Abdul19
November 10, 2012, 11:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from barralad

No mention of Niven? H and S got lucky because Niven came on...

They sent him on. They could quite easily have sent on Artus or Southwell instead.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
rancido
November 11, 2012, 5:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from siy2k5

Some people just aren't happy unless they're moaning

We've just won 5-1, sit 2nd in the league, with another home game next week...can we have just a ickle bit of positivity...or is that too much to ask? :/

It's very hard to find a post from The Old Codger that is positive about the club , the team or the managers.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2012, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

It's very hard to find a post from The Old Codger that is positive about the club , the team or the managers.

There have been several - today included - I try to be constructive and as such, having watched both teams warm up, could see why Woking started so well. Their pre-match routines and approach was so much more professional than ours and having listened to Paul Hurst state that we needed to start brighter could see exactly why we didn't.

There are several positives from yesterday - Cook, Thanoj & Marshall in particular - but if we start like that against a team that can defend a bit (by their own admission Woking can't), we would struggle to get back in. Yes, we won 5-1, but we looked second best for 20 minutes against 10 men.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
brad_gtfc
November 11, 2012, 5:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Why not put Hatton on corners, obviously got good technique.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
barralad
November 11, 2012, 6:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Why not put Hatton on corners, obviously got good technique.

The angles not great....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
80sglory
November 12, 2012, 12:38am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Yes, we won 5-1, but we looked second best for 20 minutes against 10 men.

It's a good point but just wonder if you're being a tiny bit harsh saying "2nd best" ?

In the post match interview Hurst mentioned about fans wanting to take the game to Woking more when they were down to 10 men.
I even got impatient myself but do appreciate Hurst's logic (even if I'm not convinced) about keeping things tight, keeping our shape etc to stop them getting back into it (or whatever he said).

I'm certainly not sure it's wise to risk doing it per se against 11 men or the very best teams when you're a goal up.
The more you allow the other team to have the ball, the more confidence they could get and more risk you'll concede if THEY'VE got the ball.
Not just that but there's a danger Town players go into defensive mode and through the motions. (though at the very least you're conserving energy).

Rightly or wrongly I think Hurst is a "safety first" kind of chap but don't think it's always safe to defend even if you might be able to hit them on the counter like vs Luton.
Or perhaps I'm unfairly thinking back to the days of Woods etc when our defence wasn't arguably as tight as it is now ?

I personally think we might have gone for the jugular at 3-1 with 10 men but it's swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Think there's definitely something to work on with us controlling and killing off games.
Think it we'd have scored quickly at 3-1 with 10 men, it's entirely possible we could have been presiding over an 8-1 instead of a 5-1.
But equally it could also have been 3-2 and a potential nightmare even though we should really have more than enough to deal with it.
Easy to say but we've seen how a goal can dampen our confidence before.
Guess we need to work on that too although tbf we've shown we can bounce back.
Reply: 15 - 31
oldun
November 12, 2012, 2:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Is it me? Or is passing back at the kick off a bad move. It happened on sat with the ball being played back to our right back position. We then struggled to get it into the opposition half and gave them the initiative and of course they scored before we  even got going. Might it not be better to get the ball forward, possibly to our wide players straight from the kick off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
Maringer
November 12, 2012, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
Their goal actually came with Colbeck off the pitch injured behind their goal-line after losing out in a challenge with their defender. Therefore, the ball had been right at their end of the pitch before they scored so I'm not sure that passing back to our full-back was really much of a problem!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
80sglory
November 12, 2012, 3:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from oldun
Is it me? Or is passing back at the kick off a bad move. It happened on sat with the ball being played back to our right back position. We then struggled to get it into the opposition half and gave them the initiative and of course they scored before we  even got going. Might it not be better to get the ball forward, possibly to our wide players straight from the kick off?

You mean the old "drop kick" ?  
Reply: 18 - 31
cmackenzie4
November 12, 2012, 4:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from oldun

I agree with this, Also town also seem to struggle to keep hold of the ball, giving it away far to easily which like you say oldun gives the opposition the initiative, I noticed this saturday.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.