Just back

This thread currently has 4,469 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
SteveL
March 12, 2013, 11:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +30
Totally dominated the first half. Disley's injury was a big blow as he and Naylor were running the show. We were still on top up until the first goal which came from a corner whilst Miller was off the pitch. Second goal was a screamer out of nowhere and completely flattered an average but very physical Mansfield side. For me everyone had a decent game, with the exception of Thanoj who I thought was poor when he came on. Very unlucky to lose and again the Town support was excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner91
March 12, 2013, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262
Thanoj has had a massive chance in the past two weeks and unfortunately has been lacking in every game. Could yet still be a good player but not what we need right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
Theimperialcoroner
March 12, 2013, 11:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,262
Gold Stars: 102
Mansfield not a patch on Kiddy. Lucky to score when Miller off the pitch. On another night we'd have scored 5. Just before their second Hannah missed a golden chance. Devitt destroyed their FB but the final ball wasn't quite there. I'd expect to beat these if we got them in the play offs, just a bunch of meatheads.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
BIGChris
March 12, 2013, 11:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Town started well and showed there was no hangover from Saturdays defeat. The first half was probably the best performance for months as we were dominant at the back and in midfield and had good movement up front. The down side was that when hannah got through he failed to beat the keeper and also had a good effort well saved.

Half time and Disley has to go off injured and boy did we miss him. Anyone who is in any doubt about his value would have seen why he is so vital to us.

Miller went down heavily on the half way line ( in the premier league the opponents would have been 'pressured' into putting the ball out) but as it wasnt a hea dinjury play continued. When he had to leave the pitch they scored from a header from the resultant corner. Prior to this Miller and Pearson were dominant in the air.

We then resorted to too much long high ball. Why? God only knows but we do seem to struggle once we go behind. I am convinced had we scored first we would have won.
We had a couple of chances but Devitt put the ball too near the keeper when having good crossing opportunities. He must give the strikers a chance of doing their job.

Their 2nd was a worldy. Unstoppable strike.

Miller and Pearson did well and both full backs did better than Saturday although Thomas' attacking threat was reduced as he had Mieklein his pocket.

Naylor was excellent. Far above this level.

Without Niven and Disley we are a very young side and a lot of responsibility rests on Millers shoulders. We could do with another experienced head imo

Mansfield are on a hell of a run but on the night werent worldbeaters however momentum is with them and it was what won them the points in the end.

Is that the end of our championship hopes? Not entirely. I am told (but havent looked) that we are 7 points behind with 2 games in hand? That isnt insurmountable as we only have one game against a top 6 side.

Play like we did for most of tonight and the season isnt over yet.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
FishOutOfWater
March 12, 2013, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Mansfield not a patch on Kiddy. Lucky to score when Miller off the pitch. On another night we'd have scored 5. Just before their second Hannah missed a golden chance. Devitt destroyed their FB but the final ball wasn't quite there. I'd expect to beat these if we got them in the play offs, just a bunch of meatheads.

Was that the ball Aswad played in? If so, on the radio they gave him credit for going as close as he did because the ball to him had been played in behind him

I've got a feeling that when he does get his goal, the floodgates will open and we'll see the Hannah that made us want to get him in in the first place
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 34
grimsbydan
March 12, 2013, 11:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +2
If its the playoffs, I hope we get Mansfield, they are a physical team that look for set pieces, remind of the Northampton side that we beat at wembley, but we should have too much for them over two legs. It was a shame tonight, just weren't clinical, woot ourselves in some great positions, but delivery or finish not good enough. Cook a bit infuriating, never seemed to be in the box! Hopefully Hannah can start scoring again and Hearn will be scoring like he was before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
Theimperialcoroner
March 12, 2013, 11:40pm

Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Was that the ball Aswad played in? If so, on the radio they gave him credit for going as close as he did because the ball to him had been played in behind him

I've got a feeling that when he does get his goal, the floodgates will open and we'll see the Hannah that made us want to get him in in the first place

Yeah, I did actually think a out calling it a golden chance, ball was awkward for him, but had he got the right contact it was a goal such was his position.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
gtfc98
March 12, 2013, 11:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from BIGChris
Town started well and showed there was no hangover from Saturdays defeat. The first half was probably the best performance for months as we were dominant at the back and in midfield and had good movement up front. The down side was that when hannah got through he failed to beat the keeper and also had a good effort well saved.

Half time and Disley has to go off injured and boy did we miss him. Anyone who is in any doubt about his value would have seen why he is so vital to us.

Miller went down heavily on the half way line ( in the premier league the opponents would have been 'pressured' into putting the ball out) but as it wasnt a hea dinjury play continued. When he had to leave the pitch they scored from a header from the resultant corner. Prior to this Miller and Pearson were dominant in the air.

We then resorted to too much long high ball. Why? God only knows but we do seem to struggle once we go behind. I am convinced had we scored first we would have won.
We had a couple of chances but Devitt put the ball too near the keeper when having good crossing opportunities. He must give the strikers a chance of doing their job.

Their 2nd was a worldy. Unstoppable strike.

Miller and Pearson did well and both full backs did better than Saturday although Thomas' attacking threat was reduced as he had Mieklein his pocket.

Naylor was excellent. Far above this level.

Without Niven and Disley we are a very young side and a lot of responsibility rests on Millers shoulders. We could do with another experienced head imo

Mansfield are on a hell of a run but on the night werent worldbeaters however momentum is with them and it was what won them the points in the end.

Is that the end of our championship hopes? Not entirely. I am told (but havent looked) that we are 7 points behind with 2 games in hand? That isnt insurmountable as we only have one game against a top 6 side.

Play like we did for most of tonight and the season isnt over yet.

Great post Chris, I also think had we have scored first we would have gone on to win. We need to stay positive! Bring on Cambrige!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
Chrisblor
March 12, 2013, 11:57pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,952
Gold Stars: 239
I can't stand Mansfield. From their awful fame hungry pube-headed chairman adorning their ground with banners proclaiming "IN JOHN RADFORD WE TRUST" to flipping Chelsea Dagger blaring out their PA system after goals and the 'all-ticket' fiasco preventing Town fans from attending they can intercourse right off. I don't have much time for John Fenty but at least he's not as egotistical enough to stick up "IN JOHN FENTY WE TRUST" banners all over the Findus stand.

Far too many times we got the ball outside to Devitt and Marshall who beat their man only to fail when it came to the final ball. Our final delivery into the box just isn't good enough. Hannah should have scored today but when clean through he messed up because he doesn't have a right foot. Their first goal was balderdash scored by their fat pub team striker after they injured Miller and forced him off the pitch for treatment leaving us to defend a corner with 10 men. Their second was a wonder-strike but by that point it looked like we'd pushed too many forward and it was far too easy for them to find the space around the box where they scored from. It's frustrating because we played better, and Mansfield weren't great, but we still can't come away with a result.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
AndyGTFC
March 13, 2013, 12:01am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
One of those matches that makes football so frustrating at times.

We were very good first half, both teams started decently but we definitely got on top as the half wore on. It was the best we've played in months but we just couldn't manage to score.  

Disley going off definitely made a difference, Thanoj isn't quite the player some people make him out to be just yet but nevertheless, we still looked like we would get the win until their first goal. After that, we folded a bit and didn't look the same. Their second was a brilliant strike that we couldn't do much about.

Not completely out of the title race but got to rely on other teams and also do the business ourselves now. If we can play like we did in the first hour then we'll win more games than not, that is for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
Alfie
March 13, 2013, 12:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Echo what Chris said. He surmises it perfectly for me. (the other Chris isn't far off either...)
Gutted but more optimistic after tonight than before. It's gonna be a slog but we'll give out all.

Fantastic support tonight. Absolutely superb.

Believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
ponnyfan
March 13, 2013, 12:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Highlight of the evening Jamie" The Windmill" Devitt prior to the second half free kick opportunity  

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
aaron rattray
March 13, 2013, 12:31am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
We missed disley big big big big time, thanoj was a passenger 2nd half, 2 unmarked men scored, will,post my in depth thoughts tomorrow so look out for that thread

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
ticker_1610
March 13, 2013, 12:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Thanoj, was carried against Kiddy by Disley on Saturday and tonight the excellent Naylor had too much to do with Thanoj totally ineffective. Thanoj was weak, slow and immobile. My concern is Naylor looked like he tweaked his hamstring after a cracking cross field ball to the lively Devitt. If we lose Naylor n Disley we are up sht creek without a paddle. Before their second both Cook and Brodie were manhandled to the floor and the ref just totally ignored both fouls. A poor display by the officials and a very physical Mansfield team, that got away with far too many blatant fouls!

Not often I've left a game feeling robbed. But tonight Robin Hood wouldn't have done such a good robbery!
Hope we play with the same tempo n desire on Sat! UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
ponnyfan
March 13, 2013, 12:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from aaron rattray
We missed disley big big big big time, thanoj was a passenger 2nd half, 2 unmarked men scored, will,post my in depth thoughts tomorrow so look out for that thread

Can't wait

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
brad_gtfc
March 13, 2013, 1:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Very unlucky tonight, just not meant to be.

The performance has given me alot of hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
andygtfc247
March 13, 2013, 7:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from aaron rattray

Aaron be careful the grammar police will be waiting in anticipation to red pen your thread!

Make sure you proof read it fella  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
Tommy
March 13, 2013, 8:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Agree with BigChris and ticker's posts really.

Until they scored, we were the better side and looking the most likely to go on and win.

Final ball was disappointing as most crosses were gifted straight into Marriotts hands, after getting into some good positions out wide.

A few occasions in the second half Marshall and Brodie had opportunities to shoot but didn't, and I don't think we worked their keeper enough.

Game-changing moment was Disley going off I'm afraid. Missed him in the second half as it left the classy Naylor, who I thought had a cracking game, fighting a 2-man battle on his own in the middle of the park. Thanoj was anonymous and despite the clamouring of many on here all season to get him in the team, isn't the answer for a team chasing promotion.

Cook was doing ok winning headers (especially 1st half) but doesn't get into enough positions where he can score goals. I know that's possibly often because he's the one dropping deep to win a header or chest it down and get it wide, but he doesn't seem to get in and around the box much, and won't be a proper goalscorer until he can play nearer the opposition goal.

After all that I was/am gutted we lost, but I wouldve been feeling a lot worse had we not played well. The fact that we worked hard and played well for the majority, gives me hope that we can get back to some good performances and winning ways.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
highcliff mariner
March 13, 2013, 9:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Tommy

Until they scored, we were the better side and looking the most likely to go on and win.

Final ball was disappointing as most crosses were gifted straight into Marriotts hands, after getting into some good positions out wide.

A few occasions in the second half Marshall and Brodie had opportunities to shoot but didn't, and I don't think we worked their keeper enough.

Game-changing moment was Disley going off I'm afraid. Missed him in the second half as it left the classy Naylor, who I thought had a cracking game, fighting a 2-man battle on his own in the middle of the park. Thanoj was anonymous and despite the clamouring of many on here all season to get him in the team, isn't the answer for a team chasing promotion.

Cook was doing ok winning headers (especially 1st half) but doesn't get into enough positions where he can score goals. I know that's possibly often because he's the one dropping deep to win a header or chest it down and get it wide, but he doesn't seem to get in and around the box much, and won't be a proper goalscorer until he can play nearer the opposition goal.

After all that I was/am gutted we lost, but I wouldve been feeling a lot worse had we not played well. The fact that we worked hard and played well for the majority, gives me hope that we can get back to some good performances and winning ways.

Didn't go last night , sat with earplugs in lol,but this is how it came across to me last night.
atmospere sounded superb, we sounded like we played well and (ok its 3 pts lost)seemed to mee that we are "up for it"oh and those that went were superb with their backing .

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2013, 9:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
I thought we played well and everybody did their bit. First half we were excellent and whilst Disley going off was obviously a blow I still thought we'd go on to win the game before their goal. The turning point for me was the couple of minutes early in the second half when their keeper made that excellent save down to his right and then the cross got flashed across the face of goal and glanced off the bar - one of those goes in and we go on to win the game in my opinion. The title looks difficult now but we need to get our heads down, secure a play-off place and we'll have as good a chance as the other three teams in there.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
Garth
March 13, 2013, 10:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Tommy

I did not go last night so my thoughts are based on fellow mariners who did and JT coments, I think that it would have been a good option for Wilson to have been tried instead of Thanoj who I like but think he is more of a player suited to games where we are in front and comfortable, not being wise after the event as I said the same in previous my team threads, we are still in with a fighting chance though and need a win Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
Garth
March 13, 2013, 10:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Tommy

I did not go last night so my thoughts are based on fellow mariners who did and JT coments, I think that it would have been a good option for Wilson to have been tried instead of Thanoj who I like but think he is more of a player suited to games where we are in front and comfortable, not being wise after the event as I said the same in previous my team threads, we are still in with a fighting chance though and need a win Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Mariners_15
March 13, 2013, 10:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Chrisblor
I can't stand Mansfield. From their awful fame hungry pube-headed chairman adorning their ground with banners proclaiming "IN JOHN RADFORD WE TRUST" to flipping Chelsea Dagger blaring out their PA system after goals and the 'all-ticket' fiasco preventing Town fans from attending they can intercourse right off. I don't have much time for John Fenty but at least he's not as egotistical enough to stick up "IN JOHN FENTY WE TRUST" banners all over the Findus stand.

Far too many times we got the ball outside to Devitt and Marshall who beat their man only to fail when it came to the final ball. Our final delivery into the box just isn't good enough. Hannah should have scored today but when clean through he messed up because he doesn't have a right foot. Their first goal was balderdash scored by their fat pub team striker after they injured Miller and forced him off the pitch for treatment leaving us to defend a corner with 10 men. Their second was a wonder-strike but by that point it looked like we'd pushed too many forward and it was far too easy for them to find the space around the box where they scored from. It's frustrating because we played better, and Mansfield weren't great, but we still can't come away with a result.

If true then very embarrassing! If Fenty ever did that I dread to think how much abuse he'd get!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Chrisblor
March 13, 2013, 10:54am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,952
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Mariners_15

If true then very embarrassing! If Fenty ever did that I dread to think how much abuse he'd get!

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8520940022_c758413bce_c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dc62f8abc83b9e473adf-4ff6d8e8acd36113671899269b4da641.r53.cf3.rackcdn.com/146-Mansfield-chairman-John-Radford-gives-boss-Paul-Cox.jpg[/img]

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
andygtfc247
March 13, 2013, 11:33am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from Chrisblor

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8520940022_c758413bce_c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dc62f8abc83b9e473adf-4ff6d8e8acd36113671899269b4da641.r53.cf3.rackcdn.com/146-Mansfield-chairman-John-Radford-gives-boss-Paul-Cox.jpg[/img]

Is this the bloke that their ex escort girl (apparently) director is boffing?    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2013, 11:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from andygtfc247

Is this the bloke that their ex escort girl (apparently) director is boffing?    

She's married to him and no wonder - what a hunk!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

She's married to him and no wonder - what a hunk!

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/xqdgef.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/aon801.jpg[/IMG]

He's definitely had some kind of make over since they got hitched...don't know which "image" is worst  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 34
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2013, 2:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
If they get her orangeness and his hairline their kids will look like little orangutans.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
mariner91
March 13, 2013, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262
She's disgusting as well to be fair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Theimperialcoroner
March 13, 2013, 9:05pm

What does she see in the Millionaire Mansfield Chairman???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 9:42pm
Guest User
I just wonder if something is amiss with Thanoj right now because think I heard the managers talk about how they weren't happy he went off to play for England C and he may be down the pecking order as a result.
Think I might have heard he wants more games too ?

It's wild speculation and I'm not making any excuses whether something has gone on behind the scenes or not.

Just wonder if he gets his chance to start he might show more than coming off the bench ?
Who knows...
Will be interesting to see who starts on Saturday.

tbh I don't doubt Thanoj was poor.
But when people say he isn't what we need based on half a game off the bench I take it with a pinch of salt.
Not knocking Niven at all and wish he was back but some will always prefer a player hunting and winning the ball than someone keeping hold of the it.

We dominated the game in terms of possession without Niven ?
Reply: 30 - 34
Maringer
March 13, 2013, 9:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,663
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from 1600
I just wonder if something is amiss with Thanoj right now because think I heard the managers talk about how they weren't happy he went off to play for England C and he may be down the pecking order as a result.

Perhaps they were just surprised he went to play for England C when he was supposed to be playing for the Albanian U-21s?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 10:04pm
Guest User

Yeah thanks for pointing that out.  
Reply: 32 - 34
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 11:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Perhaps they were just surprised he went to play for England C when he was supposed to be playing for the Albanian U-21s?  

Beat me to it - I was just thinking the same thing!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 34
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
What does she see in the Millionaire Mansfield Chairman???

Must be because he is well endowed...financially of course!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.