7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
CatchOfTheDay
March 13, 2013, 7:57am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
To all of the idiots out there, how is our season over? At the beginning of the season, if the managers guaranteed us a play off spot at this time of the month and a wembley trip, we would have snatched their hands off. So to all those gloom and doom's saying we have bottled it, we haven't. So get a grip and get behind the boys and support them.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
March 13, 2013, 8:26am
Guest User
Agree, we have lost two games on the bounce to teams 2nd and 3rd in the league and suddenly we are sh!t. What is interesting is that Niven goes out of the team and we start to wobble.
Reply: 1 - 63
Super Clive
March 13, 2013, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
To all the idiots.....please intercourse off.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 63
TAGG
March 13, 2013, 8:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Unfortunately I'm in S E Asia (90deg every day ) so will miss the rest of the season.
Dont forget folks 'Its not over till the fat lady sings'
If I were home I would be there supporting them so get behind the boys because they are not 'bottling it' just going through a hard time so will need the support more than ever.
You lot are lucky that you can have a day out and see Town lift the Trophy at Wembley I cant and I'm gutted.
Grimsby till I die.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
STB
March 13, 2013, 9:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Whether we win the league, finish in a playoff position or just miss out, its been a decent season and we already have a Wembley appearance.
As fans, all we can do is back the team and hope we achieve our aim of promotion.
I'm sure Luton would willingly swap positions with us !!
UTM

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
jaygy
March 13, 2013, 9:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from TAGG
Unfortunately I'm in S E Asia (90deg every day ) so will miss the rest of the season.
Dont forget folks 'Its not over till the fat lady sings'
If I were home I would be there supporting them so get behind the boys because they are not 'bottling it' just going through a hard time so will need the support more than ever.
You lot are lucky that you can have a day out and see Town lift the Trophy at Wembley I cant and I'm gutted.
Grimsby till I die.  

Not missing the sun sea and sand in Killingholme then?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
forza ivano
March 13, 2013, 9:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
sorry but imho they have blown it for automatic promotion and at the mo i can't really see us beating any of the top 4 over 2 games. they have had their fate in their own hands for many weeks.as several people have said we've been winging it through games since xmas.
if you're going to win the league you have to get points at braintree and turn away draws into wins ,and take points off your competitors. it's certainly a big improvement on last year but it ain't going to be good enough imho

and next year we'll have a resurgent luton plus at least 1 of the wrexham/kiddy/mansfield. feckin non league!! i feckin hate it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2013, 10:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from forza ivano
sorry but imho they have blown it for automatic promotion and at the mo i can't really see us beating any of the top 4 over 2 games. they have had their fate in their own hands for many weeks.as several people have said we've been winging it through games since xmas.
if you're going to win the league you have to get points at braintree and turn away draws into wins ,and take points off your competitors. it's certainly a big improvement on last year but it ain't going to be good enough imho

and next year we'll have a resurgent luton plus at least 1 of the wrexham/kiddy/mansfield. feckin non league!! i feckin hate it!

On what basis have we no chance of beating one of the other top teams over two legs? Over the two league games we'd have beaten Mansfield and Wrexham on an aggregate score. We were the better team last night for long spells of the game and just needed a break or two. Not suggesting we're nailed on to win the play-offs but to suggest we wouldn't be contenders is ridiculously negative. Plenty of time to rediscover our best form.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
TAGG
March 13, 2013, 10:08am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jaygy

Not missing the sun sea and sand in Killingholme then?  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
grimsby pete
March 13, 2013, 10:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Up to a couple of weeks ago we had only lost 4 games in the league all season,

Now we have lost 3 in the last 5 games, so we fans and the players are bound to be pis sed off a touch,

BUT

All good runs come to an end and all bad runs have to end as well,

Lets get behind the team and make our bad run end on saturday by beating Cambridge by a big score,

Do not give up yet, its all to play for.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
northbankmariner
March 13, 2013, 10:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Quoted from grimsby pete

Now we have lost 3 in the last 5 games, so we fans and the players are bound to be pis sed off a touch,

BUT

Lets get behind the team and make our bad run end on saturday by beating Cambridge by a big score,

pete my mate, this site needs more input from the likes of you, honest , reasoned, not deluded just optimistic and positive. i'm with you all the way.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
MuddyWaters
March 13, 2013, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Agreed Pete, but with Disley & Niven out the 7 point gap to the top looks a bridge too far. What has happened in the past 4 days is that the situation is less up to us & more up to the potential failings of others. What is also true is that anything less than the play-offs would be disastrous given what has gone before.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
denni266
March 13, 2013, 11:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Apart from the dissapointment of us starting to drop  down the league this last few weeks. there is the problem of staying in the play off position  and winning it.  if we dont get up this season, will we have the funds to go for it next season,, i doubt it myself  as mr fenty has said , he isnt going to keep putting his hand in his pocket for ever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
forza ivano
March 13, 2013, 11:16am

Exile
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

On what basis have we no chance of beating one of the other top teams over two legs? Over the two league games we'd have beaten Mansfield and Wrexham on an aggregate score. We were the better team last night for long spells of the game and just needed a break or two. Not suggesting we're nailed on to win the play-offs but to suggest we wouldn't be contenders is ridiculously negative. Plenty of time to rediscover our best form.

just my gut feeling rodders.i desperately, desperately hope i'm wrong but i just think we're not as good a side without pond and neilson. i'm not convinced by brodie and john-lewis and whilst i think the centre midfield is much better than we've had in nearly 10 years it's a) not as good as it could be and b) they're getting injured and tired after a long season so inevitably are less effective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
gaz57
March 13, 2013, 11:17am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from STB
Whether we win the league, finish in a playoff position or just miss out, its been a decent season and we already have a Wembley appearance.
As fans, all we can do is back the team and hope we achieve our aim of promotion.
I'm sure Luton would willingly swap positions with us !!
UTM

True they tried swapping teams    UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
Super Clive
March 13, 2013, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Quoted from denni266
Apart from the dissapointment of us starting to drop  down the league this last few weeks. there is the problem of staying in the play off position  and winning it.  if we dont get up this season, will we have the funds to go for it next season,, i doubt it myself  as mr fenty has said , he isnt going to keep putting his hand in his pocket for ever

well not being funny he's got to! althe work this season would. of been for jack excrement. s and h have started a project they might need next year to finish it! wrexhams team has been together for ages look at them.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
Garth
March 13, 2013, 11:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 27
We have made made a bit of money from the Trophy, which helps
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
aaron rattray
March 13, 2013, 11:41am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
If we dont go up this season our budget will be cut big time, because we have stretched our budget big big time, devitt wages are not cheap, brodie i suspect isn't cheap and we signed hannah and probably we dipped into next seasons budget to strengthen the squad from January onwards, BUT elding going and ford and Pearson going has freed up some funds, also the wembley money can beused for our budget next season, so the budget will be cut abit but not massively

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
BIGChris
March 13, 2013, 11:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from aaron rattray
If we dont go up this season our budget will be cut big time, because we have stretched our budget big big time, devitt wages are not cheap, brodie i suspect isn't cheap and we signed hannah and probably we dipped into next seasons budget to strengthen the squad from January onwards, BUT elding going and ford and Pearson going has freed up some funds, also the wembley money can beused for our budget next season, so the budget will be cut abit but not massively

Which one is it?

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
aaron rattray
March 13, 2013, 12:23pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from BIGChris

Which one is it?

Well the phrase you highlight at the top i was going to leave it at that then i thought of something else and i forgot to edit the phrase

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
GrimRob
March 13, 2013, 12:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,469
Gold Stars: 115
We're still third favourites at a best priced 5/1 to win the league. I'd have settled for that on 13th March if you'd have offered it at the start of the season.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 63
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,586
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Garth
We have made made a bit of money from the Trophy, which helps

Plus if it is to be an assault on the play offs that will mean two guaranteed biggish gates (H +A) plus the prospect of another Wembley trip

I'm not sure how play off attendance monies are split (obviously the BSP will want a cut) but it's got to help out with the old cash flow!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 63
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
We're still third favourites at a best priced 5/1 to win the league. I'd have settled for that on 13th March if you'd have offered it at the start of the season.

I said to a mate who went to the match last night that as we were leaving the Southport, Stockport and Nuneaton games back in August if we'd have known we'd be were we are now we'd have thought it was a dream

Town's season is nowhere near over yet...we've all got to keep the faith!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 63
Grimozi
March 13, 2013, 12:53pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Still plenty of time to go, lots of games between the top teams that could go in our favour, better to have our blip now for a few games then turn it around, the teams in form are due a fall, hopefully sooner rather than later or the as the play offs happen.

I reckon we will go up via the playoffs and do the same as 98", forever the optimist but winning the league is still a possibilty

How about Hearn to return as our Roy of the rovers for older town fans and send us up

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
DocTower
March 13, 2013, 2:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Every team has a blip , unfortunatley ours has come now at a crucial time , and we have o play what could called 6 pointers. What ever happens it's been a good season . Cold January , Febuary and March , still getting good crowds . We still are the envy of nearl all other teams in this division . They don't come to make it pretty or easy for us , yes our luck has deserted us , but theres always next week .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
mariner91
March 13, 2013, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,836
Gold Stars: 264
We played well last night against the in form team and had we scored first would probably have won. That is a big positive. Hopefully Disley won't be out for long. If we play at our best we can beat any team in this league, its just finding some form in time for the play offs because sadly I think the form of other teams means the league is out our grasp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
TAGG
March 13, 2013, 2:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aaron rattray

With top quality information like this and the rambling way you present it you must be John Fentys son

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
sonik
March 13, 2013, 7:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from TAGG

With top quality information like this and the rambling way you present it you must be John Fentys son

Now that's not fair! LOL!!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
Cod Cheeks
March 13, 2013, 7:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Now is the time to get behind them

Pull them over the finish as BSP champions!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 63
wigworld
March 13, 2013, 7:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from sonik

Now that's not fair! LOL!!

For aaron or JF?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 63
lawsman
March 13, 2013, 7:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Don't panic, it's not over yet still plenty of games to go.
     There will be plenty of twists and turns until the end of the season, and whoever is at the top then deserves to go up( hopefully GTFC) if not then we will do it the hard way via the play offs.
       What we must not do is abandon the team now when we should all pull together, remember it is us ( fans and players alike) against the world so unite and hold on for the ride it will be bumpy and we will triumph.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 8:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agreed Pete, but with Disley & Niven out the 7 point gap to the top looks a bridge too far.

Not necessarily.
Naylor sounded like he had a very good game last night and who knows how good the Hull bloke might be.
Thanoj is hardly useless by any means either and by the sound of it, even Artus is giving the mangers a nudge in training.
Is Disley even out anyway ? For how long ?

I see no reason (at least yet) why we can't win our home games (and a few away ones) with these players.

Reply: 31 - 63
chaos33
March 13, 2013, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,017
Gold Stars: 362
If it does seem like a 'bridge too far' we can't afford to show it. Or act like it. We have good players. Disley might yet be back quickly.
Besides, rival teams will doubtless suffer losses. What if Kiddy lose Malbon to injury? Or Mansfield lose Green?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
MCT_grimsby
March 13, 2013, 9:42pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from CatchOfTheDay
To all of the idiots out there, how is our season over? At the beginning of the season, if the managers guaranteed us a play off spot at this time of the month and a wembley trip, we would have snatched their hands off. So to all those gloom and doom's saying we have bottled it, we haven't. So get a grip and get behind the boys and support them.

UTM.

Great post and totally agree. Come on  town fans dont give up and get on the players backs now we have to get behind them. UTM

UTM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
CairnsMariner
March 14, 2013, 7:42am

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
Living in paradise might well give me too sunny an outlook on things, but I fail to see how these last couple of results have all but ended our season, as some would have us believe. Automatic promotion looks hard, but is far from impossible - look at the fixtures coming up for the sides above us - and the play-offs (I don't want to imagine us falling out of the top 5) are winnable if we have to take that route.

Assuming that it is Wrexham who go straight up, then there is nobody else in the play-offs with the ability to make their home ground as intimidating and noisy and hostile as Blundell Park can be. With a truly partizan crowd in BP, nobody will want to come to Grimsby, especially for the decisive 2nd leg (if we can finish 2nd or 3rd).

I don't think Town should fear anyone over two legs. Obviously a final is a lottery and anything could happen, but should it be required, then I firmly believe that Town would make it to Wembley.

ALL of the sides above us CANNOT win EVERY game, there are simply too many top 5 clashes left. We need to start winning (obviously) and it will only taking a few dropped points above us to throw the top spot wide open again. Nobody is unbeatable (look at Kidderminster's opening 10 or so games; Newport's game against FGR, Town vs Mansfield) and Town are as capable as anyone of stringing a run of results together. Let's hope that we can start at the weekend.

Up The Mariners

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
forza ivano
March 14, 2013, 10:36am

Exile
trouble is cairns a packed, noisy, partisan BP is as much a hinderance to our players than a help - look how they consistently manage to 'freeze' or lose games when there's a big crowd - kiddy and lincoln are just the last 2 of  along line
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
Sconeboy
March 14, 2013, 10:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from forza ivano
trouble is cairns a packed, noisy, partisan BP is as much a hinderance to our players than a help - look how they consistently manage to 'freeze' or lose games when there's a big crowd - kiddy and lincoln are just the last 2 of  along line

He's not wrong  

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
oldun
March 14, 2013, 3:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from forza ivano

Perhaps it should be played behind closed doors and beamed to a massive screen on the  allotments near Peaks Parkway and we can just then wait for the victory parade to go past, ending up at an all night party and firework display at the Meridian Park, after which John Fenty will invite us all back to his mansion for a takeaway. Sounds like a win win situation to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
forza ivano
March 14, 2013, 4:09pm

Exile
Quoted from oldun

Perhaps it should be played behind closed doors and beamed to a massive screen on the  allotments near Peaks Parkway and we can just then wait for the victory parade to go past, ending up at an all night party and firework display at the Meridian Park, after which John Fenty will invite us all back to his mansion for a takeaway. Sounds like a win win situation to me.

sounds like a plan - or just beam it live into all bars and have a right royal p..s up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
brad_gtfc
March 14, 2013, 4:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Drinking? I dont think the fishy would approve of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
Brazilnut
March 14, 2013, 4:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
still 11 games ....Mansfield have won 11 out of 12 and see how they have closed the gap.......if we do some similar then we will not only close the gap but hit playoff in form

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
brad_gtfc
March 14, 2013, 4:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
If that Mansfield team have won 11 out of there last 12 then so can we.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
rancido
March 14, 2013, 7:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 1600

Not necessarily.
Naylor sounded like he had a very good game last night and who knows how good the Hull bloke might be.
Thanoj is hardly useless by any means either and by the sound of it, even Artus is giving the mangers a nudge in training.
Is Disley even out anyway ? For how long ?

I see no reason (at least yet) why we can't win our home games (and a few away ones) with these players.

Its been a constant fear of mine that if Disley got injured or suspended then who would cover for him. Apart from Artus , and he hasn't been used in that position yet , Disley does not have a natural replacement. Thanoj still has a long way to go before he can " run " the mid-field and this was another reason why I would have loved Pond to have been with us until the end of the season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
80sglory
March 14, 2013, 10:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido
Its been a constant fear of mine that if Disley got injured or suspended then who would cover for him.

Easy to say now.
Didn't see you offer any support to any posts I made at the time where I said there was a danger of players getting injured ?
Anyway, thanks for slagging off the backup players who might be required to step in.
Reply: 43 - 63
CairnsMariner
March 15, 2013, 5:44am

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
Quoted from forza ivano

That's a fair point, FI. I think there is still a part of me that struggles to accept that we are at the same level as Forest Green and Kidderminster and therefore just as likely to feel the pressure of a big occassion and noisy crowd.

That said, pressure is going to become a factor for all of the sides pushing for promotion, especially as the holy grail of league football comes within sight for someone. Which is why I cannot accept that the season is all but over for Town, as some are suggesting. This coming weekend is huge, and may even give an indication of how things are goiing to go, but that is all it will be, an indication. Nothing is close to being settled yet and to write Town's chances off altogether does, in my opinion, no good to anyone, other than our promotioin rivals.

Up The Mariners

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
aldi_01
March 15, 2013, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
For the guy that said we miss pond and neilson, I'd disagree. Perhaps pond but not neilson. His swift move to Luton to live with mummy and extra money to pretty much bench warm prove to me he wasn't up for a fight.

It's far from over. Instead of the fans getting on players backs or picking fault may e some need to look at the positives. I've seen comments from people who's weren't at either of the last two games. Kiddy was crap but at half time at Mansfield there should only have been one team in it. They scored their first when we were down to ten and their second when we were pushing in. The home sides keeper getting MOM summed up our night.

The doom mongering me the negativity from some needs to disappear. It's not just on here either. Some of the morons in the ground, one bad pass and it's game over. Crazy.

As for the midfield, people need to wake up and realise, unless you're Barcelona I don't know fans from any side that think they have a good midfield. The way some carry on about it even if we threw xavi in there people wouldn't be happy.

People just like moaning, look at the numbers of people on here after a defeat, it's usually double what we get after a victory. If we win the league some wont be happy.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
rancido
March 15, 2013, 2:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Easy to say now.
Didn't see you offer any support to any posts I made at the time where I said there was a danger of players getting injured ?
Anyway, thanks for slagging off the backup players who might be required to step in.

What the f**k !!!!!
Because I didn't enter YOUR debate about back up players doesn't mean I wasn't concerned about the situation. I never had anything extra to say about your points therefore I didn't say anything that would repeat what you had said.Simples.
As for slagging off the backup players , how the f**k have you come to that conclusion!!! All I said was that I didn't think Thanoj was experienced enough to run the mid-field and we have yet to see Artus play in that role.
I don't normally swear on this board but your statement is so of the mark to what I wrote that I feel it deserves that kind of response. I normally enjoy your posts , although they sometimes can be a bit long-winded, but your reply to my observation was completely off-track and uncalled for.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 3:52pm
Guest User
Well whether players like Thanoj should play or not, as long as they're not playing they're not gonna get that "experience" they might need.
It's a catch 22, especially if you want to keep your best players fresh and performing to the best of their ability come the business end of the season.
Reply: 47 - 63
rancido
March 15, 2013, 4:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Well whether players like Thanoj should play or not, as long as they're not playing they're not gonna get that "experience" they might need.
It's a catch 22, especially if you want to keep your best players fresh and performing to the best of their ability come the business end of the season.

Fair comments but the point I was trying to make about Thanoj was not about giving him "game time" but using him to replace Disley as the play-maker. Alongside Disley he will learn a lot as Dis is a very experienced player but to depend on him to run the mid-field is a step too far for him AT THIS STAGE IN HIS CAREER , IMO. Two or three seasons down the road then he could quite possibly be an able replacement for Disley but not yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
FishOutOfWater
March 15, 2013, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Is it just me or does the Fishy seem a bit hostile this afternoon?

Friday frustration seems to be coming to the surface...

Let's hope we get the right result tomorrow or it could be carnage on here come Saturday evening  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 63
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 5:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido
Fair comments but the point I was trying to make about Thanoj was not about giving him "game time" but using him to replace Disley as the play-maker. Alongside Disley he will learn a lot as Dis is a very experienced player but to depend on him to run the mid-field is a step too far for him AT THIS STAGE IN HIS CAREER , IMO. Two or three seasons down the road then he could quite possibly be an able replacement for Disley but not yet.

Well I wouldn't replace him either.

But for me it's not the only way to include him.
As you see on the "Team for Cambridge" thread, I'm thinking of 3 central midfielders.

I take your point he may not be able to run the midfield myself but tbh, my concern is more the defensive side of his game.

I'd feel slightly uncomfortable myself with potential defensive cracks if he was playing in a 442. (especially with Niven out)

So this (433/451) might help to alleviate the issue and it's also gonna be easier for him to express his passing ability with 2 other central midfielders in there to help all round.

I just think we've a lot of central midfelders waiting in the wings who can pass the ball, so it's worth thinking about.

ATEOTD Thanoj is just gonna need to buckle down and if he's not doing a good enough defensive job then he's out as far as I'm concerned.
That said, I've always thought you're better off trying to keep the ball as a means of defending than running around like a blue arsed fly.
Reply: 50 - 63
easypeersy
March 16, 2013, 5:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
To the idiot who started this... and called us doubters and more realistic people idiots... just take a look at our performances since New Years Day. Absolutely shocking performances at home - every single one. Lucky results when we won. Grinding out results was mentioned a lot of time but that was wrong. It was pure luck. Couple that with hardly a win at all away and it's a complete disaster.
Now we have been found out, overtaken and will probably be overtaken again to slip out of the play offs.
The OBVIOUS missing components are Pond and Neilsen. The guy who said that is completely correct. Much as we all despise Neilsen for what he did, he was very good in our team.
Too many rash signings in the New Year destroyed our chances.Why do we need 5 strikers?
I cling on to faint hopes now that we can stay in at least 5th position and somehow win the play offs but I am doubting that we have the mentality, the skill, the fighting spirit to even achieve that now. The towel seems to have been thrown in!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
brad_gtfc
March 16, 2013, 5:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Peoples opinions of Nielson are blinded by the fact he's abit of a twit.
Since he's left we look devoid of ideas. I think Miller and Pearson are good, but Pond is better than both.
We have missed him.
The disruption of losing the above 2 and the Hannah fiasco is the main reason we've fell away.
We haven't looked the same since, apart 60 mins on Tuesday night, anyone who disagrees must've being watching a different team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2013, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Luton apart we've been dog since the transfer window. Losing Pond was one thing and add that to the Hannah & Marshall stand-offs we looked pretty desperate. Almost hope we don't get the play-offs because I can't see us getting through against any of the others & with that I fear for our budget next season. Have to say that the managers have got more wrong than they've got right in recent weeks & their inexperience has shown up. I really hope we can turn it round but fear that we won't.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
northbankmariner
March 16, 2013, 7:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
we forget one thing regarding losing pond and nielsen, neither were towns decisions.    fleetwood wanted pond back, nothing we could do about that and i cannot blame them as he was playing very well, and nielsen wanted to go and try his luck elsewhere, again nothing we could do about that. now everyone is blaming anyone and everything but we had no choices in either of these decissons.  we have tried to replace but opinion seems to be that replacements were/are not as good?   just who do you think of any good/high standard would want to drop down to a BSP team right now, we cannot match the wages they are on at their parent clubs nor can we offer the standard of football that they are used to playing in the league. For what it is worth i thik we have done very well in the transfer markets and with loanees, crikey we have attracted some good players, we are in a dip in form, but thats all lets not lose focus or hope here we are in an envious positon to many other ex league clubs n this division, who want to change places with stockport,macclesfield,lincoln,hereford, to name but a few.
keep it real guys we are having a good season but as fans after a great run have we had our heads turned into thinking we are world beaters, reality check no we are not but we are more than useful at this level. what will be will be but i have got the bug back in supporting town this season.

UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
FishOutOfWater
March 16, 2013, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from easypeersy
To the idiot who started this... and called us doubters and more realistic people idiots... just take a look at our performances since New Years Day. Absolutely shocking performances at home - every single one. Lucky results when we won. Grinding out results was mentioned a lot of time but that was wrong. It was pure luck. Couple that with hardly a win at all away and it's a complete disaster.[/Now we have been found out, overtaken and will probably be overtaken again to slip out of the play offs.
The OBVIOUS missing components are Pond and Neilsen. The guy who said that is completely correct. Much as we all despise Neilsen for what he did, he was very good in our team.
Too many rash signings in the New Year destroyed our chances.Why do we need 5 strikers?
I cling on to faint hopes now that we can stay in at least 5th position and somehow win the play offs but I am doubting that we have the mentality, the skill, the fighting spirit to even achieve that now. The towel seems to have been thrown in!

What? So shocking that after Pond's last game for us we won 6 games on the bounce at home?

Maybe the two trophy games against Luton and Braintree don't count if you're just talking league but shocking? Really? Just luck??

Not perhaps perseverance to get something out of games where opponents would have been happy to have drawn with us instead of going back to their place with nothing to show for their efforts?

Maybe we didn't play with any great flair but we got 12 points from those four league games before the two we've just lost at home on the trot....

And as for away games, we've only had four this year in the league...out of those I think the only one that was sub-standard was the Braintree one where most of our team seemingly didn't show up

I just think some people are getting frustrated because we were for a while top of the league and now we're fifth...moving down is not an option it seems

If we'd moved up the table from 10th to 5th would people not be happy with where we are currently sitting?

Or say if the last three defeats had been spread over a longer period would people feel so down right now

I don't know the answers but I'm happy enough to take where we are right now and still have faith we can make the play offs and do something against whoever we face. I don't think the players have thrown in the towels, but some fans certainly have
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 63
TWAreaTownSupporter
March 17, 2013, 3:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Or say if the last three defeats had been spread over a longer period would people feel so down right now

Scott made that point in his interview and I thought then that's not quite valid. Sure we'd have the same number of points. But having 3 defeats in a row now feels worse than than having them spread out because it indicates a loss of form and a more serious probem than trucking along and losing the odd game.

If we'd been on 64 points having lost 8 all season, with the defeats being spread out more evely, our recent run would be much better and everyone would feel more confident about the next few games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
80sglory
March 17, 2013, 3:42am
Guest User
Yeah it FEELS worse but it's not entirely suprising by any means.

Loss of form and confidence after disappointing loss of tough games (being the better team with 0 luck) + loss of several key players in a nightmare week all round.

Mitigating circumstances x 100 = no need to over-react like we're not good enough to ultimately succeed like many feel right now.

You just don't outplay Mansfield for over an hour if you're way off the pace.
Reply: 57 - 63
Codzilla
March 17, 2013, 3:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Peoples opinions of Nielson are blinded by the fact he's abit of a twit.
Since he's left we look devoid of ideas. I think Miller and Pearson are good, but Pond is better than both.
We have missed him.
The disruption of losing the above 2 and the Hannah fiasco is the main reason we've fell away.
We haven't looked the same since, apart 60 mins on Tuesday night, anyone who disagrees must've being watching a different team.

sure i've read nielson can't get in luton's team? not 100% sure though. if he's not good enough for us then...

Pond has been a massive loss though, just like he would be to anyone is this league, he was a class above.

the hannah fiasco couldn't have possibly helped. thought that while it was happening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
FishOutOfWater
March 17, 2013, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Yeah it FEELS worse but it's not entirely suprising by any means.

Loss of form and confidence after disappointing loss of tough games (being the better team with 0 luck) + loss of several key players in a nightmare week all round.

Mitigating circumstances x 100 = no need to over-react like we're not good enough to ultimately succeed like many feel right now.

You just don't outplay Mansfield for over an hour if you're way off the pace.

Agree with you 80s

I know the old story is you make your own luck but that's only half of the story

Disley going off at half time against Mansfield, Miller being off the field when they scored their first didn't help us on Tuesday...how did we make our own luck there?

And apart from the o.g. gift yesterday I don't think Cambridge would have scored, so we'd have maybe had a couple more points on the board

I might be a glass half full man when it comes to Town but some on here are so downbeat they don't even seem to recognise we still have a glass at all!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 63
arryarryarry
March 20, 2013, 1:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from CatchOfTheDay

UTM.

Just wondering, did you go tonight?
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
OneLove
March 20, 2013, 6:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
[b][/b]TO ALL THE IDIOTS..........why is someone who is annoyed not allowed to throw an opinion and say weve bottled it? Since beating Lincoln on boxing day, the records standing at drawn 3 won 4 and lost five, four of which are on the bounce, pretty worrying i reckon. I think town have peaked to early bit like last season again, go on a run them boom we carnt produce that final product, its like the horse out in front with the last few jumps, gassing and deflated. But what annoys me is, that they are dejecting town fans who pay good money to follow this club home and away, possibly the best fans in this league by far,is this taken into consideration? Ahhh I dont no, wembleys wembley, Id rather us not be there to be honest and concentrate on more important things, but hey hoe, where all grimsby still and will continue to thru thick and thin. Anyone with size 15 boots pop by BP and boot everyone of them up the bottom including rs and ph.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
the ace face
March 20, 2013, 10:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -7
once wembley is out the way the lads will come good again, its like trying to concentrate on your job if you are on a "flyer" on christmas eve and can possibly leave work early,your mind just won't be on the job in hand....................is it really that hard for everyone to grasp?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
cmackenzie4
March 20, 2013, 10:22am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from the ace face
once wembley is out the way the lads will come good again, its like trying to concentrate on your job if you are on a "flyer" on christmas eve and can possibly leave work early,your mind just won't be on the job in hand....................is it really that hard for everyone to grasp?

Understand what your saying mate but people are paying good money to go see the mariners, these players are suppose to be professionals, York did it so why cant we ?  Because of this poor run there is a chance now we may get over taken from a play off spot.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › To all the idiots

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.