This thread currently has 6,813 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerdean
February 12, 2013, 11:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +23
He was being interviewed by Sky Sports News, and they asked him if he's ever been racially abused, he said 'when I was playing for Aston Villa, I was abused away at Grimsby, by a kid who was about 6 or 7 years old'
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimps
February 12, 2013, 11:44am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I remember Les Ferdinand saying the same.
He was asked about his time playing in Turkey and wether he had had racist abuse,he said he always used to get worse at Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 59
marinerdean
February 12, 2013, 11:45am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +23
Its disgraceful, no wonder people don't like coming here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
grimps
February 12, 2013, 11:49am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
No its not !
They are talking about games from 20 years ago.
I expect plenty of other clubs had the same problems back then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
wigworld
February 12, 2013, 12:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
It's a bit worrying that they seem to specifically mention Grimsby. Hopefully that's all behind us now.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 59
Gainsbro_Mariner
February 12, 2013, 12:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
I think we are used a lot in terms of describing somewhere unattractive, unfancied and horrible, I think its in the name   I seem to recall numerous managers or players saying "we don't want to be going to Grimsby on a Novembers night next season" , its if we are the very end of the universe to where no one wants to be.  

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 59
ginnywings
February 12, 2013, 12:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from grimps
No its not !
They are talking about games from 20 years ago.
I expect plenty of other clubs had the same problems back then

I heard some refer to LJL with the N word on Saturday as if it was everyday talk. It still goes on and Grimsby isn't the most forward thinking of places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
excusebeef
February 12, 2013, 12:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
Given the fact that when I was in secondary school I only knew one black kid in the whole school speaks volumes. Similiarly when I reached 18/19 and started drinking I don't recall many other skin tones out and about. It wasn't until I moved away from the town you realise we were in the minority really. No wonder the town is as backwards as it is in places (although slowly improving). It's the lack of exposure to other cultures and ethnicities from a young age and growing up with people from different backgrounds that changes people's perceptions and you build tolerance/understanding. I hate to say it but moving away opened my eyes to a lot of good things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 12, 2013, 12:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
I recall the 80's when Sunderland came and fans were singing the disgusting 'N' word at Gary Bennett throughout the game in unison. I was a teenager and its stuck with me ever since. I have been to football all over the country and that is the single worst incident of racism that I have heard. On saying that the times were different and although clubs like ours have moved on somewhat after watching Sky Sports News the small  minority of Millwall supporters clearly have not.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
highcliff mariner
February 12, 2013, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from excusebeef
Given the fact that when I was in secondary school I only knew one black kid in the whole school speaks volumes. Similiarly when I reached 18/19 and started drinking I don't recall many other skin tones out and about. It wasn't until I moved away from the town you realise we were in the minority really. No wonder the town is as backwards as it is in places (although slowly improving). It's the lack of exposure to other cultures and ethnicities from a young age and growing up with people from different backgrounds that changes people's perceptions and you build tolerance/understanding. I hate to say it but moving away opened my eyes to a lot of good things.

Agreed. My thoughts exactly

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ugo Ehiogu

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.