4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
maxfox44
September 12, 2014, 1:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Amazing how things work out really isn't it, my biggest concern for Saturday is whether Clay will be fit or not.

Made me chuckle!  At pre-season, I didn't even think he looked like a footballer.  Now he looks third or fourth on the teamsheet!

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
diehardmariner
September 12, 2014, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,389
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Maringer
It's not tinkering if you have to make changes due to injuries!

With everyone fit, I'd expect to see the following formation:

McKeown
Bignot  Nsiala  Pearson  Magnay
Neilson  Clay  Brown  McLaughlin
             LJL  Pittman

If Pearson and Clay aren't fit, we'll see Doig and Disley coming in, I'd have thought.

Alternatively, perhaps McLaughlin (or Disley) in for Clay with either Mackreth or Arnold coming in on one of the wings.

If Pearson isn't fully fit, I'd rest him to allow a bit more time to recuperate. Doig is a capable defender as long as he's not playing week-in, week-out.

100% in agreement with this.
The 11 listed, in that formation, is our best line-up in my opinion, where possible we need to avoid deviating from it.   I feel for Paddy McLaughlin having to play out on the left but he's doing a great job out there, reminds me of when Frankie Artus was given that role during the unbeaten streak we went on three seasons back.  Quiet and largely unspectacular but does a great job for the team.   Also it gives us the option of switching to 4-3-3/4-5-1 when needed (Neilson pushing further forward).

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
Maringer
September 12, 2014, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
When properly fit, I'd actually prefer to see Arnold in the team rather than us playing 3 central midfielders though Paddy is doing a decent job out there at the moment.

Unfortunately, I don't think a partnership of Brown and McLaughlin has the aerial strength to make it as a central pairing. We'll generally need either Disley or Clay in the middle to win some headers though if injuries dictated a Brown/McLaughlin combination, I'm sure they would do OK. It is nice that, for the first time in years, we've got a bit of a conundrum with which central midfielders to play!

Just need to see Arnold and Mackreth pushing to get into the team now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
nightrider
September 12, 2014, 7:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Mackreth was a great player. Then he signed for town.
Must be one of the quickest players in the league if not the quickest.
He needs a good run in the team, similar to another player last season.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
samg
September 12, 2014, 8:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Peeler_Crab

Me too 😏

Same on my windows phone and its pissing me of too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
jimgtfc
September 12, 2014, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,073
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from nightrider
Mackreth was a great player. Then he signed for town.
Must be one of the quickest players in the league if not the quickest.
He needs a good run in the team, similar to another player last season.

Tbh I don't think he's as quick as people think, he's just got little legs that move fast. If you actually look at the ground he covers in a sprint it's not that much. A little bit like when Darryl Clare was breaking through here, everyone said how fast he was but he wasn't.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
jimgtfc
September 12, 2014, 8:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,073
Gold Stars: 44
I think he'll go with...

McKeown

Bignot
Nsiala
Pearson
Magnay

Neilson
Brown
Disley
McLaughlin

Pittman
John Lewis

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
TAGG
September 12, 2014, 8:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,973
Gold Stars: 123
Most have put Bignot in there side. Did they go to Lincoln???????
Wouldn't even have the bloke on the bench.
What people also have to remember is that Bignot was kept out of the side last season by Sam Hatton FFS    

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
chaos33
September 12, 2014, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from diehardmariner

100% in agreement with this.
The 11 listed, in that formation, is our best line-up in my opinion, where possible we need to avoid deviating from it.   I feel for Paddy McLaughlin having to play out on the left but he's doing a great job out there, reminds me of when Frankie Artus was given that role during the unbeaten streak we went on three seasons back.  Quiet and largely unspectacular but does a great job for the team.   Also it gives us the option of switching to 4-3-3/4-5-1 when needed (Neilson pushing further forward).

Yeah agree too.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
chaos33
September 12, 2014, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Sorry not relevant to this thread but the fishy has for some reason gone narrow on my iPhone if u know what I mean and it's urine.ing me off . Any techies got any idea what I can do to reformat it or whatever it's called ?!

Me too. I'm not happy with it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Starting eleven for Torquay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.