Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A time for reflection?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 129 Guests

A time for reflection?

This thread currently has 2,026 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Sconeboy
My opinion is I honestly do not know what is going to happen. Nobody does and nobody will until the end of the season. Thats the beauty of football at this level. Will we win the league? Its possible, if the results go our way and we do our bit then it could happen. We know that this team can beat any of the remaning sides we have to play on our day, wether we will or not is another matter. In the event that we fall short, then the lottery of the playoffs it is.  Once in the playoffs we can't possibly guess whats going to happen. If last night proved anything to me then it was that one second of slack marking or one brilliant strike or move and thats it, game over.  The same rule applies in our favour and between now and the end of the season anything can happen.

So to those making predictions as to what will happen, you can't possibly know so just wait and see and hope for the best.  

Its squeaky bum time I'm afraid!

Spot on Sconeboy

As the song goes...

We'll have to wait and see; Que sera sera...♫♫♫
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 21
Badger57
March 13, 2013, 4:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,922
Gold Stars: 30
I was feeling a lot more relaxed this morning than I have been for a few weeks. I just didn't think we were good enough to win the league but I was HOPING we might still somehow do it. But now I've given up on the title but not on promotion via the play offs. Barring a complete slump which I can't see, we are definitely in the playoffs and I can already "see" The Hitman scoring the winner at Wembley!The script is already written people!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Southwark Mariner
March 13, 2013, 5:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
all these teams have spent weeks beneath us and it's not too late for us to be back at the top again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
AdamHaddock
March 13, 2013, 6:15pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,846
Gold Stars: 26
In two months we've gone from looking like we could run away with the title to now being uncertain of even a top five finish. Yes Kiddy and Mansfield are good sides, yes one of them will finish the top and the other favourites to win the play offs. But for the wins to dry up the way they have when previously we've done well against our promotion rivals is hard to fathom. It's not all down the loss of Pond and more recently Niven/Pearson is it?

I think this is where Scott and Hurst need to earn their dough. They need to get in these players' heads, find out what's wrong and snap them out of it before the mardy, miserable minority at BP really have an excuse to open their mouths.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
chaos33
March 13, 2013, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,988
Gold Stars: 361
I would say that it's important that we don't show weakness to rivals. Players, staff and supporters. On paper, it looks tough, but in reality its still wide open with plenty of games to play. If some people believe that it's 'over' and we can't win the title/gain promotion, it's better for our cause that they don't show it. We have to keep supporting the players and applying ourselves with confidence. There is still an awful lot to play for.

Despondancy can pass quickly. Let it go I say. If this campaign were a boxing bout, we have just been struck by two heavy blows and our legs have buckled but we fight on after a drink and a sponge down. Now is the time to hit back, and hit back hard. We are not beaten are we?

Yes we have weaknesses, yes we have selection-related questions, yes we have players out of form, and yes we have injuries but that can all change quickly. Don't kid yourself that other teams don't have problems too. I really do believe that we will win our next two games and it will all look a little different then. There is still everything to play for, so we need to stick our chest out, remain defiant and confident and bite back. The players need us and we have to back them. If we act like it's over, it is.

Come on!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 8:30pm
Guest User
I agree with Sconeboy and chaos.

Comments like "we can still pull the season around even with another couple of poor results in the short term." may be a good point but I think it sends out totally the wrong message.

Think the trouble is people have concerns and it's tough to know if they're justified or whether it's an over-reaction of worry creating a problem where there isn't one.

Adam says
"But for the wins to dry up the way they have when previously we've done well against our promotion rivals is hard to fathom."

But surely we've just got to accept it's a game of fine margins, results don't go in straight lines and we just got unlucky last night ?
Or am I wrong ?

I just don't understand the point of these pro-playoffs threads saying how difficult the title is.
Obviously it's gonna be difficult - doesn't take Einstein to work that one out !  

But what IS the point ? What are we meant to do anyway ?

What does "A time for reflection ?" actually mean ?
Pointlessly worrying about things to the tune of lowering expectations so we can do our best to fearfully struggle at snailpace towards the finish line ?
No thanks !

Why can't we just stay positive and see where it takes us ?
At least for now ?
3pts clear and 3 games in hand, signs of a return to form and FGR play Mansfield on Friday.

tbh it wouldn't suprise me if some prefer the playoff route for the financial benefits of another Wembley trip.
If that's true, think it's silly to WANT to risk trying to negotiate a playoff semi first.

I just think fans would be better off putting their energies into positive ways (e.g. organizing fervent support for Sat) than wasting their time worrying who might be to blame if it all goes wrong or creating problems that don't seem to exist yet.
Reply: 15 - 21
Squidgy Fred
March 13, 2013, 8:32pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +44
Hey! She aint singing just yet!

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8554697089_660b2ba123_m.jpg[/img]

UTM

[img]https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7324/26341920004_0d69f14f30_n.jpg>[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
jock dock tower
March 13, 2013, 10:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from 1600
I agree with Sconeboy and chaos.

Comments like "we can still pull the season around even with another couple of poor results in the short term." may be a good point but I think it sends out totally the wrong message.

Think the trouble is people have concerns and it's tough to know if they're justified or whether it's an over-reaction of worry creating a problem where there isn't one.

Adam says
"But for the wins to dry up the way they have when previously we've done well against our promotion rivals is hard to fathom."

But surely we've just got to accept it's a game of fine margins, results don't go in straight lines and we just got unlucky last night ?
Or am I wrong ?

I just don't understand the point of these pro-playoffs threads saying how difficult the title is.
Obviously it's gonna be difficult - doesn't take Einstein to work that one out !  

But what IS the point ? What are we meant to do anyway ?

What does "A time for reflection ?" actually mean ?
Pointlessly worrying about things to the tune of lowering expectations so we can do our best to fearfully struggle at snailpace towards the finish line ?
No thanks !

Why can't we just stay positive and see where it takes us ?
At least for now ?
3pts clear and 3 games in hand, signs of a return to form and FGR play Mansfield on Friday.

tbh it wouldn't suprise me if some prefer the playoff route for the financial benefits of another Wembley trip.
If that's true, think it's silly to WANT to risk trying to negotiate a playoff semi first.

I just think fans would be better off putting their energies into positive ways (e.g. organizing fervent support for Sat) than wasting their time worrying who might be to blame if it all goes wrong or creating problems that don't seem to exist yet.

That's a very philosophical outlook.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 10:19pm
Guest User
It's just a question

re: "I just don't understand the point of these pro-playoffs threads saying how difficult the title is."

Be honest jock, was your post motivated through worry, concern and trying to put other "worriers" minds at rest ?

No harm in admitting it - it shows you care !  
Reply: 18 - 21
TWAreaTownSupporter
March 13, 2013, 10:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from Squidgy Fred
Hey! She aint singing just yet!

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8517/8555770904_bcaedaae25_m.jpg[/img]

UTM

Awesome St George Cartoon Fred. Be a great tee-shirt design.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A time for reflection?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.