Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1 Out 1 In.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 55 Guests

1 Out 1 In.

This thread currently has 6,056 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Rick12
August 6, 2012, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Tommy
That is true kevikov. From what I've seen so far I would be very comfortable with any of the squad in the starting XI. They're all capable, and changes to the team shouldn't weaken us too much if at all. Whereas last year this definitely wasn't the case.
out of interest Tommy whats your prediction for where we finish this season

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
chaos33
August 6, 2012, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,985
Gold Stars: 365
Classic fishy thread - childish threats and squabbling, people reacting in extreme ways, folk putting two and two together and making five, taking quotes out of context, laughable misunderstanding and sprinkled with the good old 'take it from me - I have the inside track' (totally unsubstantiated of course). Jeez. Can't we just be calm, balanced and have a bit of patience. All in good time.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
Tommy
August 7, 2012, 12:03am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Rick12
out of interest Tommy whats your prediction for where we finish this season

I reckon 5th or 6th. Hopefully its the right side of that play-offs line.

We could even better that if we get a decent start though, as I'd expect us to get stronger as the season goes on.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
TheCurlyMariner12
August 7, 2012, 3:33am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from AdamHaddock
If anyone is likely to be loaned out short term, to free up some wages it may be Artus. Central midfield is crowded with Niven, Disley and Thanoj seeming to be S&H's favourties while Soares has the left wing spot.

But Southwell may also be sent to Boston or Gansborough for a month or two.

I wouldnt say 3 CM is crowded? If S&H still decide to go with 4-3-3 or use it as a back up, they'll need at least 4 CM, i dont see Artus going anywhere personally.

UTM !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
rancido
August 7, 2012, 10:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,704
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Tommy
Can everyone please read Rancido's post on page two. He seems to be the only one with any sense to read the full article rather than take a small quote and go with it.

Surely Hurst clearly says they are looking to start with what they've now got, or with one more. Then further to that it would probably have to be one out before any further additions.

Thanx Tommy - its not rocket science though is it, to read the full article like you have.
As for the speculation about who would go out on loan, if it comes to it  then my thoughts are as follows.If The Dynamic Duo had any doubts about Artus then they wouldn't have offered him a new deal this summer , the same applies to Southwell. I would imagine the playing budget would allow for one more senior player bringing the squad up to 20. If , as the season progresses and somebody looks like they could be a weak link , then obviously somebody will be brought in on loan and the weak link offered out on loan somewhere else. Sometimes a spell out on loan can focus that players mind and make him more determined to meet the challenge when his loan spell ends.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
80sglory
August 8, 2012, 5:06am
Guest User
Am I the only one who wants to see fringe players STAY at BP instead of being loaned out ?

When I heard of the reserves coming back, wondered whether we'd use part of the budget to bring in cheaper younger players for the future. (wish list)
Now it strikes me anyone who has signed is potentially gonna fit straight in to the side. (makes sense !  )
So ideally we need 2 full sides playing regularly, keeping match-fit, creating competition, pushing for those places.

But....
IF the plan is now to largely fill the reserves up with youth team players and ship potential 1st teamers (who aren't playing 1st XI) OUT, then why on earth did we bother bringing the reserves back in the first place ?!  
I just don't get it...  
Is it cos we could still be stuck with other players we CAN'T loan out cos they're not match fit ?
Who knows but thought the whole point was to get players fit and up to speed HERE (in the reserves) for them to be knocking on the 1st team door ?
Unless the likes of Boston or Gainsborough can offer better training facilities/coaching etc then what IS the point ?...

I really commend the club for bringing the reserves back but having come this far, hope we treat it seriously to promote competition and improve players - not just for fitness reasons or to say "Oh look we've done it".
If you're trying to build something of value, you need to commit ENOUGH time, effort (and money !) to deliver the benefits.
Personally I would raise the bar further and also provide enough money for a reserve team coach/manager (or Dave Moore !  )

Sure it all costs money but there's little point investing time and money into a plan only to miss out the final vital pieces of the jigsaw or decide to do something completely different at the last minute.
If you're gonna loan the majority of fringe players away from the club (recent history says it's happened before!) you might as well have saved ALL the money spent on the reserves, just signed fewer players and taken more on loan yourself.  
What we've got now is 18 players that will probably be 16 if a couple (on average) are injured - Is 5 (16-11) really enough for a competitive 2nd string ?
Or is the danger we end up with an unproductive mish-mash of youth/pros where we gain little ? You tell me !

And is there really much point in taking these decisions for the cost of "1 out" ?  
That's if we can. For all we know come January there might be another Liam Hearn who S&H really want that can't come cos no-one here will leave.
Is anyone really gonna pay e.g an out-of favour Eldings wages ? I doubt a promising (but young) player like Southwell will raise a fortune on loan.
And why would we want any player to leave BP right now anyway ? (see reserve benefits)

Don't get me wrong, certainly not saying "S&H will be successful so that's why we should back them with oodles more cash".
But if we're in for a pound, please let's be in for another few pence and at least give them every chance of getting OUR new strategy right?
IMO what we don't need is complex cutoff rules or bizarre looking "spend to then save" tactics that hinder us reaching our potential.

Please let's continue acting professionally (like we believe in what we're trying to do) and be in no doubt the managers have all the necessary tools at their disposal. Who knows whether going an extra 10% could make all the difference ?

Obviously they may fall short anyway but at least we'll be in a much better position to know for sure.
End of the day there'll be little consolation in "just missing out" if the difference between success and failure boils down to having a reserve side ultimately unfit for purpose or not being prepared to pay 1 players wages.
We've come this far - maybe I'm missing something but just feels like we're creeping close to taking larger risks (by not being willing to complete the whole jigsaw) for much smaller gains. Hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm not.

PS if you don't like honest opinions intended to help the club avoid potential mistakes then tough.  
PPS If you don't like reading long posts then no-ones forcing you to read it are they ?
Reply: 75 - 77
chaos33
August 8, 2012, 7:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,985
Gold Stars: 365
That's a very long, albeit well constructed argument based on a comment that may have been throwaway, impulsive or in fact used only with the intention of manipulating the players in the squad to keep up their standards for fear of drifting out of the managers' plans. People have really put two and two together on this topic. In all likelihood, nobody will be loaned out because the squad isn't big enough to allow it, and there are no players who would ostensibly sit outside the plans for the team. There are also no players here that the managers don't want (like Makofo or Garner or Leary etc). All of that has been done.

I think lots of people have read too much into Hurst's comments. Immediately people start writing about Elding, the probablity of him being loaned out, and then there are the long threads based upon whether the experts at the Fishy think he's good enough to start or not, to say nothing of the dark sub-plot and hidden agenda to sell Hearn the many alarmists would have you believe. All will be revealed in good time. I really don't see any of our players being loaned or sold between now and the start of the season. Hurst's comment that we'll be 'starting the season with what we've got' is one which, in my view, can be taken more literally.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
80sglory
August 8, 2012, 10:29am
Guest User
Good post and I generally accept all you say.

tbh not so concerned about players leaving, more about whether enough pros will be playing in the reserves to make it's resurrection worthwhile.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun but like you say it seems pretty clear we'll generally be "starting the season with what we've got".
So for example, could we be looking at using the reserves to test out trialists in the future ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be overly critical of the great work being done at the club.
In fact it's very reassuring to know those that have come in are willing and ready to put on the shirt straight away.
But without buying players just for the sake of it, thought we might have gone for 1 or 2 younger players for the future to help make up the reserve numbers.

To be frank my wild guess was part of the reasoning for a reserve side might also have been to use it as a bedding ground for younger players to play a season (should the club ever feel the need to embark on a cloth cutting exercise.)
Now perhaps it's unwise to prepare the bed for the possibility of a new manager wanting to clear the decks all over again.
But god forbid should the worst happen I presume there may be some need for younger cheaper players brought into the mix at some point anyway - so think it might at least be worth considering as a transitional stepping stone.

At the end of the day whether the season results in success or not, just think whatever happens, it's something else for the future.
Fingers crossed the players we've got will make us proud but no harm in having an backup idea in reserve (pardon the pun !  )
That said, I do accept the argument that any club has it's own funding priorities and money doesn't always grow on trees.
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1 Out 1 In.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.