Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby 1 - 5 West Ham (1981) - did anyone go?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 419 Guests

Grimsby 1 - 5 West Ham (1981) - did anyone go?

This thread currently has 10,096 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
September 5, 2014, 12:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
That incident at Orient, where a Town fan jumped out of the bus & attacked a family in a car, it was a lad by the name of Mad Miff from the Scaffa lot.

It hit all the headlines at the time, he did time for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 98
FishOutOfWater
September 5, 2014, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mimma
That incident at Orient, where a Town fan jumped out of the bus & attacked a family in a car, it was a lad by the name of Mad Miff from the Scaffa lot.

It hit all the headlines at the time, he did time for it.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing when this happened

I was driving two cars behind the coach when the lad jumped out and started on the guy driving the car in front of us

He really laid in to him, beating him around the head really aggressively and at that point some of his family got out of the car too and started trying to defend the dad

If I recall correctly the man attacked was called Oswald (?) - you're right about it being front page news too

The Sun made out there was some kind of mass attack by Town fans and had a headline as I recall it something like "They even attacked my daughter" whereas in reality it was just the one lad who lost it big time

He was lucky he didn't really do more harm to the poor old bloke than bash him about a bit...could have been up for manslaughter if the bus hadn't pulled off which meant he had to leg it (or become stranded in the East End to face the wrath of the locals!)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 98
mimma
September 5, 2014, 12:54am
Brandy Drinker
I've been talking about the old Scaffa lads in the pub, & in particular Mad Miff.

He was an absolute nutcase who could be talked into doing anything "for a laugh"

We was wandering what happened to him, he's gone off the radar.

Does anyone know what became of him, we would be interested to know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 98
grimps
September 5, 2014, 6:55am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from mimma
I've been talking about the old Scaffa lads in the pub, & in particular Mad Miff.

He was an absolute nutcase who could be talked into doing anything "for a laugh"

We was wandering what happened to him, he's gone off the radar.

Does anyone know what became of him, we would be interested to know.

The lad with the hammer was called 'Doc'
Miff is still about and actually did do time for manslaughter at what point, I always see Miffy on his bike or jogging now and he seems to have turned into a bit of a fitness fanatic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 98
mimma
September 5, 2014, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Thanks for that grimps, my mate knew him well, he'll be pleased to hear that he is well.

I always thought that it was Miff that did it.

Apologies to Miff if you read this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 98
grimsby pete
September 5, 2014, 4:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
My wife and I attended the West Ham game,

I remember it was pouring down with rain and there was a late pitch inspection,

We only let In 10 goals that season at home and West Ham got 5 of them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 98
Madeleymariner
September 5, 2014, 5:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
I would of been there, never missed a home match in those days, but have no recollection of it at all, is that just me getting old or my mind filtering bad things
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 98
Mrs Doyle
September 5, 2014, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Yeah remember it well that was the year we had a great chance to make the big time but needed a couple of decent players for that final push injuries and tiredness cost us dear. That was a defining moment for both teams with extremely different fates.................................if only those in charge had been a bit braver how different things could have been, story of our history in a nut shell.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 98
KingstonMariner
September 6, 2014, 6:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If we'd had that final push then - and I seem to remember it was during that sort of time there was a proposal to have a mass share issue to fans - we'd have probably ended up like a Watford type club.  A few seasons in the top flight when it was still feasible for small clubs to become established up there, and then latterly the odd season or flirtation with promotion, and the odd season in the 3rd.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 98
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 6, 2014, 8:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Yeah remember it well that was the year we had a great chance to make the big time but needed a couple of decent players for that final push injuries and tiredness cost us dear. That was a defining moment for both teams with extremely different fates.................................if only those in charge had been a bit braver how different things could have been, story of our history in a nut shell.    

Yes squads were relatively small in those days. Injury to Bobby C cost us dear. The following year saw us not do so well and George Kerr was sacked midway then the year after saw us start to sign more quality players. Some of the promotion winners like Mitchell and Waters got older. Andy Peak from Leicester, Chris Nicholl and Paul Emson coming back were good signings, but 90K on a Watford striker didn't work out so well! Losing Kev Moore was a big blow though. A great pity Andy Moore didn't fulfil his promise and replace him as many thought he was potentially the best player of the 3 brothers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby 1 - 5 West Ham (1981) - did anyone go?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.