Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Striker, why?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 101 Guests

New Striker, why?

This thread currently has 3,713 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Super Clive
August 24, 2012, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Ah cheers mate, haven't read the telegraph yet.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
petethemariner
August 24, 2012, 10:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from lowerfindus

You don't score goals if you don't create chances. Who creates chances? Midfield perhaps? Attacking fullbacks? Decent set pieces?

Quite right, even Van Persie, Torres, Rooney and Messi  would struggle to score goals in
our side judged on the 'tactics' seen so far this season, OK no-one has been impressed with Cook (who was a proven scorer in the same league last season) or Greg Pearson, but it is difficult to impress with the ball 3 feet above your head.
My personal opinion and many will disagree,is that S & H are getting less impressive as time goes on,
instead of the other way round, they now seem to be wallowing around in some sort of desperate panic,
with no tactical nous and just cliches after every game, lets just remember that the squad of GTFC players we currently have are their singings and the buck stops with them.
Please prove me wrong Rop/Paul!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
lowerfindus
August 24, 2012, 10:51am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from petethemariner

Quite right, even Van Persie, Torres, Rooney and Messi  would struggle to score goals in
our side judged on the 'tactics' seen so far this season, OK no-one has been impressed with Cook (who was a proven scorer in the same league last season) or Greg Pearson, but it is difficult to impress with the ball 3 feet above your head.
My personal opinion and many will disagree,is that S & H are getting less impressive as time goes on,
instead of the other way round, they now seem to be wallowing around in some sort of desperate panic,
with no tactical nous and just cliches after every game, lets just remember that the squad of GTFC players we currently have are their singings and the buck stops with them.
Please prove me wrong Rop/Paul!

Exactly what I am seeing, spot on.

Cook , in preseason looked like he could be useful if we play to his strengths. Pearson for me looks like a one trick pony. If the ball isn't there for him to run on to he is going to struggle. Elding for me is a good all round striker if not quite as prolific as he should be. Southwell is unproven but promising.

The bottom line is they assembled these strikers and now need to show a bit of faith in them and adjust the tactics to get the best from them.

From what I have seen since these two have come in would suggest that they are not capable of making that adjustment.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
pontoonlew
August 24, 2012, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
I think the reason we need a new striker is the fact all 3 of our senior strikers (Southwell is still learning) are here to play with a player like Hearn. Each of them play a slightly different role but none of them play the instinctive pacy striker roll. We NEED that to have any success, we've seen plenty of times what two target men produce and our front make Gary Jones look like Usain Bolt at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
lowerfindus
August 24, 2012, 11:02am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
If you want pace then use soares or Colbeck, Pearson isn't slow. Agree cook and Elding aren't the fastest but they assembled the squad they have to utilise it to be beneficial to the side. A stronger midfield would without doubt provide better support and chances for the remaining strikers. This obsession with strikers is resembling Newells "Josh Magennis" syndrome that struck before the axe fell.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Codzilla
August 24, 2012, 2:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Exactly. We have enough strikers. If they're not good enough to score goals they shouldn't have been signed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
BlackBoots
August 24, 2012, 2:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
I see it as a question of balance.

We need someone who can 'run in behind defences. Elding, Cook and Pearson dont appear to be this type of player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
pontoonlew
August 24, 2012, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Codzilla
Exactly. We have enough strikers. If they're not good enough to score goals they shouldn't have been signed!

They are good enough, they just don't look like they can play together. Daft comment anyway, if your not scoring goals and you can sign a striker you don't just say 'tough'. You do your best to rectify problems, surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
Codzilla
August 24, 2012, 2:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Quoted from BlackBoots
I see it as a question of balance.

We need someone who can 'run in behind defences. Elding, Cook and Pearson dont appear to be this type of player

So they've signed 3 strikers with the same attributes. Why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
August 24, 2012, 2:41pm
Guest User
It's clear the goalscoring problem is the supply. If we had Alan Shearer in his pomp up front he wouldn't get many in this team as we don't appear to have a clue. Aside from Colbeck, I haven't seen anyone running beyond the opponents back four and trying to get in behind them. We have been woeful, really really bad.

Honestly, I'm close to giving up. I've been on a right downer all week and it's not like me. I wish the season hadn't started at all.
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Striker, why?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.