teams we come up against with possibly the exception of FGR and quite frankly I wouldn't want to see us go down the route they have allegedly taken.
I'd argue that one of the reasons that we are where we are financially is that in the past we gave long contracts to players who were not worthy of them-some as long as 3/4 years. One year contracts are a fact of life in the lower reaches of professional football. We benefit when players we want to sign are out of contract at their previous club. That is how it is.
As for the depth of squad-only a well off Premiership club could cope with the number of injuries we have at the moment. JPP may well have been a gamble but I'd argue-up to now it's one worth taking as he looks a different class when fit.

I agree that sacking him would do no good at the moment

All this stuff about finances for players is irrelevant to the position of the club. The side is in mid-table and likely to slide a bit further down this week. Whether the players are on one year or ten year contracts makes no difference whatsoever. A good manager would have them playing their hearts out ....... 1. for the fans who help pay their wages and 2. to get a renewed contract at a club with ambition.

The fact is that we are now heading back where we were last season. Hanging around and waiting to see if we can beg and borrow enough points to squeak into the play-offs, and that is no good. Even a play-off final is no good. The club needs promotion, not cups or trophies or runners up spots. Are we going to get it with the present management? Not a hope, whatever the playing budget.

Sacking PH in the morning would be the single best thing JF could do for all concerned. Otherwise he is condemning the supporters and the club to yet another lingering and disappointing season of lethargy because if he leaves it much longer a new manager couldn't start to do much before Christmas.

But, would JF do it anyway? No he won't. Not until it's too late for this season. Stringing it out as long as possible looks like his number one strategy. For one thing he would have to find somebody who is out of work or (heaven forbid) pay compensation. Plus a manager of the calibre we really need will cost money. That cuts the field down to people of the abilities of erm  ...... Paul Hurst! Or, we have a caretaker until the end of the season and ........... you know the rest.

Ultimately then, the budget issue is not about players, it's about the manager. We have one who was the easy and relatively cheap option but he isn't going to get us where we want to go. We have a (sort of) chairman who won't spend what's needed on another manager but will spend a bit of cash on players who won't actually get us promoted but will probably get enough points to justify keeping the manager we've got until it's late enough in the season to find an unemployed replacement.

In other words we are shafted.

See you on here,  same thread, same time, next year?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
barralad
September 14, 2014, 4:04pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

All this stuff about finances for players is irrelevant to the position of the club. The side is in mid-table and likely to slide a bit further down this week. Whether the players are on one year or ten year contracts makes no difference whatsoever. A good manager would have them playing their hearts out ....... 1. for the fans who help pay their wages and 2. to get a renewed contract at a club with ambition.

The fact is that we are now heading back where we were last season. Hanging around and waiting to see if we can beg and borrow enough points to squeak into the play-offs, and that is no good. Even a play-off final is no good. The club needs promotion, not cups or trophies or runners up spots. Are we going to get it with the present management? Not a hope, whatever the playing budget.

Sacking PH in the morning would be the single best thing JF could do for all concerned. Otherwise he is condemning the supporters and the club to yet another lingering and disappointing season of lethargy because if he leaves it much longer a new manager couldn't start to do much before Christmas.

But, would JF do it anyway? No he won't. Not until it's too late for this season. Stringing it out as long as possible looks like his number one strategy. For one thing he would have to find somebody who is out of work or (heaven forbid) pay compensation. Plus a manager of the calibre we really need will cost money. That cuts the field down to people of the abilities of erm  ...... Paul Hurst! Or, we have a caretaker until the end of the season and ........... you know the rest.

Ultimately then, the budget issue is not about players, it's about the manager. We have one who was the easy and relatively cheap option but he isn't going to get us where we want to go. We have a (sort of) chairman who won't spend what's needed on another manager but will spend a bit of cash on players who won't actually get us promoted but will probably get enough points to justify keeping the manager we've got until it's late enough in the season to find an unemployed replacement.

In other words we are shafted.

See you on here,  same thread, same time, next year?

I wouldn't argue too much with much of that. I would point out however that the part of my post you mention was a direct response to T.C's talk about budget slashed year on year and peanuts/monkeys.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 14, 2014, 4:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

I wouldn't argue too much with much of that. I would point out however that the part of my post you mention was a direct response to T.C's talk about budget slashed year on year and peanuts/monkeys.

Yes I appreciate that, I was just using your post as my starting point for a rant.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
DocTower
September 14, 2014, 6:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from arryarryarry

Frustrates me too , I have got red crosses to regarding my comments , but it's nice to see our constructive criticism is now being accepted and looked upon as a positive .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
ackomariner
September 14, 2014, 7:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Sounds like this is all my fault because I started a thread last January stating that hurst needs to go if we didn't get promoted......well I think it's time for him to go ASAP so a new man can sort the team out and have the transfer window in January and still have a chance at promotion.

I got enough red crosses when I started the thread, so come on , now give me the green ticks  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
TownSNAFU5
September 14, 2014, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
IF PH was sacked tomorrow, would Torquay fans say that it is the curse of losing to Torquay and quote other similar clubs?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
barralad
September 14, 2014, 8:41pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

Yes I appreciate that, I was just using your post as my starting point for a rant.

Pax....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A night to think about it

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.