mariner91
November 4, 2012, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

I think so: football is all about opinions and mine don't seem to agree with many when it comes to Mr Elding at the moment.

Did he turn into the 'whipping boy' as soon as he asked for a transfer or before I can't remember?

I would argue before. His finishing has been poor this year. But like you, I can see what he's trying to do most the time, its just very little of it is coming off as yet. Whether this is because he doesn't have the right partner, I don't know. But he certainly doesn't challenge for the ball as much as you'd want, ducking out of a lot of headers and the like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
rancido
November 4, 2012, 4:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Elding is more than capable of performing at this level and last season demonstrated this. Unfortunately the summer signing of two strikers appears to have put his nose out of joint. If he thinks that he should get an automatic place then he isn't the professional I thought he was.Any player has to fight for his place and you are only as good as your last performance. The managers were obviously disappointed that he put a transfer request in but it hasn't affected their attitude towards his selection - he certainly hasn't been " frozen out ". This, to me, shows that he is still part of their plans but he has to demonstrate that faith by performing on the pitch and making the most of the opportunities he gets. I think he will go out on loan in January and will be gone by the summer , which would be a shame to some degree as he has a lot to offer. Unfortunately ,for him, The Dynamic Duo don't suffer passengers and certainly don't want players who aren't prepared to " fight for the cause ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
tintowner
November 4, 2012, 4:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
The thing with Elding is that he is still getting into the right positions to score.... but once he's there there is no positive end product!

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
AndyGTFC
November 4, 2012, 5:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +807
Gold Stars: 5
I think it's harsh to say that he doesn't care, he's putting in just as much effort as he did last year. He's not and never has been a target man but he gives it a go. The obvious difference is that he isn't hitting the back of the net enough but the same can be said for pretty much all of our strikers so far.

Don't really see why we need topics singling players out right now though, not when we're doing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
BlackBoots
November 4, 2012, 8:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
I have no problem with him asking for a move. He has kept training hard otherwise i am sure Hurst and Scott wouldnt have considered him.

My main gripe is that I don't think he is good enough. I wasn't a huge fan last season either and he was given the freedom because the opposition focussed on double or even triple marking Liam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
barralad
November 4, 2012, 9:41pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from mariner91

I would argue before. His finishing has been poor this year. But like you, I can see what he's trying to do most the time, its just very little of it is coming off as yet. Whether this is because he doesn't have the right partner, I don't know. But he certainly doesn't challenge for the ball as much as you'd want, ducking out of a lot of headers and the like.

I'm definitely with MDT on this. I was sat two rows behind him. I didn't think I'd turn into Elding's supporter but yesterday he won far more headers than he lost. His distribution was better as well (when one of his team mates made themselves available to pass to!!) I didn't see him ducking out of too many headers.
He just doesn't look like what we need in front of goal. Cook comes on and scores a mucky goal and all his previous indiscretions are forgotten in an instant. Funny game this football.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
80sglory
November 4, 2012, 9:57pm
Guest User
Certainly funny how opinions can differ !
On this one I'll trust someone who can criticize but can also give credit where it's due.

One question if I may barra, you say " just doesn't look like what we need in front of goal".

Do you believe there's anything to the/my theory that if he's playing the "hold up" role he's less likely to score or get chances to score because he's more "provider" ?
Or does he have arguably enough chances already and perhaps just doesn't cut the mustard in the long term (possibly regardless of what happens) ?

tbh I'm still confused whether he "missed a sitter" or not.
But do wonder if some fans sometimes over-complain at strikers even if they don't have (or are unable to create for themselves) goalscoring opportunities.
Reply: 26 - 49
Swansea_Mariner
November 4, 2012, 10:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from 1600
Certainly funny how opinions can differ !

One question if I may barra, you say " just doesn't look like what we need in front of goal".

Do you believe there's anything to the/my theory that if he's playing the "hold up" role he's less likely to score or get chances to score because he's more "provider" ?
Or does he have arguably enough chances already and perhaps just doesn't cut the mustard in the long term (possibly regardless of what happens) ?

Playing the hold up role didn't really stop Gary Jones scoring goals but then again Gary Jones was an exceptional player at League 2 level whilst Elding is merely a passable Blue Square player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
80sglory
November 4, 2012, 10:10pm
Guest User
Fair point !
My only remaining question would be whether Jones got better service than Elding or not ?
Not that Elding hasn't had chances in the past of course, but like I said I wonder if some games he just doesn't get any chance to redeem himself.
Reply: 28 - 49
80sglory
November 4, 2012, 10:13pm
Guest User
Swansea Mariner out of interest why did you remove the line where I was agreeing with barralad from your quote ?
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.