Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 5 years!!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 72 Guests

5 years!!

This thread currently has 1,213 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
November 15, 2012, 4:37pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Tragic case this,  but can`t help but think that 5 years in prison for the train guard involved is a tad over the top when you put it into the context of some prison sentences.

Rather surprising also that the personal responsibility of not being drunk around trains and that the obvious parental deficiencies at work here weren't mentioned by the judge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20339630

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
November 15, 2012, 5:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin
Tragic case this,  but can`t help but think that 5 years in prison for the train guard involved is a tad over the top when you put it into the context of some prison sentences.

Rather surprising also that the personal responsibility of not being drunk around trains and that the obvious parental deficiencies at work here weren't mentioned by the judge.

Yes tragic indeed, I work for the railway and safety is paramount on our job for obvious reasons, If we get told of any trespasses etc we have to caution the driver accordingly through the required section, There does need to be more awareness with regards to not going near the rails or crossing abuse (which at Pasture street, Wellowgate, Garden street and Littlefield lane happens everyday) I do think railway operators and Network rail need to up the safety awareness campaign because at the minute people are taking no notice, Put it this way if a train hits you it turns your bone to mush.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
jamesgtfc
November 15, 2012, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,105
Gold Stars: 190
Feel sorry for the guy jailed - but if intoxication cannot be used as a defence for a crime committed surely it cannot be used as defence for the victim?

I think the best way of cracking down on underage drinking is to punish those who issue the alcohol to them - as they are responsible for her death in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
gymadman
November 15, 2012, 6:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
The guard was negligent, the teenage victim was drunk with traces of drugs found in her system, her mother states it's what all teenagers do, No it is not, it is tragic ..it was neglect by the guard,but the poor victim put herself at risk, only losers in a case like this, if only the youth of today would understand the risks they take....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
FishOutOfWater
November 16, 2012, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
The thing that gets me about manslaughter is that this guy took a chance on the girl's safety which backfired with fatal consequences but thugs and idiots who mindlessly kill and mutilate get their murder pleas reduced to manslaughter too...

How can the two be compared? When this guy went to work he didn't set out to cause someone to lose their life but the losers who fancy their chances by mugging and kicking peoples heads in get the same justice?

Something wrong there imho
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 12
voice of reason
November 16, 2012, 5:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah 5 years, way too long....???? He'll be out after 2.5, erm, I don't think she'll be coming back...

Parental deficiencies, what do you mean??? I'm lost by that comment...

Agree RE: being drunk around trains... Like it or not though, people don't always act in a way that, we see, as rational... This man has a responsibility to prevent these things from happening, he failed and no excuses about someone else's actions ect, all he had to do was delay the train...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Alfie
November 17, 2012, 1:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Les Brechin

Wow, what a disgustingly insensitive and pretty unsubstantiated comment.

Actually agree with this as a whole but that's a pretty remarkable thing to assume. How many kids at that age do you think are drinking and may have tried MDNA (a drug up until a few years ago was a legal high in the UK)? Do all those parents have 'deficiencies at work'?

Crass is an understatement...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
scrumble
November 17, 2012, 8:55am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
you'd be happy about your sixteen year old daughter being drunk, drugged up and wandering around Liverpool on her own at midnight?

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Les Brechin
November 17, 2012, 8:55am

Quoted from Alfie

Wow, what a disgustingly insensitive and pretty unsubstantiated comment.

Actually agree with this as a whole but that's a pretty remarkable thing to assume. How many kids at that age do you think are drinking and may have tried MDNA (a drug up until a few years ago was a legal high in the UK)? Do all those parents have 'deficiencies at work'?

Crass is an understatement...

Allowing your daughter who has only just turned 16 to get stoned out of her head on drink and drugs is hardly responsible parenting and the fact that everyone of that age does it, is hardly a defence really. It just seems to me that the authorities have taken the easy way out and laid the entire blame at the train guards feet, rather that finding out the real reasons as to why this tragedy happened. What about the people who were illegally supplying an underage girl with drink and drugs, how long have they been sentenced too.

Maybe he does deserve a 5 year sentence for his obvious neglect of the girls safety but there was a recent case where a drunk driver had killed 2 innocent people in a car crash and he got 2 years inside for manslaughter. In that context I just think that a 5 year sentence does seem rather harsh.

I do feel sorry for the girls family, nobody should have to lose a child.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
mariner91
November 17, 2012, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from Les Brechin

Allowing your daughter who has only just turned 16 to get stoned out of her head on drink and drugs is hardly responsible parenting and the fact that everyone of that age does it, is hardly a defence really. It just seems to me that the authorities have taken the easy way out and laid the entire blame at the train guards feet, rather that finding out the real reasons as to why this tragedy happened. What about the people who were illegally supplying an underage girl with drink and drugs, how long have they been sentenced too.

Maybe he does deserve a 5 year sentence for his obvious neglect of the girls safety but there was a recent case where a drunk driver had killed 2 innocent people in a car crash and he got 2 years inside for manslaughter. In that context I just think that a 5 year sentence does seem rather harsh.

Pretty sweeping statement!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
Les Brechin
November 17, 2012, 10:24am

Quoted from mariner91

Pretty sweeping statement!

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. People are using that as a reason, which in my opinion is totally wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
voice of reason
November 17, 2012, 1:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from Les Brechin

FFS, what makes you think they knew she was out getting drunk and stoned???

Are you blind to the circumstances??? The real reasons are there for all to see, what are you missing??? He let the train go when he shouldn't... The blame has been laid at his door, not because it was the 'easy way out' but because that's were it belongs... Many factors contributed to the potential disaster but the only thing that caused it was - he let the train go, if he hadn't, she would still be here...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
Alfie
November 17, 2012, 1:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Les Brechin

Again, a massive, massive assumption.

I'd wager that they probably didn't know how drunk she was getting or that she was taking MD so to just try and lay blame at their feet when in reality, i'd guess they would've actually been pretty disappointed in her if they knew beforehand.

Just because a child of 16 and a half doesn't do what is expected of them or how their parents want them to behave doesn't mean there's 'parental deficiencies at work'. Bloody naive view and means about half of the parenting population suffer from such 'deficiencies' if so.  

That's the only point I take difference to here.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 5 years!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.