Chrisblor
November 5, 2012, 4:06pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 243
I thought he was pretty impressive for a youngster when he was here. One of my friends played football against him growing up in Suffolk quite regularly and said he ran rings around everyone. I do remember the Fishy consensus on him was that he wasn't great at the time though.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Maringer
November 5, 2012, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
I seem to remember that he didn't exactly seem to want to bust a gut at any point. He obviously had some ability and was an imposing physical specimen but was lacking a certain something. Reminds me of a lower-division Huddlestone, to tell the truth. Too much strolling, not enough running.

It is possible to be a good ball player yet still get around the pitch well, working hard for your team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Chrisblor
November 5, 2012, 4:29pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 243
Quoted from Maringer
I seem to remember that he didn't exactly seem to want to bust a gut at any point. He obviously had some ability and was an imposing physical specimen but was lacking a certain something. Reminds me of a lower-division Huddlestone, to tell the truth. Too much strolling, not enough running.

It is possible to be a good ball player yet still get around the pitch well, working hard for your team.

On the other hand its possible to be a good classy footballer without 'putting a shift in' every game.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Abdul19
November 5, 2012, 9:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Talent + hard work + good coaching, I suppose.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
aldi_01
November 5, 2012, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Also at the higher end of football it isn't about just being able to run a lot. The ability to spot a pass and be thee or four moves in front of the oppo is usually the difference.

When he was at town he was in possibly the worst town side ever and knew that unlike many of those misfits, lazy girl privates and couldn't give a shits he could do just enough and that he would only progress.

Throw with this some good loan spells at a couple of other clubs and good coaching and surprise surprise the guy had turned out well.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
TownSNAFU5
November 5, 2012, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Besides other qualities a player needs luck and timing.  Life is about timing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
porkies
November 5, 2012, 10:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +2 / -1
He was fortunate enough to be spotted by Nigel Adkins and his spell at Scunthorpe was the making of him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Maringer
November 5, 2012, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
I'm not saying that a player is no good if he isn't all blood and thunder on the pitch, just that the likes of Huddlestone/Sweeney/Trotter (perhaps?) don't make the best of their undoubted ability with the ball because they are too often happy to sit back and admire one of their passes.

Most of the best midfielders around at present play for Barcelona. They are all incredibly skilful and classy but also work their mammaries off so it's no coincidence that they are so successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
valiant on tour
November 5, 2012, 11:36pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
not good enough for prem full stop  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
coddy60
November 6, 2012, 1:44am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from valiant on tour
not good enough for prem full stop  

And neither are Southampton, cant see Fulham going in for him...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Liam Trotter

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.