barralad
November 4, 2012, 10:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600
Certainly funny how opinions can differ !
On this one I'll trust someone who can criticize but can also give credit where it's due.

One question if I may barra, you say " just doesn't look like what we need in front of goal".

Do you believe there's anything to the/my theory that if he's playing the "hold up" role he's less likely to score or get chances to score because he's more "provider" ?
Or does he have arguably enough chances already and perhaps just doesn't cut the mustard in the long term (possibly regardless of what happens) ?

tbh I'm still confused whether he "missed a sitter" or not.
But do wonder if some fans sometimes over-complain at strikers even if they don't have (or are unable to create for themselves) goalscoring opportunities.

I'm not entirely sure who he is playing the "hold up" role for. Hannah?? Does playing the hold up role exclude you from trying to get amongst it in the penalty area? I think (although the next time I see him I may change my mind!) that he doesn't have the strikers instincts in front of goal. It's funny because last season I think that was where he was at his most dangerous. Did Hearn do so much for him in terms of taking players away from him that it masked this major shortcoming?  He doesn't gamble on the ball breaking in the box and he does miss a fair number of "sitters". As it happens I don't recall him missing "a sitter" yesterday but there were several occasions when the ball either got spilled/bounced off the keeper or a cross went all the way across the goal with Elding (nor Hannah for that matter) nowhere near it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
LukeyJ
November 4, 2012, 10:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / 0
intercourse me. Cook up until his goal has been ineffectual and he'll need a few more before we can consider him "in form". I would still start with Elding and Hannah for the pure fact that Hannah CAN score and Elding is the only striker we have to put pressure on the opposition defense. If you put pressure on average players, you'll show them up to be just that. It's easy to create good passes if you have hours on the ball and effectively Elding along with Niven are those players that will take away from a comfortable game for our opposition. Elding also has the same amount of goals as Cook with a lot less minutes.

If we get rid of Elding, I'm not confident we have the forwards at the club who are fit and can take us out of this leage. Not that Elding is amazing, but he's definately in our best 2 strikers right now. Maybe Cook is fighting his way back, but we can't bank on to it until we see proof. The players represent the managers and if they had any doubt that he wasn't contributing well enough, they wouldn't play him. Let's leave it to S + H rather than some emotive loyalty nonsense unless our aim is to maintain pride as a solid conference team for the next 10 years.

Elding like a number of players will probably read this forum, and when he steps on the field, the pressure will already be on as too many fans are waiting for him to slip up.

Support your team we may see some reward. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
80sglory
November 4, 2012, 10:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
I'm not entirely sure who he is playing the "hold up" role for. Hannah??

Anyone who's in close vicinity of the ball after he's won it or held it up I guess.
Though it does makes me wonder if he's really an effective "provider".
Although tbf I remember that 1 clever flick he made to Hannah when he was flagged offside.
Quoted from barralad
Does playing the hold up role exclude you from trying to get amongst it in the penalty area?

Obviously not but if you're there to win or hold the ball up further up field, guess you won't e.g. be sprinting to get in behind defenders to score on the run from e.g. longer balls or goals kicks.
Quoted from barralad
I think (although the next time I see him I may change my mind!) that he doesn't have the strikers instincts in front of goal. It's funny because last season I think that was where he was at his most dangerous. Did Hearn do so much for him in terms of taking players away from him that it masked this major shortcoming?  He doesn't gamble on the ball breaking in the box and he does miss a fair number of "sitters". As it happens I don't recall him missing "a sitter" yesterday but there were several occasions when the ball either got spilled/bounced off the keeper or a cross went all the way across the goal with Elding (nor Hannah for that matter) nowhere near it.

More interesting analysis thanks !
Guessing this point about Hearn could be a good one.
As for players not gambling in the box think it's been a phenomenon over the years at BP.
Reply: 32 - 49
80sglory
November 4, 2012, 10:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from LukeyJ
Maybe Cook is fighting his way back, but we can't bank on to it until we see proof.

And we (that's generally the fans) arguably won't get proof if he doesn't play. (not including any reserve games)
Therein lies part of the conundrum I suppose...
Quoted from LukeyJ
The players represent the managers and if they had any doubt that he wasn't contributing well enough, they wouldn't play him.

Well they might still play him if they had doubts too.
Did you see it was confirmed that Hurst admitted considering starting Pearson at Tamworth ?
Not that it means Elding would necessarily be sat on the bench but it's at least possible they've got their doubts too.
Reply: 33 - 49
chaos33
November 4, 2012, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,985
Gold Stars: 365
I think there's an over analysis of Elding, probably due in part, to his self-publicising style. For me, he can't live up to his own hype. I don't see him scoring or creating goals, but he's obviously having a positive impact in other aspects - probably Lukeyj has outlined it in is post - making life difficult for average defenders. In a sense, he's lucky that we don't have a better player to keep him out of the side. Whether he might lose his starting place to Cook following his goal remains to be seen, but Cook's been playing the role of 'impact sub' to good effect and the managers will have to decide which way to go with these two. Elding is really starting to polarise supporters at a time when you'd think we would be finding better reasons to 'come together'. Elding is neither as bad as his haters say, nor as good as he thinks.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
GodHelpUs
November 4, 2012, 11:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
You lot really need a boo boy don't you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
80sglory
November 4, 2012, 11:34pm
Guest User
Who's "you lot" ?

Reply: 36 - 49
GodHelpUs
November 5, 2012, 2:44am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Believe it or not 80s not everything revolves around you and despite the fact he has been critical of Elding, I wasn't being critical of Barra either. Just the ones who mindlessly and continuously abuse Elding on here because he had the audacity to request a transfer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
80sglory
November 5, 2012, 3:07am
Guest User
Didn't assume anything, I guess that's what you meant.
Just asking cos you weren't clear who you meant so didn't want you to get the wrong end of any sticks.
Reply: 38 - 49
Brisbane Mariner
November 5, 2012, 4:40am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Its still hard to listen on the radio and hear Tondeur going on about the lack of ability we have up front - he implies that we dont take enouigh chances so the notion of Elidng being ahold up guy is great in theory but we do not have a prolific scorer who is fit to play, the good thing is that we are having a decent season for once because of set pieces - usually a waste of time in seasons past but we are seemingly a threat this time round.

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.