This thread currently has 2,454 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Teds Lad
November 15, 2012, 2:27pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +61
Just reported on BBC.Co.Uk/Sport  -  is this a surprise to anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
brigg_mariner
November 15, 2012, 2:52pm

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20339688

Wages of 3.7million.
Income of 3.2million.

Daft wages for that level.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
RoboCod
November 15, 2012, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Think it's Marinerz93 that predicted something like this ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Southwark Mariner
November 15, 2012, 3:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
I think there should be a requirement for players registered with clubs to have contracts that go down if the club is relegated. A club stuck paying a player for 3 years on a division higher's wage structure is a nightmare.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
RonMariner
November 15, 2012, 3:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,889
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I think there should be a requirement for players registered with clubs to have contracts that go down if the club is relegated. A club stuck paying a player for 3 years on a division higher's wage structure is a nightmare.

There is no reason why clubs couldn't do that, in fact I believe many already do have relagation clauses in their player contracts.

Scunny look like they are re running our recent history......punch above their weight for a few years, bring in players they can't afford to try and compete, slide down the league, make huge losses,......they could well be in the BSP in a few years......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Southwark Mariner
November 15, 2012, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from RonMariner

There is no reason why clubs couldn't do that, in fact I believe many already do have relagation clauses in their player contracts.

what I mean is make it an FA rule
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Grim up north
November 15, 2012, 5:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RonMariner

Scunny look like they are re running our recent history......punch above their weight for a few years, bring in players they can't afford to try and compete, slide down the league, make huge losses,......they could well be in the BSP in a few years......

The year that happens tell Santa I don't want anything else for Xmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
jimgtfc
November 15, 2012, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,124
Gold Stars: 46
It seems as though they rely on selling a Billy Sharp or a Gary Hooper for a couple of million quid every year or 2, just to sustain a big wage bill. Very risky business stratergy.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Marinerz93
November 15, 2012, 6:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RoboCod
Think it's Marinerz93 that predicted something like this ?

Thanks RoboCod I was told by someone close to the heart of the club that it was verging on the abyss and this was due to Wharton wanting out and no one wanting to take over.  I mentioned this on a thread about Lincoln likely to go bust and I said it was the Scunts were more likely for the reasons stated.  

The funny thing is they can't afford a league one team on the gates they get for team performing below mid table.  Laws will more than likely keep the up but ultimately he could see them in a worse financial hole than the one they are in at the minute.  Wharton is desperate to get out and will give his shares away to anyone who will take over.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesusā€™ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Limerick Mariner
November 15, 2012, 9:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,781
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from RonMariner

Not quite the same Ron. We ran a pretty balanced budget and albeit dependent on a vastly inflated TV deal. Once ITVdigital went bust then we had players we couldn't afford and we had to let them go to avoid administration, unlike the cheating feckers up the road from me at King Prawn Stadium who signed one of our high earners - Danny Coyne but still went into admininstration.

Not sure how Scunny fecked up so badly. Maybe they budgeted on bigger crowds. Up until this season they had pretty good season ticket numbers but then sold hardly any matchday tickets apart from away fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Lose £2 Million

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.