5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
aaron rattray
August 11, 2012, 9:02pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Thing is, we have supposedly the best left back in the league and other best defenders ect but we still make basic mistakes

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
chaos33
August 11, 2012, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
It wasn't the left back who made the mistake was it. It was the right back. Other than that, you're right....stupid, basic mistake,

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
cod.gtfc
August 11, 2012, 9:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from aaron rattray
Thing is, we have supposedly the best left back in the league and other best defenders ect but we still make basic mistakes

Whoever thinks we have the best defenders in the league dosn't know much about the other teams in our league.

A point away from home, first game of the season is a good start and I would have taken it if offered before the game. Now bring on the wins at home for 7 points from 9!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
Chrisblor
August 11, 2012, 9:17pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 243
Quoted from voice of reason
Unreal some of you lot... I take it none of you have made a mistake??? A point at Southport isn't ideal but it'll do to start the season off... Give it a few games, at least, before we start writing the season off...

I don't think anyone is writing the season off, but in the context of the game it's a hard result to take. Town only have themselves to blame for pissing away 3 points there.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
chaos33
August 11, 2012, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
Absolutlely. I though Rob Scott was quite magnanimous in his comments. Personally, I'm drunk off that a player who has been known for rash challenges and indiscipline, makes the same mistake AGAIN, needlessly giving away a dangerous free-kick that led to an undeserved equaliser. This lesson should have been well learned by this player now. You want to believe that this is a new team and that old mistakes have been erraidicated, but to sit deep, make an error like this and concede the inevitable late equaliser from a winning position is sickening in my book, even though it is a decent result on paper.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
pseudonym
August 11, 2012, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from voice of reason
Unreal some of you lot... I take it none of you have made a mistake??? A point at Southport isn't ideal but it'll do to start the season off... Give it a few games, at least, before we start writing the season off...
More stupidity than a mistake. Wood was man of the match in my opinion

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
bradzmilne
August 11, 2012, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Just got in, overall i thought we defended over the course of 87 minutes very well, one silly mistake and we draw. But i think a part of the reason i think we defended so well as a unit was because of how deep nivern and disley were playing, thats great for defending but going forward them 2 were to far down the field to create anything from 9 out of 10 attacks.

Think both cook and pearson could be very useful, aslong as they dont play together. Unfortunally there is a distinct lack of pace between them - so it was just hoof after hoof aiming towards them in hope they could create something. Although the majority of the time they won it, there wasnt anyone really to flick it onto, stick them along side a pacey striker it will be a very differant story.

The thing that frustrated me most though was Colbeck. It wasnt that he played particularly poorly but all pre-season he ran at defenders scarying them, and his been one hell of a player doing that. Today he just wasnt direct enough when running with the ball making him not very effective.

But all in all,
Season arnt won or lost after the first game, Roll on tuesday!

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
AndyGTFC
August 11, 2012, 10:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +807
Gold Stars: 5
We were decent today, not amazing or anything but we were definitely the better team. Had a lot of possession in the first half without creating much but upped it in the second half, looked a lot more threatening and managed to get the goal.

Southport were lucky to get the equaliser because that was the only chance they had. Was a poor mistake from Wood to give away the free kick for the goal. We've given away leads a lot over the past couple of years and it is something we need to try and sort out. Think we probably sit back a bit too much instead of just playing our normal game.

Would've been fairly satisfied with a point beforehand but obviously it's always annoying to lose a lead so late on.  There are things to work on but there were some promising signs there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
FishOutOfWater
August 11, 2012, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,588
Gold Stars: 37
I'm not disheartened by the outcome but would of course have been made up if we hadn't conceded near the end...typical another ex Town player scores against us too

I thought overall our second half performance was good enough to have won the game but two mistakes cost us...one was the free kick being given away in the first place by Brad and then the slack marking which allowed Grand to get a more or less free header on target

Personally of the new additions, I was really pleased with Aswad, my man of the match and Greg Pearson too

Cook tried his best but maybe tried too hard..a goal could settle him

JC was ok overall out wide and I thought a goal was nailed on from one cross he put over...

All in all not a bad day out...a good turnout in the sun and I'd have gladly taken a point before the start

We've got past a hardish game without a major glitch (apart from their goal) so onwards and upwards with a positive frame of mind!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 40
moosey_club
August 11, 2012, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
Southport = poor, offered virtually zero going forward and tired mid way into the second half until we scored.  

Town= pretty poor first half, effort but little guile. A couple of half chances and only real opportunities looked like coming from corners/ set pieces.
Second half we took advantage of their tired spell and created two very good chances and started to work the ball wide rather than launching it.
Goal was deserved for a prolonged period of pressure. Then we sat back and they woke up.

Wood made a stupid decision, Pond didnt mark and they scored their only opportunity of the game.

Wood however up until that point had looked relatively untroubled by their star player Whalley and by Bakare when they switched things...until that is Colbeck was moved up top and Soares came on. Colbeck had backed Wood up well but Soares was no where near for the events leading upto the goal. Wood should have cleared but didnt, we should have defended better but we didnt.

I dont believe anybody played particularly badly today but would mention Niven for excellent work in breaking up play and for covering ground, one in particular when he was heavily involved around their box but when they countered he was back in our box to take the ball of the strikers toe after Pond had failed to deal.
S.Pearson was pretty much faultless.

2 points lost but one point better off than last season..progress !! UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.