Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby 1 - 5 West Ham (1981) - did anyone go?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

Grimsby 1 - 5 West Ham (1981) - did anyone go?

This thread currently has 10,071 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
September 4, 2014, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
That season was phenomenal. We carried on our unbeaten record from the old 3rd division and ended up with an unbeaten run of about 21 games, before we lost away at Leyton Orient.

By mid November we were flirting with relegation again, and when we lost 2-1 at the previously mentioned away game at Upton Park think we may have dropped into the bottom 3 - but it was always a false position. Trevor Whymark was signed shortly afterwards and we went on an amazing run that shot us up the table faster than a ferret up a drainpipe. We suffered only another 2 defeats in the next 20 odd games before going away to QPR in 3rd place and automatic promotion a real possibility, but unfortunately lost 1-0 (did Gerry Francis get the goal?) There were about 2,500 to 3,000 Town fans at Loftus Road that day, and it was a massive disappointment from which we never recovered, only winning one out of our last 7 games.

The West Ham game was memorable for the fact that we were still in it at 2-1 with about 15 minutes to go. Huge West Ham following on the day, and a fair few "tasty" incidents down the Prom beforehand. I remember walking from my house round the corner to Isaac's Hill to get the bus down to BP and seeing a huge mob of West Ham giving it large down the hill with everybody (sensibly) giving them a very wide berth. Can't remember whether it was the game against West Ham or Chelsea that season when one of the mobs hijacked a milk float near Isaac's Hill and started throwing the milk bottles at all and sundry. Hard as nails, eh?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
Richard
September 4, 2014, 4:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +59
i was in pontoon,  wet spam were a different class  this was an amazing season on top of the previous two promotions  very good times to be a marriner i cant wait till the good times start to roll again  

everywhere we go ,everywhere we go
its the grimsby boys makin all the noise

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
jock dock tower
September 4, 2014, 5:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It's amazing now to think of those days - regular crowds into 5 figures, superb away days with the travelling Town fans often in excess of 1,000 (as they were in 1971-2, now THAT was a season) and mixing it with the big boys on an equal basis. I think I'm right in saying that with 7 seasons in the 2nd flight we had a longer unbroken run than any other club? An established nearly top flight club, and we could easily have gone up from the play offs in the 1983-4 season when we finished 5th (including another great unbeaten run of 16 games, only to fall away at the last again) That season we defeated the likes of Leeds, Derby, Chelsea (away) Sheffield Wednesday and Newcastle. We were a f*cking great team then, fearing nobody.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 4, 2014, 6:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It was a great season. The side was exceptional. Most of the spadework was done by Tom Casey's faith in youth John Newman's nous. When George Kerr took over he had the sense to leave well alone and just tinkered a bit. Wymark was a great addition and Dave Booth signing Chris Nicholl was a bit of underrated genius. It was a pity that the only way some great Town players in this side got to play in the top league was by leaving the club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
codcheeky
September 4, 2014, 6:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from jock dock tower
That season was phenomenal. We carried on our unbeaten record from the old 3rd division and ended up with an unbeaten run of about 21 games, before we lost away at Leyton Orient.

By mid November we were flirting with relegation again, and when we lost 2-1 at the previously mentioned away game at Upton Park think we may have dropped into the bottom 3 - but it was always a false position. Trevor Whymark was signed shortly afterwards and we went on an amazing run that shot us up the table faster than a ferret up a drainpipe. We suffered only another 2 defeats in the next 20 odd games before going away to QPR in 3rd place and automatic promotion a real possibility, but unfortunately lost 1-0 (did Gerry Francis get the goal?) There were about 2,500 to 3,000 Town fans at Loftus Road that day, and it was a massive disappointment from which we never recovered, only winning one out of our last 7 games.

The West Ham game was memorable for the fact that we were still in it at 2-1 with about 15 minutes to go. Huge West Ham following on the day, and a fair few "tasty" incidents down the Prom beforehand. I remember walking from my house round the corner to Isaac's Hill to get the bus down to BP and seeing a huge mob of West Ham giving it large down the hill with everybody (sensibly) giving them a very wide berth. Can't remember whether it was the game against West Ham or Chelsea that season when one of the mobs hijacked a milk float near Isaac's Hill and started throwing the milk bottles at all and sundry. Hard as nails, eh?

I remember going to this, it took forever to get home, someone jumped out the emergency door at theback of a coach and smashed a car up with a hammer and the police had us all parked in a layby for ages
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
codcheeky
September 4, 2014, 6:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from jock dock tower

I remember going to this, it took forever to get home, someone jumped out the emergency door at the back of a coach and smashed a car up with a hammer and the police had us all parked in a layby for ages
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
Teestogreen
September 4, 2014, 6:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from pizzzza

A young Frank Lampard played for them as well it seems.

Frank Lampard senior may be?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
Les Brechin
September 4, 2014, 7:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Teestogreen

Frank Lampard senior may be?

You've caught one Pizzzza.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
Zmariner
September 4, 2014, 7:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Went home and away with my brother. Was shocked at aggression of West Ham fans after we had lost and put me off going there again for a long while
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
September 4, 2014, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,657
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Les Brechin
That was a great season for Town (until that game). We didn't start the season that well put from November/December time we went on a great run and at one time we could have been the first team to go from Division 4 to Division 1 in consecutive seasons, a feat which has still never been achieved and more than likely never will. We weren't overly high scorers but we had a hell of a defence.

We dropped away after the West Ham game and only won 1 of our last 7 games. Still, I think we finished 6th or 7th and only missed out on the top three by 4 or 5 points I think. There were no play-offs back then so it was always the top 3 who were promoted.

Didn't Northampton go from Division 4 to the top flight and then back again in consecutive seasons?

I am not certain of it but in my mind I see a blond centre forward (was it Frank Large) scoring all the goals. At least he did on the Anglian TV highlights!
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby 1 - 5 West Ham (1981) - did anyone go?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.