March 13, 2013, 9:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from chaos33
Our problems relating to players are these IMO:

None of our wide players are performing with consistency and are drifting in and out of games. Delievery from set pieces and crosses has generally been disappoinnting. Colbeck is the worst culprit for me.  At times is has been infuriating. Too many games are won or lost by set-pieces and crosses and we can't afford to be rubbish. This is the main reason we're not scoring enough goals. The other reason for me is - we're messing about with the forward permeatations too much. Not enough patience or faith is shown if a player has a bad game or two, selection 'gambles' haven't paid off, or substitutions have had little or no effect. Plus - injuries to key players has affected our stability. The Hatton/Wood/Thomas interchange is not bringing the best out of any of them, and you could argue that they've all, at times, deserved to lose their place to one of the others. Again, lack of continuity and lack of consistency. Finally, the level of performance that specific departed players displayed has not been replicated by their replacements - Pond and Nielson specifically.

I think Miller has replaced Pond superbly (the only thing lacking is Ponds goals but defensively Miller has been superb imo)
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
chaos33
March 13, 2013, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,989
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from BIGChris

I think Miller has replaced Pond superbly (the only thing lacking is Ponds goals but defensively Miller has been superb imo)

Yes, I agree and I thought that as soon as I'd typed it. Miller has indeed been superb. I haven't phrased it well and that's why I've edited it immediately - I mean that Pond's presence, consistency and goals have just been missed, as they would be by any team. I don't mean, in his case, that the replacement hasn't been good enough. Do you agree with the other points BC?

I think the Devitt/Nielson issue is interesting. I rate Nielson as an excellent player at this level and I though it would be almost impossible to replace him, but I didn't expect us to get Devitt - a player who is certainly as good and arguably better than Nielson. It's a real disappointment and a loss to us that he is just not playing to his own standard, or isn't getting in the team.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
brad_gtfc
March 14, 2013, 7:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

It was a lovely weighted pass and I thought it glanced off the front of the bar. Would have been a lovely goal - just after that brilliant save their keeper had made down to his right. Let's be honest, Thanoj has been picked out because LJL didn't get a run out.

Thanoj has being picked out because he was crap
I rate him, but Naylor was doing 2 mens work on Tuesday.

Also, all season, it's alarmed me how slow we are to a 2nd ball, anybody seen us win one yet this season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
BIGChris
March 14, 2013, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from brad_gtfc

Thanoj has being picked out because he was crap
I rate him, but Naylor was doing 2 mens work on Tuesday.

Also, all season, it's alarmed me how slow we are to a 2nd ball, anybody seen us win one yet this season?

We win a huge amount of 2nd balls in the key area of in and around our box.

I have posted previously that we dont seem to press the ball 'high up the pitch' seemingly prefering to drop off and squeeze from a deeper position. I think this is a primary reason why our defensive record has been so good and perhaps why we dont have people around to pick up 2nd balls further forward???
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Biccys
March 14, 2013, 10:37am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Noticed the same thing many times. With Dis/Niv in the central pair, when the opposition have the ball, we drop incredibly deep and almost play 6-2-2 with the 2 central guys in front of the CB's, 2 forwards and the 2 wingers staying out wide leaving a gaping hole in the centre of the park.
This is great for defensive solidity, but as soon as we win the ball and invariably launch it forwards, the front 2 are completely isolated and if a winger doesn't latch onto the clearance, the ball is mopped up by the opposing midfield. I'm continually frustrated by the central 2 dropping into the same area thus creating that gap. As good as Dis/Niv have been, neither can be described as a Groves type to maraud from box to box. I hoped Naylor may be this type of player and the new lad from Hull (Can't remember his name already...soz) may be the answer. I lkike Thanoj as a player but he needs that protection from a Niven to allow himself to be effective.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 25
brad_gtfc
March 14, 2013, 4:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from BIGChris

We win a huge amount of 2nd balls in the key area of in and around our box.

I have posted previously that we dont seem to press the ball 'high up the pitch' seemingly prefering to drop off and squeeze from a deeper position. I think this is a primary reason why our defensive record has been so good and perhaps why we dont have people around to pick up 2nd balls further forward???

Thats a fair point, never really looked at it that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › my analysis for mansfield town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.