grimps
December 12, 2012, 9:01am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,182
Gold Stars: 47
I was bored at work reading the Guardian and the Mail online like I do most days,I like to read the readers comments on some of the articles and noticed in many of the Guardian comments that the word racist was used .
I then decided to do a quick search of the site and found that it had been used 179000 plus times,I decided then to do the same thing on the Mail site ,it had been used 5700 odd times on there.
This proves to me which readers prefer to use the word ,why do you think that is ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
andygtfc247
December 12, 2012, 9:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
See what response you get for rimming!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
jock dock tower
December 12, 2012, 10:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from grimps
I was bored at work reading the Guardian and the Mail online like I do most days,I like to read the readers comments on some of the articles and noticed in many of the Guardian comments that the word racist was used .
I then decided to do a quick search of the site and found that it had been used 179000 plus times,I decided then to do the same thing on the Mail site ,it had been used 5700 odd times on there.
This proves to me which readers prefer to use the word ,why do you think that is ?

It's not rocket science, is it? One newspaper reports factual news and is owned by a trust fund, so isn't answered to either megalomaniac owners or shareholders, the other's the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail is owned, ans been owned by the Rothermere family for well over 100 years. The Rothermeres were notorious owners, printing the false Zinoviev letter in the run up to the 1924 General Election, which is generally considered to have cost the Labour Party that election.

In the 1930's, Lord Rothermere - an avowed fascist - courted both Hitler and Mussolini. He also backed Oswald Moseley and his fascist blackshirt party who tried to mirror Hitler in this country. He backed them with front page headlines and supportive stories, and also financially too. Much of the paper's reporting at the time was the same kind of sensationalist nonsense you see on their front pages even today. They know it sells papers, so aren't going to change a style that's suited them for so long.

As I've said on here before the only time I ever look at the paper is to get the football results when abroad. I now have an i-pad so thankfully I don't have to do that any more. I do enjoy political debates with Daily Mail readers though, and ditto Daily Express ones. No doubt they enjoy the rants of a seasoned Grauniad reader as well

Anyway, to get back to the original post, it's hardly surprising about the instance of the word racist in the Daily Mail given the owning family's history?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
grimps
December 12, 2012, 10:07am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
4 in the Mail -4172 in the Guardian  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
grimps
December 12, 2012, 10:15am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower

It's not rocket science, is it? One newspaper reports factual news and is owned by a trust fund, so isn't answered to either megalomaniac owners or shareholders, the other's the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail is owned, ans been owned by the Rothermere family for well over 100 years. The Rothermeres were notorious owners, printing the false Zinoviev letter in the run up to the 1924 General Election, which is generally considered to have cost the Labour Party that election.

In the 1930's, Lord Rothermere - an avowed fascist - courted both Hitler and Mussolini. He also backed Oswald Moseley and his fascist blackshirt party who tried to mirror Hitler in this country. He backed them with front page headlines and supportive stories, and also financially too. Much of the paper's reporting at the time was the same kind of sensationalist nonsense you see on their front pages even today. They know it sells papers, so aren't going to change a style that's suited them for so long.

As I've said on here before the only time I ever look at the paper is to get the football results when abroad. I now have an i-pad so thankfully I don't have to do that any more. I do enjoy political debates with Daily Mail readers though, and ditto Daily Express ones. No doubt they enjoy the rants of a seasoned Grauniad reader as well

Anyway, to get back to the original post, it's hardly surprising about the instance of the word racist in the Daily Mail given the owning family's history?

I read both and to be fair the Guardian has some good atricles in it ,I think most of the Racist's was probably used to try and win an argument be some of its readers than the actual newspapers writers .A bit like you like to scream Tory to try and win some of yours eh Jock ?
I see one comment today which was the one that actually  inpsired me to do the search.It was from a disabled guy that said he welcomed immigration as many of his carers had been immigrants and they had given him an insight into many countries that he wouldnt have been able to visit.He then went onto say that he thought now due to the high numbers of imigrants over the last few years that it might be a good idea to slow the tide a little.
underneath one of the Guardian types had commented that he must be a racist and that he was just using the black friend line  
I love the Mail comments too mainly becuase you get alot more world opinion of what they think of us brits
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
grimsby pete
December 12, 2012, 10:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from grimps

I think you should get on with your work  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Manchester Mariner
December 12, 2012, 2:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 41
I've noticed a fair few comedians, Dave Gorman and Stewart Lee being two I have seen in the past year who have taken quotes from the Daily Mail Online comments and used it for material, it really is comedy gold.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Southwark Mariner
December 13, 2012, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I've noticed a fair few comedians, Dave Gorman and Stewart Lee being two I have seen in the past year who have taken quotes from the Daily Mail Online comments and used it for material, it really is comedy gold.

reminds me of Stewart Lee's Top Gear standup and some of their comments

[youtube]w0i0RXMvzMs[/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
alvinghammariner
December 13, 2012, 1:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
kingofthekippers
December 13, 2012, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from jock dock tower

It's not rocket science, is it? One newspaper prints material that isn't always accurate (re the News of the World and the phone hacking scandal), is owned by a trust fund, so isn't answered to either megalomaniac owners or shareholders but while knocking capitalism only exists due to a very capitalistic investment in a magazine that sells second hand cars, the other's the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail is owned, and has been owned by the Rothermere family for well over 100 years. The Rothermeres were notorious owners, printing the false Zinoviev letter in the run up to the 1924 General Election, which is generally considered to have cost the Labour Party that election and 88 years later it appears some still haven't got over it. For the record, at the last election the Guardian endorsed the Liberal Democrats.

Corrected it for you Jock.

For all its' faults (and its ability to provide comedy material) the Daily Mail probably reflects the thoughts of a significantly large number of people in this country given that 1.8m copies are sold a day, compared to the 200,000 copies that the Guardian somehow persuades people to give money for.

I haven't read the Mail for some years now (I read the Times - "Boo Hiss! Murdoch lackey!" I hear Jock cry) but whilst some liberal 'right-on' papers where devoting pages to attacking the police for institutional racism only one newspaper campaigned to get justice for Stephen Lawrence and to see his murderers imprisoned for their crime.

The paper concerned? Why, it was that 'bigoted racist prejudiced' rag called the Daily Mail.*

*Guardian readers don't like you knowing this.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Guardian and the Mail

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.